IGNORED

Ulster Banner

richwwtk

How about a swastika......................or maybe a hammer and sickle?

Fair point about logos..

And a line does need to be there along with homophobia and racism symbols.

I would not like to use it on a flag as swastika represent evil killing of millions and i see the ulster hand as a fight for freedom away from that evil, my grand father fought against the swastika so i wouldn't support it being used, but to ban it? i dunno freedom of expression or just plain wrong??.

I'm well aware of the chant, just don't see the relevance of either it, or the flag, to Bristol City. It's crass relating it to England, let alone a team in a region with no connection whatsoever.

Off your high horse, I wasn't trying to justify it, merely giving you an explanation.

Err, my late father was born on the Shankill Road. He grew up there before moving to Bristol as a young man.

I was therefore brought up a Royalist and a Loyalist; and it was instilled in me to love this country (United Kingdom), and to respect our armed forces.

Many agree with this stance, many disagree, which is fine.

What I find difficult to understand is why some forum members on here choose to name themselves after murdering communist despots like Kim il Sung, and more recently Chairman Mao !! I mean, really ?!

Who next, Pol Pot ??

Finally "Rich", could you explain "wwtk" please ?

Eddie Hitler?

Actually, to be pedantic, there is not a flag for NI apart from the Flag of the United Kingdom, the union flag. The red hand flag of Ulster is a loyalist symbol.

True, yet there's nothing wrong with being loyalist in the same way as there is nothing wrong with being a peaceful republican, if the club banned the tri colour then there would be uproar, but as its banned any loyalist notion then it should fall into political line and ban the republican flag!

It's all a load of gonads & the club have dug themselves a huge PR hole...........what a surprise!!!!!!

So, if the people displaying the flag are doing it to show their loyalty to 'The Union' do they also give their full support to Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales when not playing against England?

No. It's not as simplistic as that - the way I understand it is more about symbolism. 

Are you sure you're not just looking for bites? Don't take this personally but judging from your previous posts on related subjects it feels a bit like it.

I imagine it's a Protestant/ anti catholicthing

And how many people on here actually attend church other than usual weddings or funerals etc?

Wear your football shirts, scarves etc to a church service to see how it goes down!

Keep it seperate, this is sport and that is religion, start combining the two and we all go down a very difficult path as in Glasgow.

No. It's not as simplistic as that - the way I understand it is more about symbolism. 

Are you sure you're not just looking for bites? Don't take this personally but judging from your previous posts on related subjects it feels a bit like it.

The question about supporting the other home nations may have been a bit of a fishing trip, but I really did start this as genuinely interested.

And I'm fairly certain that I've never posted on this sort of subject before, apart from condemning the ban on the word Ultra which I think most of the people who don't like my posts would agree with.

Where people have a problem with me is that I am very vocal against violence at football, and I dared to suggest that when the police ask for assistance in identifying violent offenders then they should be helped if you have information that might help.

Apparently that makes me a grass and against any kind of fun.

For the record, I am, and always have been, fully supportive of vocal and partisan support. I have posted more than once that I think the whole of the South Stand should be unreserved seating to create a proper 'end'. The only things I have ever been against are violence and racism at football, or in general. If that makes me anti-fun then I'm guilty and in my view it's a sad refleection on people that think like that.

I don't have any issue with fans flying a flag to show their support of something but would draw the line should there be any sort of tie up with either Rangers or Celtic.

I have Northern Irish roots and would not like City to have any tie to either side of the sectarian divide, it's nothing to do with us and long may it stay that way.

When McInnes asked for Penny arcade to be played, I wasn't in favour. Not that it's a bad tune / chant but it's heavily sectarian and I want City to have no part in it.

I wonder if there are plans to ban this type of logo at Ashton gate? if so then why ban something no other club has? (that i know of?).

I have seen a few flags around.

