IGNORED

Andrew Bilingham

NickJ

I did say this season, and lets&face it we haven't had a decent home FA Cup tie in years to compare it with, and come on give the fans 20 grand to see what they could come up with, these are business men, you would have least have to come up with a business plan to get that sort of cash. If I'm honest I haven't read every single post on here, but as far as I'm concerned I haven't seen any suggestions made that the fans have a idea to spend the money on to have something longer lasting and more effective, apologies if that isn't the case.

As indicated it is hard to judge but the Coventry and Middlesbrough games were not that long ago. The West Ham game was the biggest of the season and obvioulsy would be noisier, but it was still on the flat side.

Yes these are businessmen who are deciding to run the support as well.

Fans at Bristol City have had lots of ideas - check the ST's remarks on BS's "disappointed". BS should work alongside the ST etc. Bristol Sport are there to drive money into the club not take over everything.

The head of the ST makes the point of why do they have to be so prominent? Well they do not.

I might be terribly naive here but isn't Bristol Sport the business management arm. I would suggest it has one aim (to generate sustained business success) which it can influence in two ways (drive up income and drive down costs).

One way to drive down costs is consolidate the expensive administration function across component parts (football rugby basketball etc) into a single streamlined function - done.

The obvious way to drive up income is to increase revenue from existing customers and generate new revenue from new customers. Tapping into fans of other sports is an obvious route. a proportion of people who watch one sport might be incentivised to give another sport a go especially if there are discounts or even free tickets - Currently work in progress but a number of fans do watch football and rugby at Ashton Gate.

To make this business model work there is absolutely zero benefit in risking your safest income stream... In other words BS would never set out to deliberately drive its existing fan base away.

On this journey there will be wobbles. Getting the communication right is critical (and flags and bubble machines are two examples of NOT getting communication right). However on the balance, do people really believe there is a covert master plan to attack or even remove the existing Bcfc fan base? if you take the passion out of the issue, you might start to see through the paranoia...

:redcard:

I think this may be far too sensible and reasonable for some on here (who are obsessed by the "suits" at BS telling us how to support our club).

I might add that if I want to advertise my business then little old Bristol City doesn't really appeal.  But if I get Bristol City+Bristol Rugby+Basketball+sport's car+ etc., well that starts to sound quite interesting.

And yet again, a statement which is not true.

Nobody is micro-analysing Bristol Sport, what we are doing is questioning.

What SteveL does with his money is completely up to him, obviously. Does he though have the right, for example, to take Ashton Gate away from Bristol City fans' ownership? I don't think so, since you ask.

Nick, your wearing out that shovel (or is it a spade?), hurry up and get a new one.

On this journey there will be wobbles. Getting the communication right is critical (and flags and bubble machines are two examples of NOT getting communication right). However on the balance, do people really believe there is a covert master plan to attack or even remove the existing Bcfc fan base? if you take the passion out of the issue, you might start to see through the paranoia...

In answer to that question... there is only one answer:

However on the balance, do people really believe there is a covert master plan to attack or even remove the existing Bcfc fan base?

In answer to that, what is NOT being suggested is a plan to remove the existing BCFC fan base, what IS being suggested is a plan to control its fan base in unwanted ways.

In answer to that question... there is only one answer:

There is no paranoia. Bubbles, flags, massive gert blue logos, BS branding, unreserved sections. All these things have happened, are real, and are unwanted by many/some - take your pick.

In answer to that, what is NOT being suggested is a plan to remove the existing BCFC fan base, what IS being suggested is a plan to control its fan base in unwanted ways.

There is no paranoia. Bubbles, flags, massive gert blue logos, BS branding, unreserved sections. All these things have happened, are real, and are unwanted by many/some - take your pick.

Bubbles.....depends on whose story you believe but at worst a PR faux pas

Flags......one word on a flag

Blue logos.......there are also massive gert red logos, unless it has escaped your mind, AG is also home to Bristol Rugby

BS Branding......they are the umbrella company, most logos are accompanied with BCFC and BR badges

Unreserved sections......I thought you wanted that? If so, the club have already said it is not off the table, just not possible until redevelopment is complete

There is no paranoia. Bubbles, flags, massive gert blue logos, BS branding, unreserved sections. All these things have happened, are real, and are unwanted by many/some/a tiny vocal minority who are representative of no-one - take your pick.

Small edit for you to help people's choice.

