IGNORED

Official Doncaster V City Match Thread. (Merged)

Major Isewater

Once upon a time, when I was about 8 and Morris 1800's were de rigeur for big families like us, we stumbled across Summerhouse wine, so I am told I hasten to add; Lest you think I was into that sort of thing at that tender age. The wine, apparently, is rather quaffable but since I never tasted it i would have no recollection of that. Try asking for it if you happen to read this and you are Skellow way.

Although Doncaster itself has a population of 127,000 I had no idea the 'metro' area was over 300,000. Saying that, the whole of that area, including nearby Sheffield form a very large conurbation. Somewhat larger than those days back in the 70's.

Like Colchester and Peterbough before them in our calender the town began from Roman times with a fort called Danum and is, in fact, on Ermine Street which connects to those places farther south. Don comes from the river but before it from the Saxons and Caster from the Romans. So its the perfect mixture of our history.

It was even considered one of the 28 cities of Britain in the 9th century. Interesting it then became a town.. maybe somebody from Doncaster can enlighten us about that. One interesting note is how many street names bear the suffix 'Gate', from the Danish word 'gata' .. and there was me thinking it was paying homage to us!! Can anyone find a street named after our ground? !!

Coal was the big industrial heart of this town in the 18th and 19th century and latterly a distribution hub due to its proximity to a host of arterial roads spreading in all directions. It was a wealthy area throughout Victorian times with some substantial homes and castles.

Formed in 1879, as Doncaster Rovers, they were elected to the Football League in 1901 replacing New Brighton Tower. That very first season, when there were only 2 divisions, they finished in their highest ever league position, 7th. Of course they nearly reached those heights again when one SO'D was in charge back in the 2007-8 season. Most of the rest of the time they have resided in the lower two tiers and a little time spent in the Conference, 5 years in fact until 2003. That time coincided with the start of the John Ryan rein when he delivered on his promises of a new stadium and the ultimate goal of a return to Championship football.

Belle Vue to Keepmoat in that 10 years brought a lot of optimism to this perhaps under supported club from South Yorkshire who pose a very real threat to our return to winning ways this evening.

I would be mildly unhappy with a draw which surely has to be the minimum. We cannot afford to drop 3 points twice in a row.. that will be 3 defeats in 4 and a very real sign of a blip just when all the other teams around us are probably coming to the end of theirs. Can we hope for a win? of course.. Oh go onn then.. 1-2.

Wilbs and Smith.

498 City fans.

Goorrrrrrnnnnn lads and lasses... we really need you to sing your hearts out tonight.

Been done H ,they know all there is to know about Dongcaster ;0)

Tonight's fixtures

Doncaster (7th) v City (Top)

PNE (4th) v Walsall (14th)

Rochdale (13th) V Sheff.Utd (5th)

S****horpe (16th) v Barnsley (18th)

Swindon (3rd) v Bradford (6th)

City have got 7 points from the last 15, Doncaster 9 - 3 wins.

Swindon have lost 4 of their last 5, Bradford haven't lost in their last 5.

Preston on a run of 3 wins in a row, Walsall fairly typical mid table sequence.

Sheff. Utd 1 defeat in last 5, Rochdale 2 defeats.

Would expect a win for PNE and probable draws for City, Sheff.Utd and Swindon - though we can only hope Bradford are in best 'Cup form' and Swindon's miserable run continues.

Tonight's fixtures

Would expect a win for PNE and probable draws for City, Sheff.Utd and Swindon - though we can only hope Bradford are in best 'Cup form' and Swindon's miserable run continues.

Here ,here .

I'm expecting a much more focussed and professional performance from the lads tonight. After Saturday's miserable result, personally I think we need the win tonight. This team has bounced back well from setbacks all season.

I haven't been too impressed with Donny in the games against us this season, they pass the ball about well but look a bit toothless up front and vulnerable at the back - especially at set pieces which we are dangerous from.

I still beat you to it .You need to get up in the mornings H .

I had no idea i was competing with anyone.. i thought it was de-facto since i usually do a little potted history and it seemed to be well received!!!! but go ahead old boy! btw.. I have been up since about 0700, thats about 18 hours ago on my time clock.

Tonight's fixtures

Arhhh... its that time of the season when posts start appearing of permutation predictions.. its why we all love football because we are all prediction junkies. ;)

Predicting Pack, Agard and Willbs will start.[/quote

Smith is going back next week so I think we should play him, then introduce Wilbraham.

IMHO you've got to start with your best 11 and for me that does not include Agard or Wilbraham ****il Smith goes back).

Maithili so little of the season left abd this being a pivotal point, I'd really like to see us bring in another striker on loan, to coin an old phrase "another club in the bag"!

I would just like to interrupt this discussion to point out that the Flying Scotsman (1923) and the Mallard (1938) were designed and built in Doncaster.

Fabulous and loadsa respect. 

As you were.

And the Castle class and King class were designed and built in Swindon, but it's still a shithole.

Did you know that Queen Victoria had a private toilet built specifically for her at the Mansion House when she visited Doncaster.

And when she visited York,  she had to pay her own Hotel meal bill,  she was not amused!   What is it with these Northerners are they tight!

I'm expecting a much more focussed and professional performance from the lads tonight. After Saturday's miserable result, personally I think we need the win tonight. This team has bounced back well from setbacks all season.

I haven't been too impressed with Donny in the games against us this season, they pass the ball about well but look a bit toothless up front and vulnerable at the back - especially at set pieces which we are dangerous from.

I agree we need to win after the Colchester debacle...and I think we will 1-2 City

Archived