IGNORED

Official Doncaster V City Match Thread. (Merged)

Major Isewater

H stylie .

Doncaster ,or Dongcastrum as the Wohmans called it .

Meaning Castle on the river Don .

A small mining Town in Yorkshire and erm ,did i say they had mines and it's small ?

So there you have it ,Doncaster ,a handy guide .

Oh ,oh ,yes ,pioneers of women's football ,the Doncaster Belles were more successful than the men until a certain Sean O'Driscoll rolled into the small Town .

I think they ,like the mines,are also closed down .

I've got a really bad feeling about this one

Shipping 3 to Sheff U can happen, they are a good team. 3 at Colchester, not so great. Donny will be smarting after getting humped at the weekend, I'm going 2-0 Donny

And we wont be? Not sure I get the logic there, We may lose but it certainly wont be for that reason.

Id take a draw if we can folow it up with 3 points vs Rochdale.

And we wont be? Not sure I get the logic there, We may lose but it certainly wont be for that reason.

Id take a draw if we can folow it up with 3 points vs Rochdale.

Should have added - we're due a spell of 5 defeats in 8 or 9 games, we can't go all season the way we have been. Things just seem a little flat right now, which I get is a bizarre thing to say when we're clear at the top and a game in hand. Sheff U, a poor Peterboro, and Colchester, 3 points. That isn't part of the plan, I suspect

Would certainly take a draw right now

I've got a really bad feeling about this one

Shipping 3 to Sheff U can happen, they are a good team. 3 at Colchester, not so great. Donny will be smarting after getting humped at the weekend, I'm going 2-0 Donny

I am fearing this also. We could be 5 points in front of Preston by the end of the night having played a game more and having to still go there. My predictions are usually rubbish so here's hoping.

No need for wholesale changes, still have the best defensive record in the league.

Cotteril will have delivered the necessary kick up the arse needed after the first half at Colchester.

Stick to what has got us where we are, consistency in selection and performance. Don't like tinkering.

And for all thise who lost their shit after Saturday, if you are this panicky now in February, God knows how you are going to cope come May.

We've won 3, Drawn 1, and lost 2 of the last 6 games

Same as MKD.

Swindon have won 2 and lost 4.

PNE have won 3, drawn 2, and lost 1 (their 3 wins are the last three games).

Seems like the top three are wobbling at the moment with PNE on a roll and it wouldn't surprise me to see us and Swindon drop points tonight with PNE winning. 

Whatever the results, we will still be at least 4 points clear of 3rd place.

Said this last week about Preston hitting form and will be a big danger, and Sheff Utd being dangerous. Also said I think Swindon could drop away. However I was shot down in flames. Come Monday the league could look a lot closer than people think. Preston are our biggest dangers to the league not MK Dons or Swindon.

Once upon a time, when I was about 8 and Morris 1800's were de rigeur for big families like us, we stumbled across Summerhouse wine, so I am told I hasten to add; Lest you think I was into that sort of thing at that tender age. The wine, apparently, is rather quaffable but since I never tasted it i would have no recollection of that. Try asking for it if you happen to read this and you are Skellow way.

I am coming to a little story ...

Once upon a time, when I was about 8 and Morris 1800's were de rigeur for big families like us, we stumbled across Summerhouse wine, so I am told I hasten to add; Lest you think I was into that sort of thing at that tender age. The wine, apparently, is rather quaffable but since I never tasted it i would have no recollection of that. Try asking for it if you happen to read this and you are Skellow way.

Although Doncaster itself has a population of 127,000 I had no idea the 'metro' area was over 300,000. Saying that, the whole of that area, including nearby Sheffield form a very large conurbation. Somewhat larger than those days back in the 70's.

Like Colchester and Peterbough before them in our calender the town began from Roman times with a fort called Danum and is, in fact, on Ermine Street which connects to those places farther south. Don comes from the river but before it from the Saxons and Caster from the Romans. So its the perfect mixture of our history.

It was even considered one of the 28 cities of Britain in the 9th century. Interesting it then became a town.. maybe somebody from Doncaster can enlighten us about that. One interesting note is how many street names bear the suffix 'Gate', from the Danish word 'gata' .. and there was me thinking it was paying homage to us!! Can anyone find a street named after our ground? !!

Coal was the big industrial heart of this town in the 18th and 19th century and latterly a distribution hub due to its proximity to a host of arterial roads spreading in all directions. It was a wealthy area throughout Victorian times with some substantial homes and castles.

Formed in 1879, as Doncaster Rovers, they were elected to the Football League in 1901 replacing New Brighton Tower. That very first season, when there were only 2 divisions, they finished in their highest ever league position, 7th. Of course they nearly reached those heights again when one SO'D was in charge back in the 2007-8 season. Most of the rest of the time they have resided in the lower two tiers and a little time spent in the Conference, 5 years in fact until 2003. That time coincided with the start of the John Ryan rein when he delivered on his promises of a new stadium and the ultimate goal of a return to Championship football.

Belle Vue to Keepmoat in that 10 years brought a lot of optimism to this perhaps under supported club from South Yorkshire who pose a very real threat to our return to winning ways this evening.

I would be mildly unhappy with a draw which surely has to be the minimum. We cannot afford to drop 3 points twice in a row.. that will be 3 defeats in 4 and a very real sign of a blip just when all the other teams around us are probably coming to the end of theirs. Can we hope for a win? of course.. Oh go onn then.. 1-2.

Wilbs and Smith.

498 City fans.

Goorrrrrrnnnnn lads and lasses... we really need you to sing your hearts out tonight.

We did not play that bad against Sheffield United. Came back next match with a win. Followed by a bad performance v Colchester.So were on a bit of a wobble, we new it would happen. So tonight steady things down, 0-0 a point away is always good as long as we win our home games. The games are starting to run down now. If we keep picking up points, stay mostly undefeated, we will be OK. 

Archived