IGNORED

Life After Matt Smith

hortonred

I think this had been discussed before but after watching Wilbraham's  less than wholehearted approach to win the ball in the air yesterday and comparing it to Smith's approach it is powder puff. It got me worrying about life after Smith. Surely we will be less threatening in this area when he has gone.Yet it seems SC will be going with Wilbraham and Agard plus JET who I feel yesterday portrayed all that is wrong with his play.A side he should have terrorised  and he was non existent  Surely we should have a look at the chance of bringing another striker in.

I think this had been discussed before but after watching Wilbraham's less than wholehearted approach to win the ball in the air yesterday and comparing it to Smith's approach it is powder puff. It got me worrying about life after Smith. Surely we will be less threatening in this area when he has gone.Yet it seems SC will be going with Wilbraham and Agard plus JET who I feel yesterday portrayed all that is wrong with his play.A side he should have terrorised and he was non existent Surely we should have a look at the chance of bringing another striker in.

Bit harsh on Wilbs maybe considering he hasn't played for ages and is still regaining match fitness. Let's not forget Wilbs and Agard had a great partnership before Smith came in and they got injured. It was actually very fortuitous for us that Smiths arrival and spell of good form coincided with the injuries to the other two. Don't also forget that Wilbs was our many goal scorer and 'golden boy' before Smith started banging in the goals.

We have to have some faith that Wilbs and Agard can come back into form as they regain fitness but also think it is essential that we get another striker in after Smith goes. It would be too much of a gamble to finish the season (especially with all out fixtures remaining) with only three strikers. We need a fourth one to add depth and I'm certain Cotts will get someone in, even if they are fourth choice.

No idea why Smith was taken off as was winning most headers and we needed his presence. As someone else said it weakened us at a time when momentum was with us. Wilbs is going to take time to get up to speed but we cannot go into last two months with 3 strikers. On another point, JET is the easy option to sub and whilst he wasn't good he shouldn't always be the sacrificial lamb!

We've been a lot more direct since Matt Smith joined.

I'd personally like to see a different type of striker brought in who can feed off little through balls from Freeman and Jet.

In my opinion, we play too much long ball.

Completely agree I am not worried when he leaves we can't keep playing to tall slow strikers up top there is no movement up there for Elliot and freeman to work there magic making them look bad no one to play balls too and smith wins a header jet isn't quick enough to get on to the end of most of them. We looked so basic up top yesterday and must of been easy to defend against tbf. Glad agard is getting back involved

It was certainly a strange decision to take smith off and then pump even more high balls into the box.

Going by his "went for it" theory last week, when he didn't need to, i fully expected him to bring wilbraham on with smith.

Agard looks so ungainly trying to control the ball around the box, that perhaps an option would be  to revert him to his previously wider role played at rotherham and bring in a cody mcdonald type  striker.

It is my opinion that since the introduction of Matt Smith we have become much slower in our build up which has proved detrimental to the rest of the team. The likes of Joe Bryan, Freeman have had to hold onto the ball looking for outlets which MS does not provide, resulting in pressure on other team mates. He has scored quite a few goals but I feel his overall impact has had a negative effect on the team and those goals are now fewer in frequency, add in Jets lack of work when compared to Wilbraham and Agard and I feel we are a weaker team as a result. We have surrendered possession too easily due to playing a different way which has resulted in the opposition having more ball in our half and us then relying on breakaways with a slow striker. The other night saw the introduction of Agard and Wilbraham against Peterborough, previously they'd had had a lot of possession without threatening and their centre backs had been comfortable until that introduction. I look forward to seeing the partnership of Agard and Wilbraham soon, with the occasional cameo performance of Jet (to take the piss) and a much quicker, more expansive approach from the whole team, with the opposition defence being harried all through the match, with more consistent possession in the opposition half. 

It almost seems as if we've set up to say to the opposition, come and see if you can break us down. Against Gillingham, Port Vale, Sheffield UTD and Peterborough we looked as if we were just about hanging on but still with a bit of a goal threat. We obviously need another striker to see the season out and I hope for a mobile one in Wilbraham's mould, to benefit the whole team. This is not an attack on Matt Smith as he has obviously contributed to the continuation of our success but, I feel that this is now time to get back to a more expansive game, to benefit the whole team. 

It was certainly a strange decision to take smith off and then pump even more high balls into the box.

Going by his "went for it" theory last week, when he didn't need to, i fully expected him to bring wilbraham on with smith.

Agard looks so ungainly trying to control the ball around the box, that perhaps an option would be to revert him to his previously wider role played at rotherham and bring in a cody mcdonald type striker.

Agard has great attitutude & you can't fault his work rate. Unfortunately that's where the compliments start abd finish, as much as I want the lad to do well I just don't think he's got enough about him to cut it at the next level, dare I say barely enough at league one level. (And yes I've seen his you tube montage of his 24 goals, for Rotherham).

We definitely need someone else in sharpish as Alby & Agard are along way off their best and at this point in the season it won't do.

The league table should be looking a lot better than it should do, but this is Bristol City, nothing is straightforward!

Archived