IGNORED

Rugby Own Goal?

Slacker

Great to see Bristol won again today but can't help thinking that the powers that be have maybe shot themselves in the foot.I follow Bristol,I suppose casually may be the phrase.I have seen a couple of games this year and hope to see a couple more.With City were we are,every game feels"big" and excitingly as we feel we have to win the league or at the very least be top two.When I look at Bristol games I get this feeling that it is not so vital that they win,although obviously I want them to as apart from the buzz and pride of winning the league,when they are where the they are in the league it almost "doesn't matter" if they lose a few and finish sixth!I know diehard Briz fans want to win every game ,but it seems a real opportunity is being wasted to capture more floating fans as these remaining games don't have that win or bust feel that City's remaining games have.No disrespect to the rugby boys but it really feels that the season is effectively over until the playoffs!It is a horrible system and to me it just cheats the fans.(Particularly Bristol in recent years).

Great to see Bristol won again today but can't help thinking that the powers that be have maybe shot themselves in the foot.I follow Bristol,I suppose casually may be the phrase.I have seen a couple of games this year and hope to see a couple more.With City were we are,every game feels"big" and excitingly as we feel we have to win the league or at the very least be top two.When I look at Bristol games I get this feeling that it is not so vital that they win,although obviously I want them to as apart from the buzz and pride of winning the league,when they are where the they are in the league it almost "doesn't matter" if they lose a few and finish sixth!I know diehard Briz fans want to win every game ,but it seems a real opportunity is being wasted to capture more floating fans as these remaining games don't have that win or bust feel that City's remaining games have.No disrespect to the rugby boys but it really feels that the season is effectively over until the playoffs!It is a horrible system and to me it just cheats the fans.(Particularly Bristol in recent years).

Just a reminder that 4th is the play offs not 6th in rugby. And I agree that they are playing sides mostly vastly below their level for games that mean less. 

I have a couple of mates who are true diehard Bristol Rugby supporters, both ST holders and they travel away for some matches. As they are real rugby fans I value their opinions and both feel that should Bristol get back into the top division they'll struggle to survive,certainly with the current squad.

They also think the team that wins the Championshipship should go up automatically but as most of us know that doesn't happen. It's a top four pray-off. It's all about money of course but if the rugby administration promoted the league winners and then have a pray-off for the other top 4 clubs. It would mean two Championship club going up and obviously two getting relegated from the top division but why not?

That's rugby per se shooting themselves in foot in their opinion.

I have a couple of mates who are true diehard Bristol Rugby supporters, both ST holders and they travel away for some matches. As they are real rugby fans I value their opinions and both feel that should Bristol get back into the top division they'll struggle to survive,certainly with the current squad.

They also think the team that wins the Championshipship should go up automatically but as most of us know that doesn't happen. It's a top four pray-off. It's all about money of course but if the rugby administration promoted the league winners and then have a pray-off for the other top 4 clubs. It would mean two Championship club going up and obviously two getting relegated from the top division but why not?

That's rugby per se shooting themselves in foot in their opinion.

There has been talk, a few years ago now though, of ringfencing the Premiership - no promotion, no relegation. I wonder that if Bristol were to replace London Welsh whether this would arrive on an agenda soon? With the possible exception of Newcastle being in the Prem and Worcester not then you could argue that all the 'big' teams are there now, plenty more money to be made with a thriving Bristol team than a floundering LW team. Guess they would then look to add two more teams a few years down the line, potentially, maybe Worcester and Cornish - all the big boys together, making money etc etc

I'd hate to see it, promotion / relegation is a vital part of sports for me, and I'd hate to think the rugby boys aren't all about the money and sod the little guys - but I suspect I'm wrong there

Rugby league has brought back relegation as it just makes a mockery of the league.

Unfortunately I can see Rugby Union making the mistake of a closed shop top tier which would be a disaster for the aport.

A closed league means there is no threat of relegation, so half way through the season when the bottom half teams know they won't win the league can blood their young English players for the future. Ring fencing does have some positives, though I should add I'm against it. 

Thanks BCR

As I said then, get shot of LW and get Bristol & Worcester back in asap

I see their point about LW being uncompetitive, but I just can't agree with a system that doesn't reward success, but rewards failure

Archived