IGNORED

Wade Elliott....time For A Break?

Londoner

Elliott was poor Tuesday night, and today struggled to have an impact on the game, time to give Saville a go?

He wasn't awful today, but far too slow to release the ball....the weakest player in the middle for both sides today.

He wasn't at his best but by no stretch was he our worst player today.

think as time has gone on elliot has a less attacking role or maybe just for today? most of the time today Corey Smith was the one going box to box and Elliot mostly covered the full backs and went deep to collect the ball .

I don't think Elliot played badly but if rested would prefer pack to start ahead of saville.

Hasn't been the same since the sending off against Swindle, can't really see him getting a new contract at the end of the season.

sadly true, odd because he was so influential linking defence with attack prior to the Swindle game... and has not been injured just doesn't seem to be able to rediscover his excellent pre-Swindle form.

Wade did not have his best game just replacing him with Pack perhaps was all that was needed. Fair play to SC for bringing Agard on and going for it but I thought at the time it was an error and that's how it turned out. Reckon we would be sat here with an extra point if we hadn't changed the shape.

Wade did not have his best game just replacing him with Pack perhaps was all that was needed. Fair play to SC for bringing Agard on and going for it but I thought at the time it was an error and that's how it turned out. Reckon we would be sat here with an extra point if we hadn't changed the shape.

It's not as if Agard's even match fit!

Awful substitution at a critical time, SC has been superb for us and I'm not criticising him in any manner but there's areason he's managing at this level, in the very same way that the players are playing at this level! They make mistakes, But I don't want to criticise anyone in the playing/management set up as most have been exceptional.

We haven't become a bad team overnight, however I do think that both mentally and physically both manager and players are mentally exhausted and our small squad is not greatly equipped to deal with such an onslaught of fixtures.

With that said maybe it's time for Saville to get a start, I thought he looked neat and energetic against West Ham, and a player that comes to the club with great experience at this level, I'm sure he's itching to play.

Let's just hope today was a blip, no need to panic, however this is Bristol City...................

As others said Wade wasn't at his best but he wasn't losing us the game either. I can see the reasoning behind going for it and if we seemed to be settling for a draw there would have been comments on here saying he should have pushed for the win.

The only trouble is that there seems an increasing gulf in quality between the regular first team starters and what we have available to use as subs. We have been really lucky that we have only had to make such few changes and kept the same players playing week in week out, but this has kept the subs bench matchtime to a minimum and they don't offer anything like the players they have to replace. In a way we are a victim of our own success. For example Agard even when fully fit wasnt exactly full of goals, to bring him on when he is obviously still coming back from an injury which kept him out for weeks and we are 'going for it' was a big ask, too big it proved.

Agreed. It was a poor substitution, and unnecessary, a point would have been fine. I'd rather we didn't 'go for it' at that point, when we were well in the game.

As others said Wade wasn't at his best but he wasn't losing us the game either. I can see the reasoning behind going for it and if we seemed to be settling for a draw there would have been comments on here saying he should have pushed for the win.

The only trouble is that there seems an increasing gulf in quality between the regular first team starters and what we have available to use as subs. We have been really lucky that we have only had to make such few changes and kept the same players playing week in week out, but this has kept the subs bench matchtime to a minimum and they don't offer anything like the players they have to replace. In a way we are a victim of our own success. For example Agard even when fully fit wasnt exactly full of goals, to bring him on when he is obviously still coming back from an injury which kept him out for weeks and we are 'going for it' was a big ask, too big it proved.

Agree whole heartedly about Agard, I personally don't think that if we step up he's going to be able to step up with us. I'm aware of his record last season and I can't fault his effort and endeavour, but I think he lacks quality. Maybe his best is yet to come? Maybe he's just not good enough. One things for sure as long as he plays for us I will support him and not get on his back (not suggesting you are), I do thing that if we go up this season then we will need to look long and hard at our striking options.

Elliott was poor but the substitution Cotterill made was madness - we gave up the midfield from that point. Joe Bryan had a shocker and should have been substitued at half time. Poor pass from him handed them the equaliser and it was all uphill from there.

Bryan had an awful first half but had improved considerably in the second and was getting some crosses in, something Cunningham didn't.

Elliott's removal left poor Korey Smith as a one-man midfield and while I think Wade was below par, I would have thought Pack was the man to send on - steadying the mf and providing those forward passes.

Agard offered precisely nothing, and it was like we were playing with 10 men.

Elliott was poor Tuesday night, and today struggled to have an impact on the game, time to give Saville a go?

He wasn't awful today, but far too slow to release the ball....the weakest player in the middle for both sides today.

I agree.His accuracy of pass has also got worse.I do not understand why Marlon Pack has not been given a run out.I thought he has been excellent when he has played for us and  a vastly improved player.Certainly looks better than Elliott on current form and also better than Saville.

As soon as Elliott was subbed for Agard we conceded midfield and Sheffield U couldn't believe their luck as they flooded through the holes at pace. Agard is not fit or strong enough to produce yet.

Saville should have replaced Elliott for more energy in midfield. Instead, JET dropped deeper to fill in and offered us nothing in protection at all there.

Poor substitution decision by Cotterill, which i really wish he would have owned up to on his BBC Radio Bristol interview. We're all human and **** up now and again. Can't he just admit this? It could go unsaid now, but the squad must know the gaffer was to blame this time.

A point would have been just fine for me today.

As soon as Elliott was subbed for Agard we conceded midfield and Sheffield U couldn't believe their luck as they flooded through the holes at pace. Agard is not fit or strong enough to produce yet.

Saville should have replaced Elliott for more energy in midfield. Instead, JET dropped deeper to fill in and offered us nothing in protection at all there.

