IGNORED

Brentford - Shots On Goal

'Orns

To be fair, Brentford are flying, really like what they've done there

Odd with Warburton on the way out at the end of the season, come what may. Listened to a podcast last week, the chairman seems like an incredibly popular guy, sounds 50 / 50 on whether the fans are with him on this decision or not though. Seems like he wants a Moneyball style system in place there. Be interested to see if it works

To be fair, Brentford are flying, really like what they've done there

Odd with Warburton on the way out at the end of the season, come what may. Listened to a podcast last week, the chairman seems like an incredibly popular guy, sounds 50 / 50 on whether the fans are with him on this decision or not though. Seems like he wants a Moneyball style system in place there. Be interested to see if it works

Saw a goal from last week and all the players ran over and celebrated with the manager. Another Chairman who hasn't a clue.

Saw a goal from last week and all the players ran over and celebrated with the manager. Another Chairman who hasn't a clue.

That's what surprised me about the podcast though, Super - the fans aren't all on Warburton's side, it seems. I don't think they want the guy to leave, but Benham has done a lot of good there, new ground on the way, playing good football, chance of the PL, what isn't to enjoy right now for the Bees? He is also a Brentford fan, which garners a lot of support

That's what surprised me about the podcast though, Super - the fans aren't all on Warburton's side, it seems. I don't think they want the guy to leave, but Benham has done a lot of good there, new ground on the way, playing good football, chance of the PL, what isn't to enjoy right now for the Bees? He is also a Brentford fan, which garners a lot of support

It's a brave decision but it might well be the right one, assuming of course they get the right man in to do the job.

There'd have been uproar on here if we'd replaced Gary Johnson in 2008 and I'd probably have been dead against the decision but with hindsight it seems to me that it would have been exactly the right point to make a change, with lots of forward momentum and a half-decent team.

I wouldn't want to start an argument by suggesting that Sean O'Driscoll would have done a better job than Gary Johnson in 2008, and I don't know whether he would have done, but he'd have stood a much better chance of implementing his methods successfully with a decent first team getting some results along the way and keeping the pressure off than he did with a squad trapped in a death spiral.

Win some lose some. It may look like a crazy decision and I'd be gutted if I was a fan but look at when Southampton sacked Adkins. Total uproar about it but it led them onto better things. The other side of the coin is Cardiff... (But then it turned out Malky was a daft racist anyway...)

It's a brave decision but it might well be the right one, assuming of course they get the right man in to do the job.

There'd have been uproar on here if we'd replaced Gary Johnson in 2008 and I'd probably have been dead against the decision but with hindsight it seems to me that it would have been exactly the right point to make a change, with lots of forward momentum and a half-decent team.

I wouldn't want to start an argument by suggesting that Sean O'Driscoll would have done a better job than Gary Johnson in 2008, and I don't know whether he would have done, but he'd have stood a much better chance of implementing his methods successfully with a decent first team getting some results along the way and keeping the pressure off than he did with a squad trapped in a death spiral.

Good point, Dan - hindsight is a wonderful thing. SOD replacing GJ in 08 would make for an interesting thread of it's own

Win some lose some. It may look like a crazy decision and I'd be gutted if I was a fan but look at when Southampton sacked Adkins. Total uproar about it but it led them onto better things. The other side of the coin is Cardiff... (But then it turned out Malky was a daft racist anyway...)

They were the two examples used in the podcast, Manc. Everyone though Southampton were crazy, not worked out badly, has it? Adkins is out of work now, I think? As for C*rdiff......

Blackpool are a third Division club and always have been. They have been punching above their weight for many years now.

Are they still getting parachute payments from their year in the Prem? What happened to all that money; they don't seen to have been spending big on players as far as I can recall..

Are they still getting parachute payments from their year in the Prem? What happened to all that money; they don't seen to have been spending big on players as far as I can recall..

