IGNORED

Lee Johnson

Lord Northski

He will get a good one. 100%. They love him for many reasons and understand why he had to leave

Just about to post the same - his relationship with fans is still v good. None other than Scholes was speaking very highly of him in a post-resignation interview

I had a look as he was one of ours, there was nothing in the title that suggested such a boring subject matter, but that seems to be the way on here of late.

I mean seriously who really gives a **** what reception he gets at whatever ground he is at?

Alright RR leave it out. Some people care. Some people don't.

Made a good living out of being an average player followoing his Dad around, I'll treat him like any visiting manager. Not sure why people feel he should get any special treatment.

Kilkenny gets crap on here for pointing and passing sideways, LJ gets this love in for doing pretty much the same, baffles me.

Made a good living out of being an average player followoing his Dad around, I'll treat him like any visiting manager. Not sure why people feel he should get any special treatment.

Kilkenny gets crap on here for pointing and passing sideways, LJ gets this love in for doing pretty much the same, baffles me.

A genuine question, did you go to Ashton Gate when LJ was playing for us? The reason I ask is LJ absolutely did not get anything even close to a love in during his playing time here. He was rather roundly derided on here and in the crowds there was obvious unease with his playing ahead of some players - this translated into an overt and obvious lack of support for the guy.

He turned a lot of people around because you know what when he left we realised exactly what we had and what we missed. He was imo the lynchpin that held that team together and got us ticking even if he wasn't doing the spectacular job himself. He had excellent game reading and game management skills which were overlooked. When Kilkenny left we had none of that and no obvious realisation in the way we played that he had gone. That's because Kilkenny and LJ were and are incomparable in what they actually did for us.

But not only that he has always been a true gentleman and has spoken exceptionally well of the club. Despite how he was treated by not insignificant sections of support he has shown he is a really classy guy. The least we can do is applaud someone who was a great servant to the club and someone we should all acknowledge did not get the support he should have from all four stands - and I include myself in that. I may have sounded off on here, been a bit too zealous in a groan to two at the ground, but looking back I absolutely acknowledge that he was a good player for us.

I have a casual interest in Lee Johnsons managerial career simply because of his former links with City.

and he isn't his dad ;)

Lee will get a good reception, and would still be oldham manager if their board didn't put him into that situation with Ched Evans,

I said at the time Lee will take the first job offered after the board at oldham did that to him,

I hope they win the play-off so we can get 6 points next season,

He's got a good future as a manager thats for

A genuine question, did you go to Ashton Gate when LJ was playing for us? The reason I ask is LJ absolutely did not get anything even close to a love in during his playing time here. He was rather roundly derided on here and in the crowds there was obvious unease with his playing ahead of some players - this translated into an overt and obvious lack of support for the guy.

He turned a lot of people around because you know what when he left we realised exactly what we had and what we missed. He was imo the lynchpin that held that team together and got us ticking even if he wasn't doing the spectacular job himself. He had excellent game reading and game management skills which were overlooked. When Kilkenny left we had none of that and no obvious realisation in the way we played that he had gone. That's because Kilkenny and LJ were and are incomparable in what they actually did for us.

But not only that he has always been a true gentleman and has spoken exceptionally well of the club. Despite how he was treated by not insignificant sections of support he has shown he is a really classy guy. The least we can do is applaud someone who was a great servant to the club and someone we should all acknowledge did not get the support he should have from all four stands - and I include myself in that. I may have sounded off on here, been a bit too zealous in a groan to two at the ground, but looking back I absolutely acknowledge that he was a good player for us.

Saw my first game in 1966 and have been going ever since, home and away during the Gary Johnson period so I saw plenty of LJ, I struggle to remember the player that you describe. I remember one that avoided physical contact, avoided possession when under pressure, he probably had the odd game but then he was a professional footballer so he had to have something, at least his Dad thought so. I always thought it showed a weakness in Gary Johnson's character that he was here at all, he needed to be the first name on the team sheet, he was rarely that. What finsihed it for me was the article I read in some Sunday supplement mag about him becoming a propoerty millionaire. He had bought a house in Clifton and then used a building company that sponsored his shirt if I remember righly to do the property up at cost and make him a big fat profit. If you think about it all off the back of hard working people that went through the turnstiles.

Why wouldn't he speak higly of the club? How many managers or players to you hear bad mouthing former employers? Virtually none, they never know when they might next want a job do they.

He can come back with whatever team he wants to, but he'll never get anything from me that I wouldn't give to the opposition manager - respect as long as he respects us.

Saw my first game in 1966 and have been going ever since, home and away during the Gary Johnson period so I saw plenty of LJ, I struggle to remember the player that you describe. I remember one that avoided physical contact, avoided possession when under pressure, he probably had the odd game but then he was a professional footballer so he had to have something, at least his Dad thought so. I always thought it showed a weakness in Gary Johnson's character that he was here at all, he needed to be the first name on the team sheet, he was rarely that. What finsihed it for me was the article I read in some Sunday supplement mag about him becoming a propoerty millionaire. He had bought a house in Clifton and then used a building company that sponsored his shirt if I remember righly to do the property up at cost and make him a big fat profit. If you think about it all off the back of hard working people that went through the turnstiles.

Why wouldn't he speak higly of the club? How many managers or players to you hear bad mouthing former employers? Virtually none, they never know when they might next want a job do they.

