IGNORED

Cup Nerves

Manon

Yes for goodness sake... Aizoon is always right his view counts the most and his posts are always the most relevant.

If that's your feeling on the JPT Manon, then good luck to you! Hopefully no explanation will be needed for the boy!

I speak for myself, no one else (except possibly Horace). I certainly have no undue influence on the group - what a ghastly thought :o

Ok, I know it's over two weeks away, and the league takes precedent until then (don't tell cotts about this thread please)...

But this morning - at precisely 10.12, in fact - I experienced my first cup nerves.

Until today, it had just been 'a day out', a big pat on our own backs to remind ourselves how big we are, how great we are; football actually being casual light hearted fun for once...

Unfortunately this notion evaporated as a real fear of losing the final began to creep all over me like a rash. I WANT TO WIN THE CUP GOD DAMMIT!!

Make no mistake so does SC, the players and 40,000 City fans all will give everything they have to do so. Of course the jpt matters but not as much as promotion enjoy the day and hopefully a victory. :city:

Its a one off cup game when a decision or a mistake could settle it either way.

Yes that's how I feel. Thanks for the support!

Must admit, slightly bemused by the disrespect shown towards this competition tbh. Tin pot it may be, but are we so above it? Then why better compete on it and expend so much energy on it? It's just arrogance really, and embarrassing. I'm sure walsall won't be taking it lightly. It's the only cup we can realistically win, it IS our level, no matter what some might believe. In case anyone hasn't noticed, we haven't managed anything else yet in our 120+ year history...

Like I said, I want to win whatever we are in for, and losing will leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

Agree with nearly everything you have said there. Just a shame you have airbrushed our fantastic Anglo-Scottish cup win from history.

I have to agree that this competition does mean something. Think of all the kids that are going and how heartbroken they will be if we don't win. Thinking back to when I was young, games like this mattered MORE than league games. Crazy but true.

And this is spot on. Exactly how I felt about it when I was young, and judging by the number of Wembley countdowns she gives me this is exactly how my 11 year old feels about it now.

Fair point. When I think of Birmingham, I think JPT and league double... No I fracking don't! Does anybody?

Your endless rants about the JPT are tiresome.

You may think we're above playing in it, but sadly the football league beg to differ.

We're in the bloody final, it's only natural to want to win it.

You may think we're above playing in it, but sadly the football league beg to differ.

We're in the bloody final, it's only natural to want to win it.

Of course it's only natural to want to win the final, just as its only natural to want to win every game. Sadly that doesn't always happen.

You're right about our league status dictating that City have to play in the JPT a and that's the point that some on here are trying to make. They, like me would rather that City weren't in the Mickey Mouse Cup because being in it just reminds everyone that City are (currently) a lower league outfit and like everyone else I wish we were higher up.

That said, it's a great opportunity for our supporters, staff and players to see Wembley and the lucky few actually get to play on it. No doubt that our younger fans will be ecstatic about the Wembley appearance but personally it means very little to me.

The JPT is as important to every other football fan in the Britain as the FA Vase or FA Trophy is to a Bristol City Fan. No one else cares.

Yeah, it's a good day out, and it will be nice to see loads of people in the City end, and no doubt the old sleeping giant phrase will be wheeled out again. Hopefully this time with SL making his incredible investment and changes to the club it will be the last time we have to compete in this patronising, injury risking waste of time and we can play where we belong in the big leagues.

Hypocritically, I do hope we win though. But please (if we do), no open top bus tour.

In the mean time we are playing Crawley today. Now that's both embarrassing and unexciting in its self.

Yeah, it's a good day out, and it will be nice to see loads of people in the City end, and no doubt the old sleeping giant phrase will be wheeled out again. Hopefully this time with SL making his incredible investment and changes to the club it will be the last time we have to compete in this patronising, injury risking waste of time and we can play where we belong in the big leagues.

Hypocritically, I do hope we win though.

So would you advocate the club pulling out of the competition in future if given permission to do so?

When Man utd devalued the fa cup in favour of the champions league, it was denounced across the football community as arrogance. How is this different?

I'm not ever going to dispute that promotion (or the league title) is priority here, but people seem to have an over inflated perception of this club. We are currently big fish in a small pond, but that will change very quickly if we go up, and our chances of winning a cup will also reduce overnight to around....0%.

So would you advocate the club pulling out of the competition in future if given permission to do so?

When Man utd devalued the fa cup in favour of the champions league, it was denounced across the football community as arrogance. How is this different?

It very different. Most football fans remember who won the FA Cup last season and who won it several years ago. No-one other than the clubs involved remember the JPT winners. No-one would denounce City if your scenario was possible and we withdrew because no-one really cares other than the sponsors.

Plus City aren't in any other cup competition to prioritise.

Read Lord Northski most recent post to see how some of us feel about the Mickey Mouse cup.

I'm not ever going to dispute that promotion (or the league title) is priority here, but people seem to have an over inflated perception of this club. We are currently big fish in a small pond, but that will change very quickly if we go up, and our chances of winning a cup will also reduce overnight to around....0%.

Hmmm. I don't see it as arrogance, just a statement of the facts. We are deservedly where we are because we played awful football for a few seasons and relegation and the JPT are the result. No I don't think we should withdraw, that I'd agree would be arrogant, but I don't have to be happy about it either. It's a great competition for small clubs who aren't likely to get promoted to the promised lands of the Premier League or Championship, but to those like ourselves it's a stark reminder that we are in what the Americans would call the Minors, the irrelevant lower divisions that are exactly that i.e. irrelevant lower leagues.