Karl Oyston has trousered the majority of the money. Read all about it; http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/sep/24/blackpool-karl-oyston-fulham-championship

I read that a few years ago a Blackpool director was paid the highest salary of any company director (not just in football, anywhere) in the UK. Not sure how true that is, but the figures the owners are alledged to have taken out of the club are staggering. 

At the other end of the scale, here's an interesting article about Brentford and their current strategy: http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/feb/22/brentford-mathematical-modelling-denmark?CMP=share_btn_fb 

I read that a few years ago a Blackpool director was paid the highest salary of any company director (not just in football, anywhere) in the UK. Not sure how true that is, but the figures the owners are alledged to have taken out of the club are staggering. 

At the other end of the scale, here's an interesting article about Brentford and their current strategy: http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/feb/22/brentford-mathematical-modelling-denmark?CMP=share_btn_fb 

Good read, thanks for that. Be interested to read a bit more in depth on that, but I'm not sure he's going to give away his secrets just yet

Will keep an eye out for that Danish club (not going to try and spell it!), see if they win their league this year. I like the idea of finding players who are 'under valued' (think that was the phrase used) at their current club. Does seem very Moneyball in it's approach. You have a need, there is a player out there who can fill it, and available at a good price. Like it

It will be interesting to see how they do. I'm still skeptical about applying a "Moneyball" approach to football. It's a very much more complicated game to model than baseball and it would be easy to place too much value on the wrong things.

Statistical analysis by Charles Reep and its application by Charles Hughes during the 80s and 90s set English football back a long way by putting the emphasis on the wrong things. I don't doubt that things are a lot more sophisticated now but even just the other year a poor use of statistics led to Liverpool massively overpaying for Carroll, Downing and Charlie Adam (though interestingly the first two are now doing better under another manager fond of statistics).

There's definitely a place for intelligent analysis in football but it's possible to make statistics argue that black is white and in situations like that it's better to trust one's own eyes than blindly follow data.

His squad trapped in a death spiral I would hasten to add. He took over in January, he took us to a toothless relegation with no battle or fight and he, in my view; and the board's, was taking us in to the basement.

The same death spiral he took Donny in to and (even allowing for injuries) carried over in to the next season which saw him, not unfairly, sacked.

IMO we achieved what we did under GJ in that season for two reasons: one) riding on the crest of the promotion wave and two) because we were a well-drilled, well-organised, very fit team - there's no magic to the reason we used to grind out 1-0 wins and score late goals. We did not go to within one game of the Premier League because technically we were the best team or we had 11 better players than most - indeed look at that squad and think who went on to achieve what...

So, hiring SOD, who is the antithesis of a well drilled, well organised, very fit team would've been absolutely ludicrous.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, any bloke who thinks going in to League One without some really strenuous conditioning and fitness training is good preparation because we're really good with a Futsal is an incompetent fool, and that is the charge I would put to SOD. - strange really because i'm sure he speaks highly of me :whistle:

This was my feeling when I heard about Warburton. Struck me as a Soton-esq decision. Whether it pays of or not is another question...

His squad trapped in a death spiral I would hasten to add. He took over in January, he took us to a toothless relegation with no battle or fight and he, in my view; and the board's, was taking us in to the basement.

The same death spiral he took Donny in to and (even allowing for injuries) carried over in to the next season which saw him, not unfairly, sacked.

IMO we achieved what we did under GJ in that season for two reasons: one) riding on the crest of the promotion wave and two) because we were a well-drilled, well-organised, very fit team - there's no magic to the reason we used to grind out 1-0 wins and score late goals. We did not go to within one game of the Premier League because technically we were the best team or we had 11 better players than most - indeed look at that squad and think who went on to achieve what...

So, hiring SOD, who is the antithesis of a well drilled, well organised, very fit team would've been absolutely ludicrous.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, any bloke who thinks going in to League One without some really strenuous conditioning and fitness training is good preparation because we're really good with a Futsal is an incompetent fool, and that is the charge I would put to SOD. - strange really because i'm sure he speaks highly of me :whistle:

No, he doesn't.

Archived