IGNORED

Barnsley Approach New Manager

Hydey

It might seem strange, but I think he might be interested in the job. Swindon haven't got any money, and never will have, with the current set up. If they get promotion they are likely to struggle in the Championship. Barnsley, though not a big club, have better prospects than Swindon.

Also, forget all the talk about what a dump Barnsley is. There are some very nice places to live in South Yorkshire.

It might seem strange, but I think he might be interested in the job. Swindon haven't got any money, and never will have, with the current set up. If they get promotion they are likely to struggle in the Championship. Barnsley, though not a big club, have better prospects than Swindon.

Also, forget all the talk about what a dump Barnsley is. There are some very nice places to live in South Yorkshire.

This. Big stadium, money, championship pedigree...then there's Swindon

I still think that lots of what we're achieving this year is down to SOD. The criticism of him from the board was that he was hell to work with and the players found him uninspired. But what everyone in the club has said is that he was a very good coach and had an excellent football brain. I think this season is down to SOD giving us the tools but Cotts showing the players how they work. 

I still think that lots of what we're achieving this year is down to SOD. The criticism of him from the board was that he was hell to work with and the players found him uninspired. But what everyone in the club has said is that he was a very good coach and had an excellent football brain. I think this season is down to SOD giving us the tools but Cotts showing the players how they work. 

As fans all we can know for sure is what was happening on the pitch and I can't stop thinking about Sheff U at home under him.

As fans all we can know for sure is what was happening on the pitch and I can't stop thinking about Sheff U at home under him.

It's difficult to forget, I've not seen a team so disjointed and seemingly clueless since THAT game against Cardiff!

He's obviously got something about him, he just wasn't the right "fit" for the club I guess, it will be interesting to see how he does at Barnsley IF they take him on.

Barnsley certainly did a job on us at their place this season, Wilson won that battle of minds with SC hands down, however I know who I'd prefer to be in charge of us, DW career seems to be in the doldrums, I do hope he gets a job soon as his time with us was certainly exciting, if not a little disappointing!

I certainly don't and from someone who was shall we say significantly uneasy with Cotts' appointment (about as uneasy as I was with SOD's) I can't really speak highly enough of what Cotts has achieved in little over 12 months.

Players improving: absolutely. Take Fielding, he has vastly improved over the last 12 months. Mainly in his kicking which, although still erratic at times, the bespoke sessions arranged over the summer have significantly improved him. Flint, well he is unrecognisable to the guy that SOD publicly stated we overpaid for. If anything he looks an absolute bargain right now. Bryan, admittedly may have improved under SOD but his development has been exceptional.

Also in terms of tools, would we be anywhere like we are now if we take any one or more of the following out of the equation: Ayling, Little, Korey Smith, Matt Smith, Luke Freeman, Wilbrahimovic, W Elliot? That's 7 players who were not any of those tools left behind by SOD who have been absolutely integral to where we are now.

You may believe that SOD improved us behind the scenes and gave us the platform. Personally, I can find little reason to believe that. Under SOD I really cannot point to one area and think yes there are signs of progress. The players never gelled or looked like being on the same wavelength, we approached every single game with the same flawed plan, no player looked as if they knew what their job was, no player looked as though they had learnt from mistakes, no player looked as though they had been improved by a training regime etc.

Re footballing brain again I just don't see it. Just because he's not your typical monosyllabic manager does not mean that he is necessarily intelligent, in respect of football or otherwise. This is the bloke who was content with a team which could not defend and could not handle pressure passing a ball between its centrebacks notwithstanding one of our centrebacks being less technically gifted shall we say and both centrebacks being new to eachother, as well as their insurance policy - the goalkeeper. This is the bloke who going in to league one thought intensive physical training was a waste of time, notwithstanding some of the boggy pitches we'd be playing on, the approach of a significant number of other teams in this division and the fact that he had us largely playing with some more lightweight players. This is the bloke that allowed our team over and over again to hoof a ball up to Sammy Baldock, not just once or twice a game, but we were almost Wimbledon-esque taking out the pointless 10 yard passes made in our own half.

I struggle to find any reason, even one, to believe he is any better manager than your ilk of Dean Saunders and the like.

Archived