IGNORED

"if" We Get To The Championship, Sl Will Go For It

Jesus

The problem is I'm sure every chairman in the championship will be thinking the same thing and only three will be able to go up so going to be some clubs in trouble luckilly I think lansdown knows success is in building from top to bottom and not panicking 

But realistically, how many chairman in the championship have got the spending power of Landsdown? If you put him against chairman of the Premier League, he comes out in 6th (in terms of wealth)

I don't know if he will. I can understand the temptation money wise and the ambition matched with achievement, but the Premiership has become very tainted and certainly not what it used to be.

I was only saying on Tuesday that if, yes if, we get back into the Championship I will relish every game and not take things for granted like I perhaps did before. I won't go wishing the games away in the scramble to get to the Premiership as I don't like what I see and will probably be too expensive or what I can justify paying for football anyway.

There are some great teams in the Championship, better than some in the Prem as far as I'm concerned. I think the Championship would be our level, lets establish ourselves there and be considered one of the better teams there...at least or a few years.

He will take a measured and safe approach. He will recruit where we need to recruit and build the club forwards in the way we have this season. If we went gung ho and got relegated we would be back where we were 3 years ago and he won't risk that. Should we go up I would expect us to fit somewhere 13th-17th , and the club will be happy with that, then look to build to be mid table, so in 3 years time we hopefully have a side that has been built to aim for promotion. By that time our Stadium will be all finished, the books will be balanced and a lot of our promising youngsters will be at their peak and will be worth a lot of money should we get promoted or go close to going up.

For the first time in a long time, this club is being run like a business with a long term aim. I don't see any chance of Lansdown jeopardising that and splashing the cash to attract fancy players. He will have learned big time from the Coppell debacle and I doubt he will risk it again.

I don't know if he will. I can understand the temptation money wise and the ambition matched with achievement, but the Premier League has become very tainted and certainly not what it used to be.

I was only saying on Tuesday that if, yes if, we get back into the Championship I will relish every game and not take things for granted like I perhaps did before. I won't go wishing the games away in the scramble to get to the Premier League as I don't like what I see and will probably be too expensive or what I can justify paying for football anyway.

There are some great teams in the Championship, better than some in the Prem as far as I'm concerned. I think the Championship would be our level, lets establish ourselves there and be considered one of the better teams there...at least or a few years.

Yes I'm really looking forward to next season  :chant6ez:      

:fingerscrossed:

I would hate for us to become a 'QPR.' 

We're going about our business the right way now. We have a core of good young players who can take us places if we keep the faith in them. 

Yes, maybe splash some cash on a top striker and midfielder to replace Wilbs and Elliott long term. But that aside, I don't think we need to add that much to this group. 

RedM has hit the nail on the head with his comments above. Lets just go up and enjoy the Championship. After the previous few seasons of struggling at the bottom end, I will sure be looking forward to seeing how this squad fair compared to Gary's promotion chasing squad.

*I understand that we will have to conform with FFP, but he could get around that with a decent "Landsdowne Hargreaves" sponsorship deal.

You are twenty years out of date.

Hargreaves Landsdowne is a major plc. It is not the plaything of any one or two people where it can move money where it wants regardless of any commercial justification.

In the nicest possible way, the fan base of bcfc is hardly the target market for a company offering investment management and wealth protection.

I don't think we should change things now. You only have to look around the current squad to see that SC's recruitment is only partly based on ability and i think thats why he has been very cagey in the loan market. he would rather have a smaller tight knit squad of players with the right attitude and will only add those he think will gel with them. 

Look at the bottom half of the championship and try and work out how much money is invested in the squads at Wigan, Bolton, Reading, Fulham and Leeds, then try to equate that with where they are in the table, it's not the main recipe for success. It works for the big clubs, because they don't just have money, they have a reputation and that attracts the best players when they want to spend money. Clubs like ours and the ones mentioned above attract expensive players that don't necessarily have the ability to match their value, or they are only interested in money and not the club.

Am I the only one who isn't particularly fussed about getting in the prem?

I'm happy for us to be a settled mid table championship team.  I dread the price hikes and lack of involvement we will have with our club compared to now.

Sorry to be contraversial, and there is a part of me that would enjoy playing prem teams, just not all the faffing and bullshit that goes with it.

:noexp:  :surrender:  :mf_sleep:

Am I the only one who isn't particularly fussed about getting in the prem?

I'm happy for us to be a settled mid table championship team.  I dread the price hikes and lack of involvement we will have with our club compared to now.

Sorry to be contraversial, and there is a part of me that would enjoy playing prem teams, just not all the faffing and bullshit that goes with it.

:noexp:  :surrender:  :mf_sleep:

I can see some of that point of view Dolls but I don't think this would ever be feasible. It would become pretty obvious after a while if every time we had a run of results that would have us flirting with promotion, we did something to ensure we fell away again. After a while the fans and players would start to realise the lack of ambition and both would start to fall away. In those circumstances we would be more likely to be relegated, and that would be harder to avoid than promotion.

Didnt we do this in 2007? SL is on record as saying he now wants us to live within our means, i thought?

I will get my tin hat on but if SL and the board would have thrown some cash at in the January of 2008 we would either still be in the top flight or at least had a decent spell up there...

I will get my tin hat on but if SL and the board would have thrown some cash at in the January of 2008 we would either still be in the top flight or at least had a decent spell up there...

Agree - as much as Adebola was great for us, he is not the sort/age of player you buy if you're serious about promotion to the premier league. Hull got Campbell in and the rest is history.

Archived