NO269_zpshays9o2a.jpg

NO298_zpsxpxjpbnw.jpg

NO297_zpsbpsjbyxy.jpg

NO115_zpsovde5av9.jpg

NO112_zpsmentnurw.jpg

NO113_zpsyzska2pi.jpg

Are these your flags? I've been looking for a Bristol (or nearby) Rangers SC for a while now without luck. I spent my younger yeas in Glasgow and have been looking for an excuse to go back for a couple of games for a long time.

Yup keep it separate. But if our Irish players want to celebrate promotion by jumping up and down holding the flag of their birthplace then I don't think we could knock them for that. Just the same as when we had Brazilian, Australian, Welsh, Scottish etc players in the past.

I genuinely don't know this....what is the connection between football supporters and the Ulster Banner?

Even on here there are several posters that use it as their main image and it puzzles me.

Are there a lot of Bristol City fans with Northern Irish roots or is there some other reason for it?

I have no scientific evidence of course, but it seems to me that people using the Ulster Banner tend towards the rowdier element of the support so is that something to do with it?

If anyone could explain I would be most grateful.

Hi Rich,

I imagine the post was originally aimed at myself, so just a few issues for you to digest:

1.) The UK is a free country, I can wave whatever flag and I want and don't have to justify it, not least to OTIB.

2.) Down the gate I have seen these flags: Ghana, Jamaica, Polish, Romanian, Dutch, Swedish and so on. Why is someone with an NI flag instantly assumed by the forum to be a bigoted sectarian anti-Irish person?

3.) Is it remotely conceivable that certain members of our fan base come from NI, or perhaps it's homage to NI players who once played for City, alike the Polish flags for Jacky?

4.) People who go to City have links with Rangers & NI or maybe have loyalist/unionist tendencies. Has been like that for years. If you have any issues or think it doesn't belong, write a letter to Bristol Sport: they seem keen to crack down on anything remotely fun and have already banned flags with the word 'loyal'.

I hope you all enjoy your free guiness hats and tri-colour flag freebies on St Patricks night. Much love.

Hi Rich,

I imagine the post was originally aimed at myself, so just a few issues for you to digest:

1.) The UK is a free country, I can wave whatever flag and I want and don't have to justify it, not least to OTIB.

2.) Down the gate I have seen these flags: Ghana, Jamaica, Polish, Romanian, Dutch, Swedish and so on. Why is someone with an NI flag instantly assumed by the forum to be a bigoted sectarian anti-Irish person?

3.) Is it remotely conceivable that certain members of our fan base come from NI, or perhaps it's homage to NI players who once played for City, alike the Polish flags for Jacky?

4.) People who go to City have links with Rangers & NI or maybe have loyalist/unionist tendencies. Has been like that for years. If you have any issues or think it doesn't belong, write a letter to Bristol Sport: they seem keen to crack down on anything remotely fun and have already banned flags with the word 'loyal'.

I hope you all enjoy your free guiness hats and tri-colour flag freebies on St Patricks night. Much love.

It wasn't aimed directly at you, there are a number of posters that use it in their forum images and I was genuinely interested as to why.

1) Of course you are entitled to wave whatever flag you want, I've never suggested otherwise.

2) At no time have I ever accused you or anyone else of being bigoted or anti-Irish, I really didn't understand the link and wondered why a flag that ceased to officially exist over 40 years ago is so prevalent around English Football.

3) To suggest that it's an homage to Northern Irish players from our past is disingenuous at best. There may have been one or two Polish flags around AG in the past due to Jacki, but the Ulster Banner is too widespread around English Football in general for that to be the reason.

4) Does the loyalist/unionist thing extend to the other countries within the union? And if it does then why do we not see welsh and scottish flags around English football grounds? I also definitely wouldn't want it banned, I am against all forms of censorship so long as I am free to speak out against the things I don't agree with. I wasn't aware the word loyal was banned from flags, just the word Ultra, and that ban has been lifted this evening so everyone's a winner!

P.S. Can't stand the St Patrick's day hype, just a marketing exercise to sell more Guinness. Would be much happier with more focus on St George's day, a parade I take part in every year along with Remembrance Sunday.