By the way, I still haven't got over how BS used all those bubbles to control me.

Blue logos.......there are also massive gert red logos, unless it has escaped your mind, AG is also home to Bristol Rugby

BS Branding......they are the umbrella company, most logos are accompanied with BCFC and BR badges

Unreserved sections......I thought you wanted that? If so, the club have already said it is not off the table, just not possible until redevelopment is complete

You could add. The flags fiasco is to do with the Safety Advisory Group, not Bristol Sport.

As for the bubbles: utter non-story. Nothing happened.

There are a few of us that feel it is right to question. Nothing wrong with that. It doesn't detract from our support for our football club. There is a danger we could be blinded by success and in a year or two might look around and ask "where did our football club go?"

One off decisions in isolation seem not to be a problem. It's only when you step back and view them as a whole that makes you question the overall strategy.

One question that I cannot get an answer to is:

"Why is it so important to make the Bristol Sport name and logo so publicly visible?"

I should point out that the Supporters Club & Trust do question, but also try to present solutions.

Maybe Bristol Sport F.C is on the horizon and Bristol Sport R.C, and Bristol Sport ...........add whatever is already or coming under the umbrella. :glare:

Bubbles.... BS decided and changed their minds - confirmed by BS - following the uproar on here.

Flags.. it is just one word but of course it isn't just one word, if you see what I mean

Blue logos.... dominated against West Ham, that was a football day not rugby - why?

BS branding - what purpose is served?

Unreserved sections - I meant, my issue is unreserved sections are doubtful due to the SAG 10% capacity reduction, even though this is advisory not mandatory

Small edit for you to help people's choice.

Your edit your view - not shared by some/many, who in fact represent themselves if nobody else.

It appears that subtly is lost on you my friend.

Let's just say... your level of argument beats me with experience.

Well I still don't understand your point still so you will have to spell it out, if you can

You could add. The flags fiasco is to do with the Safety Advisory Group, not Bristol Sport.

Allegedly. I believe clarification has been sought on that point.

Blue logos.... dominated against West Ham, that was a football day not rugby - why?

Sorry Blue dominated against West Ham, I must be colour blind?  I saw no evidence of this I admit the West Ham supporters blatantly refused to wear red but I saw it more of a claret colour than blue, still think it was a bit off after we agreed to their bubble machine and all   :shifty: 

It is Bristol Sport.

Mr Billingham has been asked for clarity in person as the direction being given to club employees is causing confusion. The club liaison himself Saturday was unsure what is in what is out.

Hopefully this simple PR win for BS will appear this week.

Hmmmm.

No other football club seems to have to go down this route of scooping up other local sports teams/individuals in order to put themselves 'on the map'.

Have Burnley had to? Norwich? Swansea? All comparable sizes to us but better models of achieving success. And what success!

I still don't see the 'commercial sense' in putting a football club and a rugby club together. It might save the rugby club a bit, but what has it saved/gained us? Is Lansdown allowed to take money earned from beer sales on a Sunday rugby match and spend it on a loan striker in March when Smith goes? I honestly don't know that. Maybe that's how we can then spend more, 60% of Bristol Sport's income is bigger than 60% of City's. In which case why isn't everyone doing this?

I am open to hearing how combining all these sports 'makes financial sense' but how much do the basketball team cost/earn?

I know things have changed and football is very different these days - I rail against some of this but I recognise much of my railing (or safe standing) is futile - but no-one else seems to be putting themselves on the sporting map, or any other kind of a map, by hoovering up other sports.

Lansdown is a bloody brilliant businessman. With all his contacts/nous/acumen, couldn't he (and some other people, even incl Billingham given he increased Stoke's income greatly) put us on the map without the need to turn us into a brand/umbrella?

Footbal clubs can still be successful as football clubs. The game hasn't changed that much. Or at least no other clubs seem to think so as they aren't putting up any umbrellas.

Maybe Lansdown is a visionary and in a few years everyone will be doing what he's done.

But, other than a few tweets from JET about the basketball team and the rugby team having a new ground, there's been no change. (Apart from the Billingham atmos tweet, scarves...etc etc let's not retrace old ground).

Have the country suddenly seen us on the map? Too soon, maybe, but how is having a F3 racer gonna put City in the Prem?! Silly, I know, but in one sense this is what Lansdown is saying - put it all together all these sports, get us known/on the map and we'll succeed.

