IGNORED

The Pitch V Port Vale

meltonmowbrayred

Could it be that our sloppy passing display against Port Vale was due in part to the Pitch?

I thought that even with the round ball it looked pretty bobbly to me.

We need the surface to be very flat as i believe this will give us an advantage against most teams

I was also very frustrated with how long it took to replace the "oval" ball as it was clearly not rolling across the surface well ; wondered why the players didn't seem to notice.

I noticed a fair few times that passes played on the deck were bobbling up and down slightly. I was sat at the front of the Williams so was in a good  position to notice. Don't think you can pick it up from the top of the Dolman or Ateyo.

I clocked it from the top of the Dullmoan.It looked like a carpet but it certainly was a bit bobbly.

Interesting, I was not at this game or the West Ham game, I listened to the WH game in the car on Talk Sport and Alvin Martin mentioned a few times how bobbly our pitch was, at the time I thought what's he on about, our pitch is top notch.

Maybe we do have a problem #bobblegate

I noticed a fair few times that passes played on the deck were bobbling up and down slightly. I was sat at the front of the Williams so was in a good  position to notice. Don't think you can pick it up from the top of the Dolman or Ateyo.

I totally concur Kez, it did'nt look the best of surfaces after the rugby. Personally I wish Mr Lansdown would buy the MEM off the gypsys and turn it into a proper rugby stadium!

After the West Ham game Allardyce called it a 'bobbly pitch'. There were one or two bad bounces in the Port Vale game. Pitch probably not quite as good as last season (but there was no rugby then). However probably still the best in our league and this time of year is probably the worst, it should improve over the next few weeks as the weather warms up.

In the front of the Williams it was very apparent first half, passes played along the ground were bobbling up shin high by the time they reached the player, and we were noticeably struggling passing it round the back. But I didn't notice any problems second half so it may well have been down to the ball.

Out of curiosity, what happens to the pitch in the summer? Traditionally it would be reseeded from scratch, but what happens to Desso pitch? Surely not another million quid for a new one?

The polypropylene twines that are inserted in the pitch do not show above the surface. They are there for the grass roots to intertwine with, so that the roots do not get kicked out.

I am no expert on re-seeding football pitches but on my lawn one only needs to roughen up the top one centimetre of soil to sew grass seed.

The expected life of this pitch is about ten years before it will need more attention than normal annual reseeding.

In the front of the Williams it was very apparent first half, passes played along the ground were bobbling up shin high by the time they reached the player, and we were noticeably struggling passing it round the back. But I didn't notice any problems second half so it may well have been down to the ball.

I am convinced that the problem was due to one faulty ball.

Archived