IGNORED

Player Ratings

old_eastender

Strange game, City looked a bit flat and the crowd was fairly quiet too. Vale worked hard, closed us down and won most loose balls unless near Korey.

My ratings:

Fielding 7 - Great first half save and did everything well, except for the punch/flap that gifted Vale their goal.

Tavernier 5 - Very poor first half, looked better in the second but not a patch on Little at his best.

Williams 7 - Solid all round performance.

Flint 8 - Immense in defence, saved a goal.

Ayling 7 - Usual very assured performance.

Korey Smith 9 - Man of the match for me, so important to us.

Elliot 6 - A bit slow and some dodgy cross field passing which put our defenders under pressure.

Freeman 7 - Great ball retention, should have scored just before HT.

JET 7 - Great goal, so nearly a second towards the end.

Matt Smith 7 - Got bullied out of it a bit, but took his goal neatly.

Bryan 8 - Played well, even if goal was a fluke.

Subs - Pack & Cunningham looked solid when came on, can't recall Agard hardly having a touch in the few minutes he was on.

Will need to play with much more intensity against Sheff. Utd, but can't knock another 3 points!

Strange game, City looked a bit flat and the crowd was fairly quiet too. Vale worked hard, closed us down and won most loose balls unless near Korey.

My ratings:

Fielding 7 - Great first half save and did everything well, except for the punch/flap that gifted Vale their goal.

Tavernier 5 - Very poor first half, looked better in the second but not a patch on Little at his best.

Williams 7 - Solid all round performance.

Flint 8 - Immense in defence, saved a goal.

Ayling 7 - Usual very assured performance.

Korey Smith 9 - Man of the match for me, so important to us.

Elliot 6 - A bit slow and some dodgy cross field passing which put our defenders under pressure.

Freeman 7 - Great ball retention, should have scored just before HT.

JET 7 - Great goal, so nearly a second towards the end.

Matt Smith 7 - Got bullied out of it a bit, but took his goal neatly.

Bryan 8 - Played well, even if goal was a fluke.

Subs - Pack & Cunningham looked solid when came on, can't recall Agard hardly having a touch in the few minutes he was on.

Will need to play with much more intensity against Sheff. Utd, but can't knock another 3 points!

Tavernier was impressive in my opinion. Used the ball well and defended well

Mine would be as follows :

Fielding - 7: actually played very well until the Phillips like punch. Still, if ever there was a game to get a gaffe out of the system this was it.

Williams - 7: mostly solid and a moment of outrageous skill in the first half.

Flint - 7: he did what he does, win the headers and keep it tight

Ayling - 6: Felt he was looking leggy and not helped by tavernier leaving him exposed to often

Bryan - 8: Excellent work rate and surging runs. Only a few minor mistakes.

Tavernier - 5: Not sold with this guy. Good going forward but very lacking in defensive positional sense. Need to see more from him.

Elliot: 5 - Performance riddled with sloppy passes, weird decision making and lacking a yard of pace. Can't help but feel time is running out. Having said that, he did make one excellent surging run in the second half but that was an isolated moment of excellence.

K Smith - 7: As with Flint, he did his role for the team excellently.

JET - 9: quite simply, when he turns it on, he is unplayable. His strength and skill were on point tonight and he closed down the opposition well at times.

Freeman - 9: As with JET, Freeman can be unstoppable. Another exciting and scintillating performance from him.

M smith - 7: Thought he was quiet before and after his goal but did a lot of off the ball work hassling and dragging the opposition out of play to make room for JET and Freeman.

COYR!

Difficult to split Korey, Freeman and Bryan for me. Probably give it to Freeman though for his sheer desire to possess the ball. You know it's good when you leave the Gate after scoring 3 but still a bit pissed off that we let 1 in!! Happy days.

I thought Tavernier was poor.

I though FF had a good game, flap aside.

Korey Smith is possibly the best City player I've ever seen. And Flinty wins so much in the air, I can forgive him for the odd occasion where he thinks he's David Beckham.