I support England first and foremost but then I support Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland when they are playing 'foreign' countries. I remember during the 2006-7 promotion season a Northern Ireland flag with Belfast BCFC being at a number of away games. Not sure if it had any link to Ivan Sproule.

I should add I am not right wing or anti Catholic and would have no problem with an Irish tricolour being flown for Greg Cunningham.

It wasn't aimed directly at you, there are a number of posters that use it in their forum images and I was genuinely interested as to why.

1) Of course you are entitled to wave whatever flag you want, I've never suggested otherwise.

2) At no time have I ever accused you or anyone else of being bigoted or anti-Irish, I really didn't understand the link and wondered why a flag that ceased to officially exist over 40 years ago is so prevalent around English Football.

3) To suggest that it's an homage to Northern Irish players from our past is disingenuous at best. There may have been one or two Polish flags around AG in the past due to Jacki, but the Ulster Banner is too widespread around English Football in general for that to be the reason.

4) Does the loyalist/unionist thing extend to the other countries within the union? And if it does then why do we not see welsh and scottish flags around English football grounds? I also definitely wouldn't want it banned, I am against all forms of censorship so long as I am free to speak out against the things I don't agree with. I wasn't aware the word loyal was banned from flags, just the word Ultra, and that ban has been lifted this evening so everyone's a winner!

P.S. Can't stand the St Patrick's day hype, just a marketing exercise to sell more Guinness. Would be much happier with more focus on St George's day, a parade I take part in every year along with Remembrance Sunday.

Good answers. I can't comment why you see no jock or taff flags but the NI flag seems to be a way of displaying loyalty and pride in an increasingly anti - British political sphere.

As for St Paddy's day, any Englishman who celebrates it but not St Georges Day needs his head examining

Good answers. I can't comment why you see no jock or taff flags but the NI flag seems to be a way of displaying loyalty and pride in an increasingly anti - British political sphere.

As for St Paddy's day, any Englishman who celebrates it but not St Georges Day needs his head examining

I don't know any Englishman who celebrates St Patrick's day, but plenty who take advanatge of cheap beer promotions in their local on that day.

Fair point about logos..

And a line does need to be there along with homophobia and racism symbols.

I would not like to use it on a flag as swastika represent evil killing of millions and i see the ulster hand as a fight for freedom away from that evil, my grand father fought against the swastika so i wouldn't support it being used, but to ban it? i dunno freedom of expression or just plain wrong??.

Not meant as argumentative but as information. The swastika goes back a long way into history and prior to it's use by the Nazi Party, had various meanings.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika#Swastika_in_Finnish_military

Just info, I am not suggesting we should use it.

Not meant as argumentative but as information. The swastika goes back a long way into history and prior to it's use by the Nazi Party, had various meanings.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika#Swastika_in_Finnish_military

Just info, I am not suggesting we should use it.

Fair enough that is interesting to read and goes to show should it be banned because it was latched on to due to the nazi's??? as i said it is about freedom of expression and what do we ban or not??? Because due to affiliation of one group on a name and logo  as those were quick to judge ultras becaue of that word and who so say follows it?  many meanings..

The ULTRA'S flag is now no longer banned from Ashton gate and won on appeal but leave it at that, no fuss..

Chopper Hitler down the pub ;-)

Without googling the red hand was from a legend about a king giving a prize to the first man on an invading ship to touch land, so somebody cut off his own hand and threw it onto the beach to win the prize.

That is correct - and what I never understand is why it ever became a Protestant symbol. It was the heraldic symbol of the O'Neill family, prominent Catholic nobles and resistors of the Scottish/English settlement process.

What I find difficult to understand is why some forum members on here choose to name themselves after murdering communist despots like Kim il Sung, and more recently Chairman Mao !! I mean, really ?! ?

Hahaha, well I chose the name since I live just a couple of hours drive from the North Korean border.. It was just a bit of fun really. If it offends people, ill happily change it.

Archived