IGNORED

Smallest Away Following

allyolly

Norwich in the old First Division, Christmas time, late '70's.

Having a friend at UEA  a couple of carloads of us went up the day before to make a weekend of it as well as watch the game.

When we arrived at Carrow Road the next day it was so cold that most of our party filtered into the comparative warmth of the crowded home stands.

Me and one other went into the away section, a large covered terrace with a huge dividing fence, packed on the other side with Norwich fans, and found just 2 other City fans in there.

Apparently, with a big freeze gripping the country, the roads had become impassable overnight and the City supporters' coaches had either not set off, or turned back.

So there were just 4 of us in the freezing away end - with at least 8 others in the home stands - in a biting wind, at the mercy of hundreds of Norwich fans pressed up against the fencing shouting and chanting directly at us for the full 90 minutes.

And City lost, of course.

At Halifax midweek in 82/3 the official coach was barely half full, I doubt there were more than 30 of us there.

As Super said for Cremonese away in the Anglo Italian there were less than 10, for Pisa on the other hand we took 400-500, though I only went to the former...

Having got arrested vs Rotherham in the FA Cup 2nd round game in 1989, and subsequently banned for the rest of the season, I decided that I'd sneak in one night and go in the away end

Was at home to Chester, freezing cold January night, we won 1-0, and if anyone looked closely there was one away fan (out of about 13) who looked happier than the rest

Does that count?

Just started preparing my file...

I actually thought there was quite a few that night. Was defo 3-2 or maybe 4-2. Remember someone near me brought their American flat mates from uni. They left after 25 minutes!

Ahh, yes, I was there too. It was Champions league night and I asked my London based boss if he fancied going to the big game..he was a little disappointed when we arrived at the ground.

Funniest thing was that there was one guy at the back of the "stand" who spent the whole half abusing the Barnet keeper and, due to the quietness it stood out like a sore thumb.

Just started preparing my file...

Honestly, Fordy - they took my photo and then told me that my photo would be placed on every turnstile so I couldn't get back in for the rest of the season. That was the height of security in those days, and I believed them! Went in the Members area for a Notts County LDV game, tucked my long hair up into my ski hat so I'd look different. Spent the entire 90 mins shitting myself I was going to get nabbed again

Bloody coppers.... :P

Wasn't it 95ish people who went to Hull on the Friday night after we got relegated from the championship.

Also its crazy how people perceptions of how big a crowd is vary from one fan to another... and then even more so from the official numbers.

average-attendances-league1.png

It's also amazing what difference having a good season can make. Or maybe not.

I imagine this seasons figures will look much better.

Wasn't it 95ish people who went to Hull on the Friday night after we got relegated from the championship.

Also its crazy how people perceptions of how big a crowd is vary from one fan to another... and then even more so from the official numbers.

average-attendances-league1.png

Considering we only have a few "close" games, we were playing the worst football in decades, we had a manager that is as inspiring as a wet flannel just under 800 isn't too bad.

Luton away around 93/94 Anglo Italian Cup, couldn't have been more than 40 there, in the days when you had to have a ticket in advance to get in at Luton, Martin Scott couldn't even give his complimentary tickets away ......... and they made you sit in seat number on your ticket

That's the one I remember as being the least City fans. Thought it was just over 70 when we counted but that could have been seeing double from the pub!

I swear there were only about 15-20 at Southend on our speedy decent through the Leagues. 3rd Div game 1982.

There were more in Colchester on the Tuesday night Div 4 , 0-0  that lives long in the memory. Couple of coaches though.

Ahh, yes, I was there too. It was Champions league night and I asked my London based boss if he fancied going to the big game..he was a little disappointed when we arrived at the ground.

Funniest thing was that there was one guy at the back of the "stand" who spent the whole half abusing the Barnet keeper and, due to the quietness it stood out like a sore thumb.

You're not a true City fan unless you've done a 1st round LDV away fixture!

A Tuesday night 4 May 1982  Huddersfield lost 5 - 0  

One mini bus of 12 plus a couple of others, the defeat all but confirmed our relegation

But the travelling few were even less the following season when we had a second leg league cup tie away at Sheffield Wednesday, having lost the first leg 2-1, we couldn't even raise a mini bus, Beryl however managed to get 4 of us tickets on the team coach and tickets for the Directors box for the match. There was at least one other City fan there that night and you could hear his songs echoing around a very quiet and empty Hillsborough as we forced extra time before eventually drawing 1-1.

In our bottom division years, always met some mates for a drink before the game. We used to all guess the away crowd standing in the away end (as was then). Whoever was furthest away got the first round afterwards. After various disagreements, we had to agree to count who was actually visible at 3.15 pm. 40-50 were popular guesses.

Often kept us entertained during a dull match for a few minutes.

A Tuesday night 4 May 1982  Huddersfield lost 5 - 0  

One mini bus of 12 plus a couple of others, the defeat all but confirmed our relegation

But the travelling few were even less the following season when we had a second leg league cup tie away at Sheffield Wednesday, having lost the first leg 2-1, we couldn't even raise a mini bus, Beryl however managed to get 4 of us tickets on the team coach and tickets for the Directors box for the match. There was at least one other City fan there that night and you could hear his songs echoing around a very quiet and empty Hillsborough as we forced extra time before eventually drawing 1-1.

Ha ha was going to ask if anyone went to that Sheff Wed match. Thought the following would have been particularly low!

Me and a mate cycled down from Kingswood to the Gate to try to book CATS a few days before as were too young to drive in those days. Beryl told us no coach due to lack of interest.

I remember Nogbad saying there were only a dozen or so City fans at Norwich in the late 70s due to heavy snow.

I think that's going to be hard to beat!

I just had to 'like' his post out of either admiration or sympathy, not sure which!

I remember Nogbad saying there were only a dozen or so City fans at Norwich in the late 70s due to heavy snow.

My Dad was on that coach, he never mentioned snow but I swear he was 15 so was roughly 1972? I think he said it finished 2-2 he reckoned there was 50 or so City.

They had to scrap their way back to the coach by all accounts too!

My Dad was on that coach, he never mentioned snow but I swear he was 15 so was roughly 1972? I think he said it finished 2-2 he reckoned there was 50 or so City.

They had to scrap their way back to the coach by all accounts too!

Different Norwich match Puckle, I was talking about 78, possibly 79, in the old First Division.

The City coaches never got there.

Always freezing in Norwich, the irony was the roads in Norfolk itself weren't too bad once you'd got there, it was getting up there from Bristol that stymied the coaches.

Good memory Lew, I was in the middle of re-writing that same story at the exact time you posted. 

Luton away around 93/94 Anglo Italian Cup, couldn't have been more than 40 there, in the days when you had to have a ticket in advance to get in at Luton, Martin Scott couldn't even give his complimentary tickets away ......... and they made you sit in seat number on your ticket

There were far more than that - must have been 30 or so of the old London Crew there....

Archived