Also, Joe Bryan is a ******* Salmon.

It's interesting to read the conflicting views on Tavernier. Obviously a Marmite player. Personally, I don't think he's any improvement on Wagstaff as a back up to Little.

Not suggesting the lad is lacking in ability, just that he could have been more positive. That's more positive in defence and attack.

Tavernier was much better second half but I think we played better second half as a whole until the very end.

For me Korey was the best player on the pitch by some distance. Freeman and Bryan played really well too but I think Korey only gave the ball away once all game and he always found time and space to wriggle away from challenges and retain possession, winning a lot of ball on the way as usual. He really is some player.

I did state my concerns about Tavernier after the Gills paint pot game but have to say he was much, much, improved tonight, so there might be hope. Saying that though I much prefer Little to play there but as it seems he has to be rested occasionally then I fully appreciate why Tavernier is being used in certain matches.

Fielding had to make quite a few crucial saves as Port Vale attacked in numbers and we had to concentrate hard.

Bryan had a good game, Freeman never stopped, and Jet was more involved than I had seen him in a long time.

Matt Smith looked quite isolated, winning lots of knock down headers but heading them to no one for large periods of the game. Looked like we really lacked a quick striker to get on the end of them.

A bit sad to hear the comments about Tavernier- away at Rotherham last season I thought he was the best player I saw all season last year, so I was expecting big things from him

Onwards and upwards. Looking forward to possibly seeing him for myself at Donny away in a couple of weeks

I did state my concerns about Tavernier after the Gills paint pot game but have to say he was much, much, improved tonight, so there might be hope. Saying that though I much prefer Little to play there but as it seems he has to be rested occasionally then I fully appreciate why Tavernier is being used in certain matches.

Fielding had to make quite a few crucial saves as Port Vale attacked in numbers and we had to concentrate hard.

Bryan had a good game, Freeman never stopped, and Jet was more involved than I had seen him in a long time.

Matt Smith looked quite isolated, winning lots of knock down headers but heading them to no one for large periods of the game. Looked like we really lacked a quick striker to get on the end of them.

Interesting you should say about Smith. One of the funniest moments last night was one of JET's many runs and he decided to slot a through ball past the defender for Smith to chase. I had to laugh; no JET, thats not what Matt Smith is here for!

Incidentally if Flint had to mark Smith, I'd back Flinty all day long. He really does win everything.

Interesting you should say about Smith. One of the funniest moments last night was one of JET's many runs and he decided to slot a through ball past the defender for Smith to chase. I had to laugh; no JET, thats not what Matt Smith is here for!

Incidentally if Flint had to mark Smith, I'd back Flinty all day long. He really does win everything.

I remember that ball. If Smith had gone the opposite direction to the one he chose it was actually a pretty good ball which should have resulted in a Smith goal and a Jet assist. Yes it was nearly that simple.

Yes but our defenders weren't concentrating hard for a good 20 - 30 minutes at the beginning of the game.

I am grateful Port Vale are such a poor side, otherwise we would have been turned over in that early spell.

Yes but our defenders weren't concentrating hard for a good 20 - 30 minutes at the beginning of the game.

I am grateful Port Vale are such a poor side, otherwise we would have been turned over in that early spell.

They weren't that poor. I actually though they did the long ball reasonably well. 

If I were looking back as a Vale fan, i'd have thought that the first goal should have been saved, Bryan's deflected effort was hideously unlucky. Smith's third was horrendous defending.

Going forward, i genuinely though they were OK.

They weren't that poor. I actually though they did the long ball reasonably well. 

If I were looking back as a Vale fan, i'd have thought that the first goal should have been saved, Bryan's deflected effort was hideously unlucky. Smith's third was horrendous defending.

Going forward, i genuinely though they were OK.

I thought they played well in spells too, And it could of been a nervy finish had Fielding not made that save with his legs in the 85th min.

Archived