He can come back with whatever team he wants to, but he'll never get anything from me that I wouldn't give to the opposition manager - respect as long as he respects us.

can't of watched the same games as me, he was the only player available for a pass when under pressure,

and was critisied on here for getting needless yellow cards for being overly physical

Working in Oldham today and apparently Johnson won't get the reception I was told when he immediately left. I think on one hand the fans understand it but on the other they are pissed off as he constantly spoke about building things and sticking together. General consensus up here is that 1/3 will applaud, 1/3 will boo and 1/3 are so apathetic with the club they don't particularly care

and he isn't his dad ;)

Lee will get a good reception, and would still be oldham manager if their board didn't put him into that situation with Ched Evans,

I said at the time Lee will take the first job offered after the board at oldham did that to him,

I hope they win the play-off so we can get 6 points next season,

He's got a good future as a manager thats for

The anticipation is killing me.

Wow....just...wow!  You come across like a really bitter old man, don't you?!?  You had it "finished" for you because he invested his money wisely and turned a profit....  With people like McIndoe and Gazza out there, how on earth can you resent someone for showing financial acumen?!? That just smacks of a huge amount of jealousy.  (I say "come across" as I'll give you the benefit of doubt that you just worded that badly...)

I admit I was a fan of LJ when he was here, I could see what he offered, and could see clearly that Marv was not the same player after LJ got injured in the play-off season (I'm sure I probably said it on here at the time).  That aside, I think that the fact that he publicly speaks highly of us despite some of the abuse and bile he faced while here shows a huge amount of character from the lad.  He was never quick to shy away when the abuse kept flying and for me was the epitome of a consummate professional.

He has a good footballing brain and if he continues his upward development then I see no reason why he may not be SC's eventual replacement and would be happy to welcome him back.

I was in England quite a lot during the Johnsons era so saw a lot of Lee playing. To this day i could not quite figure out why he got a level of abuse that one would only expect for an opposition player. I always thought he was a little dynamo in the engine room and it only petered out a little toward the end when i am sure the criticism was getting to him... Bit like the disgraceful treatment on match days that people gave Fonts.

Criticism on a forum is one thing but out there on the pitch u should get behind the team because booing affects everyone.

Working in Oldham today and apparently Johnson won't get the reception I was told when he immediately left. I think on one hand the fans understand it but on the other they are pissed off as he constantly spoke about building things and sticking together. General consensus up here is that 1/3 will applaud, 1/3 will boo and 1/3 are so apathetic with the club they don't particularly care

I suppose with the size of their attendances you've probably spoken to everyone whose going!

I was in England quite a lot during the Johnsons era so saw a lot of Lee playing. To this day i could not quite figure out why he got a level of abuse that one would only expect for an opposition player. I always thought he was a little dynamo in the engine room and it only petered out a little toward the end when i am sure the criticism was getting to him... Bit like the disgraceful treatment on match days that people gave Fonts.

Criticism on a forum is one thing but out there on the pitch u should get behind the team because booing affects everyone.

I'm absolutely with you on LJ and like I said I was probably guilty on occasions.

But.... I do disagree re Fonts. Some of what happened was absolutely disgusting (the verbals he reportedly got when out with his family) and I would never condone that. However, his performances were so abject, his attitude so nonchalant and his demeanour so unapologetic, I really lost all respect I once had for the guy.

I actually find a lot of what was written was fitting of what he was turning out. At the Gate I don't think he really got it that bad, in fact I'd say it was less than LJ endured. That it wasn't significantly vocal except for some isolated incidents was a positive step.

A fantastic businessman, too early to judge his managerial career, nice articulate lad, and as a player I echo your thoughts.

Really hope he does well in his chosen career path, even if he takes Barnsley into the conference North IMHO he will have been a better manager than player.

One things for sure he's got a lot of threads on this forum!!!!!!

Wow....just...wow!  You come across like a really bitter old man, don't you?!?  You had it "finished" for you because he invested his money wisely and turned a profit....  With people like McIndoe and Gazza out there, how on earth can you resent someone for showing financial acumen?!? That just smacks of a huge amount of jealousy.  (I say "come across" as I'll give you the benefit of doubt that you just worded that badly...)

I admit I was a fan of LJ when he was here, I could see what he offered, and could see clearly that Marv was not the same player after LJ got injured in the play-off season (I'm sure I probably said it on here at the time).  That aside, I think that the fact that he publicly speaks highly of us despite some of the abuse and bile he faced while here shows a huge amount of character from the lad.  He was never quick to shy away when the abuse kept flying and for me was the epitome of a consummate professional.

He has a good footballing brain and if he continues his upward development then I see no reason why he may not be SC's eventual replacement and would be happy to welcome him back.

The injury to Elliot was awful, the one to his back from carrying LJ around was worse! Boom boom.

In all seriousness the LJ argument will never be agreed on.

It's time to put it to bed and respect each others opinions.

I must say I saw a lot of him both home & away and the abuse and moaning, boos he got was unrivalled of any city player I've watched in over 30 years of supporting the team.

In the end it's all about opinions, one things for sure getting on a players back all the time won't make him play with anymore confidence, it's not good for the team, hopefully that'll be LJ's unwritten legacy!

Now can we move on please.

Archived