I am still open enough to Lansdown's ideas - he's the billionaire not me, he is successful at building up institutions, not me - but this one seems daft/annoying/a non-starter from where I am.

Happy to be proved wrong, mind.

didnt read all this but after reading your last few comments and the start of this, one thing leaps out at me- SL commenting that his inspiration for this idea (or something to that effect) was the set up at Barcelona. This was said in the pre match interview bbc did before the West Ham game

Edit- read it all now :)

One question that I cannot get an answer to is:

"Why is it so important to make the Bristol Sport name and logo so publicly visible?"

I don't know why the original brand name of 'Bristol City Football Club' should be compromised, the lack of understanding on this does lead to scepticism as demonstrated by Whistle Happy.

Attracting an extra 12,000 people to become regulars at AG, I understand as an objective. But why are these 12,000 people going to be more attracted due to our association with the name 'Bristol Sport' (a group of people employed to oversee the cooperate/commercial operations of the club)?

Is it a fear that the name 'Bristol City Football Club' is deemed a possible detraction in attracting potential future customers, despite Andrew Billingham's assurance that they don't want to meddle with the club's identity?

I speculate because I don't know but as you say, a series of these ambiguous factors has lead to cynicism.

Utter nonsense, I haven't been able to get to AG regularly this season so a large amount of blue suddenly appearing would have been noticable. It seems the BS logo is simply around where addidas or other sponsors of the past were, and to be seeing such large amounts of blue you are either specifically looking for it or looking through blue tinted specs

In 20-25 years time when we are still called Bristol City FC, if any of us are still here, there will be a small group claiming that this is only case because they fought tooth and nail to keep it that way.

As the for the amount of blue at the ground, that will be all the blue seats that we had been assured we would see when the artists renditions came out a few months ago.

Sorry Blue dominated against West Ham, I must be colour blind?  I saw no evidence of this I admit the West Ham supporters blatantly refused to wear red but I saw it more of a claret colour than blue, still think it was a bit off after we agreed to their bubble machine and all   :shifty: 

Utter nonsense, I haven't been able to get to AG regularly this season so a large amount of blue suddenly appearing would have been noticable. It seems the BS logo is simply around where addidas or other sponsors of the past were, and to be seeing such large amounts of blue you are either specifically looking for it or looking through blue tinted specs

If you sit in the Dolman you may not have seen the giant Bristol Sport BLUE banner.

Another question. Let's just say the free scarves were a great and generous idea - why was the Bristol Sport logo necessary. What would have been wrong with the current crest, or the old Robin, anything that actually "said" "Bristol City".

Another question. Let's just say the free scarves were a great and generous idea - why was the Bristol Sport logo necessary. What would have been wrong with the current crest, or the old Robin, anything that actually "said" "Bristol City".

My scarf did say Bristol City

Did it not also say "Bristol Sport" with the Bristol Sport logo?

Mine did.

I looked for the Robin - as shown in the pictures of the scarves issued prior to the game - but couldn't find it.

I believe there were some that had the robin on, I certainly saw some

As a 13 yr old lad in 1979 dad was away with work and couldn't take me to the gate against Arsenal. Gutted but not to be outdone I got the coach from Tetbury watched us lose and got back home before anyone realised where I had been! To this day I have never told my parents and now I'm closing in on fifty.

Happy Days

I reckon they might forgive you after all this time mate!!

In 20-25 years time when we are still called Bristol City FC, if any of us are still here, there will be a small group claiming that this is only case because they fought tooth and nail to keep it that way.

As the for the amount of blue at the ground, that will be all the blue seats that we had been assured we would see when the artists renditions came out a few months ago.

That will all depend on if between then and now it was decided that the name Bristol City FC offends the Poles or something. Speaking of which, how on earth have the sags got the name 'Gas' passed errrr SAG? and were SAG to step in and advise they must drop the nickname 'Gas' as there's obvious links with genocide, fascism and Polish people - I think even Rovers would tell them to **** off. Not us, though. No, these chaps like the idea of SAG sanitising football. They share the vision.

If you sit in the Dolman you may not have seen the giant Bristol Sport BLUE banner.

You mean like the writing that said "Bristol City" at the opposite end of where it said "bristol sport"?

Once again, what is the difference between that and addidas or some other brand being on it? Or is it just because you want bristol sport to be the worst thing possible so that you can argue against it?

Archived