IGNORED

Ulster Banner

richwwtk

I genuinely don't know this....what is the connection between football supporters and the Ulster Banner?

Even on here there are several posters that use it as their main image and it puzzles me.

Are there a lot of Bristol City fans with Northern Irish roots or is there some other reason for it?

I have no scientific evidence of course, but it seems to me that people using the Ulster Banner tend towards the rowdier element of the support so is that something to do with it?

If anyone could explain I would be most grateful.

It's to show loyalty to Queen and country I do believe. If you've ever been to an England game? You'll of heard the chant of 'No Surrender To The IRA', I believe it comes from that. I remember going to Crewe away in 2007, there was a kid sat in the home end with an Irish Tricolour flag, and a load of City fans chanted it at him then.

It's to show loyalty to Queen and country I do believe. If you've ever been to an England game? You'll of heard the chant of 'No Surrender To The IRA', I believe it comes from that. I remember going to Crewe away in 2007, there was a kid sat in the home end with an Irish Tricolour flag, and a load of City fans chanted it at him then.

I'm well aware of the chant, just don't see the relevance of either it, or the flag, to Bristol City. It's crass relating it to England, let alone a team in a region with no connection whatsoever.

It's the reserve of those who still think there is a British Empire. 

Not sure if any of these people have noticed but Queen and Country came to an accommodation with the IRA years ago and they share political power in Northern Ireland within the United Kingdom.  So we haven't surrendered or won, just compromised because all sides became fed up with the killing and those that organised this wanted to go legit.

Most people in Belfast are now more scared of Russians than the IRA or the UVF and given they probably knew at least one person killed in the troubles probably think that some football fans from the south west singing about the IRA is just plain bizarre.  All that's left now is a few days of rioting each summer about which way some people want to go on a march.  And that doesn't happen if the weather's bad.

It's a Celtic and Rangers thing which the logo started being used in football.

Other teams have some form of friendship like say Rangers and Chelsea and the flag gets spread around the UK who Support both Rangers and Chelsea or let's also say some fans support Bristol city and Rangers, i have also seen a Bristol Rovers / Rangers flag with this type of logo on.

Fans like to show some elegance to Queen or country and our forces in some form or another but mostly seen with the St.george cross around city.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Firm

Now who's looking for a bite!

I wasn't looking for a bite as such, I really was curious as to the connection.

As it turns out, it seems there isn't one except it being a convoluted way of showing support for England.

Surely a St. George Cross would be more suitable? Each to their own though, tis only a flag after all.

As it turns out, it seems there isn't one except it being a convoluted way of showing support for England.

Surely a St. George Cross would be more suitable? Each to their own though, tis only a flag after all.

HOW DARE YOU, YOU SHALL BE BANNED BY BS FOR THIS ATTITUDE! FLAGS ARE THE BE ALL AND END ALL OF FOOTBALL DON'T YA KNOW!

The St. George Cross might well be more suitable, but it wouldn't provoke what many of the people that wave these types of flags want: a reaction.

It's a Celtic and Rangers thing which the logo started being used in football.

Other teams have some form of friendship like say Rangers and Chelsea and the flag gets spread around the UK who Support both Rangers and Chelsea or let's also say some fans support Bristol city and Rangers, i have also seen a Bristol Rovers / Rangers flag with this type of logo on.

Fans like to show some elegance to Queen or country and our forces in some form or another but mostly seen with the St.george cross around city.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Firm

I don't.

I genuinely don't know this....what is the connection between football supporters and the Ulster Banner?

Even on here there are several posters that use it as their main image and it puzzles me.

Are there a lot of Bristol City fans with Northern Irish roots or is there some other reason for it?

I have no scientific evidence of course, but it seems to me that people using the Ulster Banner tend towards the rowdier element of the support so is that something to do with it?

Try Orange Order, to overcome against all the odds, it a symbolic thing.

I wonder if there are plans to ban this type of logo at Ashton gate? if so then why ban something no other club has? (that i know of?).

A sad day indeed if they did ban it, bad enough the word Ultra being a no-no.

It still seems like a strange choice to make when showing your support for England if you have no Northern Irish roots to back it up though.

Err, my late father was born on the Shankill Road. He grew up there before moving to Bristol as a young man.

I was therefore brought up a Royalist and a Loyalist; and it was instilled in me to love this country (United Kingdom), and to respect our armed forces.

Many agree with this stance, many disagree, which is fine.

What I find difficult to understand is why some forum members on here choose to name themselves after murdering communist despots like Kim il Sung, and more recently Chairman Mao !! I mean, really ?!

Who next, Pol Pot ??

Finally "Rich", could you explain "wwtk" please ?

Finally "Rich", could you explain "wwtk" please ?

That's an easy one, it comes from the name of a band I used to help out with (called Walking With The King), I started using richwwtk as an account name then as I had just started using the internet and I've just taken it with me ever since as it's never already taken on any website I use, and if it is I know it's me and I already have an account there.

A sad day indeed if they did ban it, bad enough the word Ultra being a no-no.

It still seems like a strange choice to make when showing your support for England if you have no Northern Irish roots to back it up though.

The elephant in the room is - it's a bit of a right wing thing. Some people may not mean it that way, some may see it as only admirable nationalism, but you can see a parallel with NF & it's successors using (abusing) the St George cross.

The underlying message is (in my opinion) that the people waving the red hand flag are generally pro English, anti Irish, pro Protestant, anti Catholic, and overall "little Englanders" who aren't keen on foreigners.

Try Orange Order, to overcome against all the odds, it a symbolic thing.

Pretty much this.

I need to out my cards on the table that I was brought up very much in a green rather than orange tradition, and am therefore not best placed to speak for them.

However, its not so much as I understand it, having Ulster roots, but more of a sign of being patriotic, in support of the Union, and proud to be British. In short hand, a loyalist.

Equally I have no issue with these flags at all, any more than I do seeing a Rovers flag at an England game. It just shows to me that from a very wide range of backgrounds we come together with common purpose.

In other places, there is a much more secterian undercurrent to all of this, that has no place whatsoever at AG. I have never I must confess witnessed that at AG, and trying to link that evil to these flags would be akin to, well, something like linking the word Ultra to football violence. Quite wrong.

Archived