IGNORED

Flint

gordie

Would he be playing if Karleigh Osbourne hadn't got injured in Botswana? One players bad luck is another's good luck, for me he has been the most improved player this season and I would worry if he wasn't playing now.

Flint has gone from looking like an accident waiting to happen to a very good and very consistent performer. Would also say that the improvement in Joe Bryan and Frank Fielding has also been great. Somebody's doing something good here: The manager rightly takes a lot of the credit but the coaching staff have been doing a brilliant job..

Short answer is no

Flint massive improvement started at the end of February last season

Indeed, Cots. had given plenty of clues last season to how highly he rated Flint.

He'd found his form at City well before his injury at Shrewsbury with a number of MOTM performances, alot of fans seem to have forgotten that.

After some of our players getting (rightly) slated for poor performances last year/season , the change has been nothing short of remarkable.

FF has been brilliant lately, not sure about the quarterback play Sunday , and Flint has been outstanding. 

Nice that the stuck record recently is..... a lot of credit has to go to the manager. 

Short answer is no

Flint massive improvement started at the end of February last season

I can't help but think that being central in a 3-5-2 suits Flint better than 4-4-2. He doesn't really have to play the ball out that often and can simply concentrate on doing what he does best- defending. When he has the ball at his feet he has simple options to his left and right and that's taking pressure off him.

I don't think I ever doubted his ability to defend (he would head a low flying aircraft away from our goal). I just panicked when ever he was asked to play out from the back- in the centre of a three he doesn't have to do anything too complicated as he has Williams and Bryan offering a simple pass to his left and Ayling and Little to his right.

Either way when you consider that two of the back three and the goalkeeper couldn't buy a clean sheet for months last season the turn around by Cotts and the players is brilliant. Long may it continue.

I can't help but think that being central in a 3-5-2 suits Flint better than 4-4-2. He doesn't really have to play the ball out that often and can simply concentrate on doing what he does best- defending. When he has the ball at his feet he has simple options to his left and right and that's taking pressure off him.

I don't think I ever doubted his ability to defend (he would head a low flying aircraft away from our goal). I just panicked when ever he was asked to play out from the back- in the centre of a three he doesn't have to do anything too complicated as he has Williams and Bryan offering a simple pass to his left and Ayling and Little to his right.

Either way when you consider that two of the back three and the goalkeeper couldn't buy a clean sheet for months last season the turn around by Cotts and the players is brilliant. Long may it continue.

too be fair manc, along with frank fielding, flints ball distrabution is the most improved part of his play he's knocked some pretty useful balls down the channels this season

too be fair manc, along with frank fielding, flints ball distrabution is the most improved part of his play he's knocked some pretty useful balls down the channels this season

I agree Monkeh, my point was that because he has the simple option to his left and right he can wait until he has the time and space to play the balls down the channels/into midfield (which makes it less complicated and rushed). Unlike last year when he was put under pressure time and again to pick out a difficult pass and the ball was then routinely punted towards 3ft 2 inch* Sammy Baldock or he got himself in a mess.

I wasn't intending on my previous post being negative as anyone who has seen Flint playing this season knows how much he has improved and it would be doing him a disservice to suggest otherwise. I was simply trying to offer an explanation as to what I feel has helped him improve.

Notes * this may or may not be Baldocks actual height.

Flint is the type of defender that's perfect for League 1. He wins the first ball most of the time or he intercepts it and clears it. He'll get you the odd goal as well.

Not sure he's got what it takes to be as effective in the Championship though.

No one can be certain, but with his consistent excellence this season it's looking more and more likely.

A Championship club, Huddersfield, were said to be interested in Flint in January.

Flint's come up from non league and met the challenge to excel at every level he's played at.

Very much like Shaun Taylor in fact, who went from non league at 23 to go on and eventually play PL football.

I've certainly got no doubts about Flint coping with the step up- one of the best centre backs in this division and still learning, and still improving..

Liked him, always liked him (yes Nogbad he's almost perfect) and at 25 he should have years in him yet. Seems a great character to have around and has a bit of Cotterill-esque 'winner' stamped through him as well.

He has also steadied Fielding too, have you noticed how most games just before KO he grabs Fieldings head in both hands and gives him a talking to. Dunno what he says but it works.

Flint is the type of defender that's perfect for League 1. He wins the first ball most of the time or he intercepts it and clears it. He'll get you the odd goal as well.

Not sure he's got what it takes to be as effective in the Championship though.

Boom Boom made a decent go of a championship defender and Flint is better then McCombe, he also had a prem teams striker force on toast for 80 minutes,

I think he can make the step up,

Boom Boom made a decent go of a championship defender and Flint is better then McCombe, he also had a prem teams striker force on toast for 80 minutes,

I think he can make the step up,

Like most City fans I hope he can make the step up but having one solid game against West Ham doesn't tell us much. The entire City squad were psyched up for that match, particularly Flint who was chomping at the bit to face Andy Carroll.

My only disappointment with Flint is his lack of goals at set pieces. Should be in double figures now.

But what an improvement since Cotts arrived in his defensive play.

Not sure I agree. He has 4 so far this season which puts him on course for 7/8, not a bad return for a centre back at all in my opinion. Also, whilst he's a big man lets not forget he isn't our only big man and for crosses he isn't on the end of Matt Smith, Wilbraham etc may have been.

Would he be playing if Karleigh Osbourne hadn't got injured in Botswana? One players bad luck is another's good luck, for me he has been the most improved player this season and I would worry if he wasn't playing now.

Very much doubt it. SC has always spoken about Flint very highly and clearly rates him. For the system we play the current back 3 at this level are perfect for it.

Archived