From memory and I'm old so it's a bit rusty, but I'm not sure if it was Man Utds idea to withdraw from the cup or whether it was on the leagues suggestion, following the Champions League victory and their automatic inclusion in the World Club Championship. Forgive me if I'm wrong on this issue, it's a while ago.

Hmmm. I don't see it as arrogance, just a statement of the facts. We are deservedly where we are because we played awful football.

From memory and I'm old so it's a bit rusty, but I'm not sure if it was Man Utds idea to withdraw from the cup or whether it was on the leagues suggestion, following the Champions League victory and their automatic inclusion in the World Club Championship. Forgive me if I'm wrong on this issue, it's a while ago.

Your correct regarding Man Utd. It was the World Club Championship that pretty much forced them into making the decision.

a stark reminder that we are in what the Americans would call the Minors, the irrelevant lower divisions that are exactly that i.e. irrelevant lower divisions.

A fair and balanced response LN but I don't agree with your view in the paragraph above. Irrelevant suggests that nothing matters except the premier league, which is something of a poisoned chalice, a false utopia. In that case a good 90% of our history is irrelevant. 70 odd clubs may as well not bother.

The lower leagues are what they are; a treasure chest of fantastically competitive, exciting and well supported clubs experiencing a mixture of ever changing fortunes.

Your correct regarding Man Utd. It was the World Club Championship that pretty much forced them into making the decision.

Maybe, but it we're talking about worthless waste of time competitions, then the WCC is right up there!

A fair and balanced response LN but I don't agree with your view in the paragraph above. Irrelevant suggests that nothing matters except the premier league, which is something of a poisoned chalice, a false utopia. In that case a good 90% of our history is irrelevant. 70 odd clubs may as well not bother.

The lower leagues are what they are; a treasure chest of fantastically competitive, exciting and well supported clubs experiencing a mixture of ever changing fortunes.

An even more balanced response than mine. You're right. It just feels that way when you drop out of the Championship playing crap football and have to compete in the JPT and play the likes of Crawley that's all.

Then there's the debate about if you went into the Championship and then got promoted to the Prem. What would that actual first season be like? We'd be most people's banker as a relegation certainty, that's for sure. We'd have two options 1. Go for it, buy players to try and keep us there and spend much, if not more of the money we'd make in the hope that we can stay up. Or 2. Treat it like an lower league FA cup run, bank the cash and prepare for a bigger attempt at it in a year or twos time. Spurred on with bulging wads of cash and parachute payments. Obviously I'd prefer option 2. As such I'd be accepting that the first season in the prem would be painful as hell. We'd see City loose more often than not. We'd have to view this potentially dreadful season as a nesissary part of a process (and remind ourselves of that) then it'll be hopefully worth it in the long run. Option 1 would still probably result in relegation, but there would be no positive legacy. No money left, a dressing room full of overpaid "in it for the money" passionless players and fed up fans.

I never understand the "I wouldn't trade 3 points in the league for a cup win" mantra.

Firstly, nobody is suggesting that when they say they want to win the cup. There is no obligation to lose a league match in order to win a final. It's a nonsense.

Secondly, even if some kind of fairy godmother had turned up and given us such a bizarre choice (ie lose the cup final, or lose one league game between now and the end of the season), the effect of losing a league game would have far less impact on our title chances compared to the impact a loss in the cup final would have on us winning a trophy.

Lose the cup final - no trophy.

Lose one league game - still probable champions.

Mourinho went nuts for the league cup, and it was refreshingly glorious.

Why people seem convinced that wanting to win a cup means they're prioritising it (ignoring the fact that what we, as fans, prioritise has absolutely no effect on what the team prioritise, so it's irrelevant regardless) I will never know.

You can want to win the cup and win the league. That is possible.

Now come on you wonderful heroes of ours, let's get us two trophies - it doesn't happen that often, and I couldn't care less what they are.

An even more balanced response than mine.

Then there's the debate about if you went into the Championship and then got promoted to the Prem. What would that actual first season be like? We'd be most people's banker as a relegation certainty, that's for sure. We'd have two options 1. Go for it, buy players to try and keep us there and spend much, if not more of the money we'd make in the hope that we can stay up. Or 2. Treat it like an lower league FA cup run, bank the cash and prepare for a bigger attempt at it in a year or twos time. Spurred on with bulging wads of cash and parachute payments. Obviously I'd prefer option 2. As such I'd be accepting that the first season in the prem would be painful as hell.

Stoke City are a good example of how to stay in PL and Hull City are still surviving up there as well.

It can be done. You require an astute manager along with an astute Director of Football to use their knowledge and skills to sift through the numerous reccomendations that the agents will flood the club with. Once that's done building a squad capable of competing in PL.

Stoke City are a good example of how to stay in PL and Hull City are still surviving up there as well.

It can be done. You require an astute manager along with an astute Director of Football to use their knowledge and skills to sift through the numerous reccomendations that the agents will flood the club with. Once that's done building a squad capable of competing in PL.

True. However, you'll agree many more examples of this not working. Plus, given that City are notoriously bad at picking the right man e.g. 5/6 attempts to get the right manager after GJ's departure, we'd have to be darn lucky to pick the right man to work along side the manager. I don't not like the idea, just wondered if we should play it safe, that's all

Archived