IGNORED

Official Doncaster V City Match Thread. (Merged)

Major Isewater

Can we play Tuesday night games every week?

Random fact of the day.

Saturday 17 January - last time we won on a Saturday.

Fair to say the Donny fans not happy on their forum. Dirtest side they had seen, ref missed three clear reds including a kung fu kick by Wilbs, first goal, clear hand ball.

O well. So sad, never mind.

Wes Foderingham on Twitter...

Felt like we were playing away with the atmosphere tonight. Good win to get back on track. Proud of the boys. We appreciate the real fans

Im not talking about fans that don't come I totally understand. I'm referring to the boo's when we are winning a game of football

Not just the Swindon team struggling last few games...

3 in the same incident. I thought the radio at the time said two of ours and one of theirs at that moment, so maybe its 4-1 not 5-0, which is rare for us.

match stats on main site says Wilbs 70 Little 72 Cunningham 73 Fielding 81 and Matt Smith in injury time. no Donny though.

Wes Foderingham on Twitter...

Felt like we were playing away with the atmosphere tonight. Good win to get back on track. Proud of the boys. We appreciate the real fans

Im not talking about fans that don't come I totally understand. I'm referring to the boo's when we are winning a game of football

Not just the Swindon team struggling last few games...

Moaning about their own fans.. that's one way to get them on your side.

Just got home to London.

Long old way that Yorkshire place innit.

Radio phone in called us dirty, we should have had 2 players sent off, officials were awful.

To quote one caller "what a typical horrible Cotterill side"....

Handsome. 3 points thanks for coming.

And it's goodnight from me

Seems to be a recurring theme with Swindon. They'll get what's coming to them, hopefully on the 7th April.

That's why, despite the cheated points they nicked from us, but for all the match after match gamesmanship they've employed all season to get where they are.....

I'd love it if the Club would include 'The Avengers' theme pre-match at the Gate when we finally get our chance (live on TV) to get revenge against 'em, on behalf of ourselves and every other team in league one who have fallen victim to Swindon's cheating ways this season.

(Avengers Theme link in my current signature below)

Smith definitely got a booking.

I wasn't sure who got booked after the mass outbreak of handbags. Seemed to take an age to sort out, then the ref wandered around the pitch waving his yellow card at anyone nearby.

We weren't a particularly dirty or nasty side but we did do what we've seen plenty of teams do to us at AG over the years: solid, well-organised, strong in the challenge and very direct in attack. Doncaster spent a lot of time trying to play tippy-tappy football to get around the brick wall erected by the City defence and getting nowhere. Then we'd boot the ball down the field and create a much clearer chance.

Listening to some Donny fans on the way back to the car they were resigned to the fact that we were just a better team than them (our defence is apparently "twice as good" as theirs) but they also thought we weren't that good. I'd agree with that assessment really. I've seen many better performances from City but not many more effective ones.

Smith definitely got a booking.

I wasn't sure who got booked after the mass outbreak of handbags. Seemed to take an age to sort out, then the ref wandered around the pitch waving his yellow card at anyone nearby.

We weren't a particularly dirty or nasty side but we did do what we've seen plenty of teams do to us at AG over the years: solid, well-organised, strong in the challenge and very direct in attack. Doncaster spent a lot of time trying to play tippy-tappy football to get around the brick wall erected by the City defence and getting nowhere. Then we'd boot the ball down the field and create a much clearer chance.

Listening to some Donny fans on the way back to the car they were resigned to the fact that we were just a better team than them (our defence is apparently "twice as good" as theirs) but they also thought we weren't that good. I'd agree with that assessment really. I've seen many better performances from City but not many more effective ones.

That's the point now. We are at the business end of the season and it's all about earning points, nothing else. You don't get anything extra for style. I remember some darts player, might have been Bobby George, saying "trebles for show, doubles for dough". If teams want to be so called "pleasing on the eye" which is another way of saying "pass it about a lot in the middle third of the pitch but don't score goals" and moan about us after we have stuck the ball in their onion bag three times then that will do me at the moment.

Archived