Poor substitution decision by Cotterill, which i really wish he would have owned up to on his BBC Radio Bristol interview. We're all human and **** up now and again. Can't he just admit this? It could go unsaid now, but the squad must know the gaffer was to blame this time.

A point would have been just fine for me today.

Accepting a point would have gone against our mentality all season.  From the first game at Sheff U when we kept looking to win, we have always twisted rather than stuck.There is belief in this team that we will win, so it makes absolute sense to try to win and gain 2 points at the risk of losing 1.  It's called a winning mentality.  No one wins all the time, but those who keep trying to win are always successful in the long term.

Too many looking battle weary.

Elliott with a lot of misplaced passes.

JET losing the ball like the did in first half of the season.

Twelve goal attempts with only ONE on target.

Best of the bunch today were Freeman, K Smith and Little.

Automatic promotion did not look nailed on today. Hope it is only a blip and not two games a week syndrome because we have this for another five weeks.

Too many looking battle weary.

Elliott with a lot of misplaced passes.

JET losing the ball like the did in first half of the season.

Twelve goal attempts with only ONE on target.

Best of the bunch today were Freeman, K Smith and Little.

Automatic promotion did not look nailed on today. Hope it is only a blip and not two games a week syndrome because we have this for another five weeks.

I didn't think Frank did a lot wrong at all today, got some shocking backpasses but only a couple of poor clearances. Was off his line quickly once or twice to put the ball into the back of the stand and made a stunning save in the build up to their first goal.

I don't think it had much to do with having two games in the week, we were fairly poor against Port Vale too but fortunately they were useless.

Accepting a point would have gone against our mentality all season. From the first game at Sheff U when we kept looking to win, we have always twisted rather than stuck.There is belief in this team that we will win, so it makes absolute sense to try to win and gain 2 points at the risk of losing 1. It's called a winning mentality. No one wins all the time, but those who keep trying to win are always successful in the long term.

Think that is fair comment, and I preface this by a big 'I was only listening on the radio', but its how you go for it I suppose.

The first half actually sounded very flat and dull. Was delighted to go in one up. In the second half, prior to their goal, we actually sounded to be getting on top. They equalised. One of those things. It clearly was not flowing, but we were not exactly forced back in to our box hanging on for dear life. We were still creating the odd half chance.

Going for it is fine. However JET, Smith, Freeman and Agard all at the same time, seemed even at the time to ask a lot of K Smith! We have a certain way of playing, and in tight games have won a few. Even playing badly, we were not to far off. With 20/20 hindsight, the Agard sub played to their strengths not ours. Freshen it up for sure, but stick to the system they know.

We are where we are for a reason. No need to panic or be to clever. Just get back to basics.

Accepting a point would have gone against our mentality all season.  From the first game at Sheff U when we kept looking to win, we have always twisted rather than stuck.There is belief in this team that we will win, so it makes absolute sense to try to win and gain 2 points at the risk of losing 1.  It's called a winning mentality.  No one wins all the time, but those who keep trying to win are always successful in the long term.

True but then do you have a better chance of winning with loads of attackers or a balanced side? By taking off wade we had much less of the ball and so created less. To bring on strikers and say "we're going for it" is incredibly naive. 

Although not a regular anymore (sorry) I did go today and thought Wade, and particularly Corey and Luke were very strong. Maybe Wade wasn't as effective but for me the problem was that Bryan and Little were poor. Bryan didn't create anything (although was it his deflected cross for the goal?) and Little seemed to run head down at two or three defenders without creating a chance.

Despite the lack of penetration down the wings (not through lack of effort) we had more than our share of chances and were just beaten on the break by a pretty competent outfit. I have to say that I enjoyed the overall performance - what a joy it is to see a City team with every member comfortable on the ball.

Don't be too hard on them  :yes:

Freeman dropped back when Elliott came off, that changed our shape for me, he was effectively a right sided defensive midfielder - bad substation? No - he'd decided to make it before the goal because we were pressing, they scored against the run of play, why no make us even more attacking?

Fielding's moment, when he came out to shake cotterill's hand before clearing the ball turned it for us at the end of the first half, we visibly moved forward 5-10 yards.

When we were in our position at the start of the day, I wouldn't be surprised if the squad, management, media and the local press were informed Elliott would be subbed at 60-70 mins, he did give the ball away a bit more frequently than he usually does, he did also win the ball a fair bit with interceptions in the middle... All the negatives were symptomatic of a player that knew he was going off at some point, looking at it retrospectively

Freeman dropped back when Elliott came off, that changed our shape for me, he was effectively a right sided defensive midfielder - bad substation? No - he'd decided to make it before the goal because we were pressing, they scored against the run of play, why no make us even more attacking?

Fielding's moment, when he came out to shake cotterill's hand before clearing the ball turned it for us at the end of the first half, we visibly moved forward 5-10 yards.

When we were in our position at the start of the day, I wouldn't be surprised if the squad, management, media and the local press were informed Elliott would be subbed at 60-70 mins, he did give the ball away a bit more frequently than he usually does, he did also win the ball a fair bit with interceptions in the middle... All the negatives were symptomatic of a player that knew he was going off at some point, looking at it retrospectively

Ain't broke, don't fix it. Pack would have been a good choice but we opened ourselves up the their 2nd with no midfield

Ain't broke, don't fix it. Pack would have been a good choice but we opened ourselves up the their 2nd with no midfield

To paly devils advocate, we were breaking anyway, 1-0 to 1-1 is not in the assent

I agree with Cotterill, if he hadn't put agard on (for anyone) fans would have moaned that he didn't go for it - we would have been top regardless today, what better time than to 'go for it'?

Archived