IGNORED

Cole Skuse

foghornred

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/26814/?

Underrated by many at City but one of their best signings according to the manager.   

If you read the article it would appear McCarthy's attempting to justify the signing, and inclusion, of Skuse because 'he has been maligned at some stages since he's been here.', i.e. the fans are far from convinced.

The Ipswich fans, as has been reported on here previously, (with links to their forum) are very split on their opinions of Skuse, with many not rating him.

Let's not get carried away by headlines, as 'one of his best signings' McCarthy's only actually comparing Skuse with other free signings he's made in the relatively short time he's been there, not one of his best ever signings as a manager.

Skuse will always divide opinion. After such a promising start to his City career in the end many were not sorry to see him leave City as his performances deteriorated markedly as the years went by to the point that he stagnated completely at BCFC.

He may well have got a new lease of life under a manager apparently determined to get him accepted and appreciated, so it augurs well for a good career at Ipswich, at least for as long as McCarthy stays there. Whether the Ipswich fans will take their manager's protestations of Skuse's importance over any contrasting evidence of their own eyes is another matter. 

As for the Skuse/Korey Smith comparison, too early to be certain, but I never witnesed a 6 month period for Skuse at City when he was anything like as consistently impressive as Korey Smith has been this season.

Should Korey maintain this form into coming seasons - and let's face it he's young enough and showing enough potential to get alot better - there will be no justifiable comparison to be made, Korey Smith will win hands down.

What does McCarthy know? He's just some bloke who played for Man City, Celtic etc and who managed the Republic of Ireland, Sunderland, Wolves & Ipswich. How does that compare to the experts on the forum who know that Skuse is total crap?

I don't think anyone has said he's crap, though many would say he was very average in all respects.

But are you being serious with the above? As City supporters we may well have watched Skuse play in 150 games, or more, in his 279 City apps. We've seen how he performs in good teams, bad teams, promotion teams and relegation teams.

We know, far better than McCarthy when he signed him, EXACTLY what Skuse is made of.

Let's not forget McCarthy has made plenty of duff signings in his managerial career, so his judgement of players is always open to question.

Skuse is rated not only by McCarthy and was not only first on the team sheet under every City manager he played under, but is also rated by ex-pros I have spoken to.

As fans we want spectacular but every single manager and fellow pro values someone with the technical ability, consistency, reliability and discipline which Skuse has.

I was at the Brighton v Ipswich game a couple of weeks ago so made a point of keeping a close eye on Skuse..

He played deep for Ipswich, marshalled them whilst reading the game well, cleaning up and feeding the flair players to let them do their bit.. He did an awful lot of pointing (Kila anybody :laugh:) but looked one of the more stable and influential players if not spectacular.

Saying that, a poor Brighton team won over a what should be a championship play off Ipswich..

Ridiculous mate.

Smith - half a season in division 3.

Skuse - mostly played in Division 2, that's why he's there now.

Skuse - unspectacular, etc. Yes. Nobby Siles has got a World Cup Winners Medal.

My point was in response to the original quote further up which suggested as Skuse has had 8 consecutive seasons up there he was suggesting that made Skuse the better player.

Skuse 8 years, most of which in a struggling team, with City and Ipswich.

Smith 1 year winning promotion with Norwich to the Prem.

That was my main comparison suggesting 8 consecutive years doesn't beat a promotion to the Prem, in my opinion anyway.

At what point in my post do I compare their ability? The point I was trying to make was that they have both been maligned by fans at various points in their respective careers, but their teammates would undoubtably know their true worth to the team.

You do seem to enjoy being rather aggressive towards other posters whilst coming across as knowing very little about football. Another to add to my ignore list in other words.

How do I come across as aggressive? As for not knowing little about football.. dear oh dear, I've played the game twice a week for near on 20 years so I probally know a little more than you my son..

Plonker

I'm sorry but comparing Owen Hargreaves to Skuse is ridiculous, Hargreaves was a winner, a hard man who changed games, a powerful player who even scored the odd goal... Poor poor comparison I'm afraid..

At what point in my post do I compare their ability? The point I was trying to make was that they have both been maligned by fans at various points in their respective careers, but their teammates would undoubtably know their true worth to the team.

You do seem to enjoy being rather aggressive towards other posters whilst coming across as knowing very little about football. Another to add to my ignore list in other words.

Perhaps Carrick would be a better comparison. Obviously his range of passing is better than skuse but then he has won titles with Man Utd.

Your point is accurate though. Those that know and play the game rate skuse. Those that don't, find him (them) frustrating. People have their opinions and types of player they like. Fair enough if you didn't particularly enjoy Skuse's style of play but no one can suggest he isn't any good. The facts speak volumes.

As for the Korey Smith argument. I rate Smith highly but as others have said he hasn't played regularly at championship level yet and a player will look much better in a successful league 1 side than they would in a struggling championship side.

I haven't seen Skuse in a Ipswich shirt.  I always thought he was a good utility man, who was good in a good team and crap in a crap team.  He never really offered much to be honest and I always felt he was held back by his personal fan club who were always patting him on the back regardless of how he played.  Moving to Ipswich has obviously done him no harm.  Unfortunately my abiding memory of Skuse was from our relegation season when he took a free kick on the edge of the box and passed it all the way back to the half-way line.  

I haven't seen Skuse in a Ipswich shirt.  I always thought he was a good utility man, who was good in a good team and crap in a crap team.  He never really offered much to be honest and I always felt he was held back by his personal fan club who were always patting him on the back regardless of how he played.  Moving to Ipswich has obviously done him no harm.  Unfortunately my abiding memory of Skuse was from our relegation season when he took a free kick on the edge of the box and passed it all the way back to the half-way line.

Good point. He's never going to be a match winner or take the game by the scruff of its neck. That's not his style. Therefore, perhaps you're right. He looks good in a successful team and not so good in a struggling team hence why so many didn't rate him here in his last few seasons with us?

My point was in response to the original quote further up which suggested as Skuse has had 8 consecutive seasons up there he was suggesting that made Skuse the better player.

Skuse 8 years, most of which in a struggling team, with City and Ipswich.

Smith 1 year winning promotion with Norwich to the Prem.

That was my main comparison suggesting 8 consecutive years doesn't beat a promotion to the Prem, in my opinion anyway.

In Smith's sole season in the Championship for Norwich he started just 19 games, they went up, he was a squad player at best and they moved him on.

Skuse's 8 championship seasons included 5 where the team he played for finished in the top half, so hardly "struggling".

Fact is people's careers are judged by the level they play football at and until Smith becomes at the very least a Championship regular your argument has no basis but your opinion.

Mad Mick's comments on Skuse are about right to be honest. He's reliably decent but will never be the 'best' player in a good team. However, he'll always do a job and was someone I always rated when he was here. I think the comparison between Skuse and Smith is a difficult one; Skuse rarely played in a 3 man midfield as Smith does here and I think Skuse would be great in our current team

Attending the Colchester game with the away fans summed this guy up for me. Sounds like all he needed was a change. Already a legend IMO and he'll be back a better player. Was he mis-managed here?

Explain how Skuse is a legend?

John Atyeo was a club legend, Skuse isn't and nowhere near that status.. Are we planning to build a bronze statue of him passing a ball sideways? 

The word legend is bandied around too freely these days.

Archived