IGNORED

Our Huuuuge Budget

Southport Red

The thing that bugs me about all the media talk of our huge budget...

Is not that it is inaccurate (only spent the Baldock money etc etc)

Is not that it is lazy journalism and

Is not that it demeans our accomplishment.

No. The thing that REALLY bugs me about it is that the people saying it are the very SAME people that fawn over Man City and Chelski every chance they get.

Man City and Chelsea are at the top end of the Premier League because they are great teams, we're at the top of ours because we are super-rich and are buying the title!

Ultimately, it's the sheer, grinding hypocracy that gets my goat.

No. The thing that REALLY bugs me about it is that the people saying it are the very SAME people that fawn over Man City and Chelski every chance they get.

Man City and Chelsea are at the top end of the Premier League because they are great teams, we're at the top of ours because we are super-rich and are buying the title!

...... and how many clubs have chucked money around, sometimes for years and always failed dismally.  Florest are one that immediately springs to mind.

I totally agree with you and the pundits are doing a massive disservice to the players, manager, coaches etc, by not giving THEM the credit for us being where we are now.  Even if we had spent big, which we haven't, history has proved time and again that doesn't guarantee you success.

What is our average salary compared to other clubs?

Surely that's not the question, it's what is our total wage bill compared to other clubs?

Our strategy has worked, small better paid squad with emergency loanees when injuries occur - potentially high risk but massive reward if it works

We've put the leg work in to meet these requirements and it looks like we are reaping the rewards now

I hope to god I doesn't come out we have massively overspent when the figures come out - I do believe the club won't have got this wrong, they won't advertise they have taken a high risk strategy though

Surely that's not the question, it's what is our total wage bill compared to other clubs?

Our strategy has worked, small better paid squad with emergency loanees when injuries occur - potentially high risk but massive reward if it works

We've put the leg work in to meet these requirements and it looks like we are reaping the rewards now

I hope to god I doesn't come out we have massively overspent when the figures come out - I do believe the club won't have got this wrong, they won't advertise they have taken a high risk strategy though

Perhaps that is the question then but what is the answer? I'd say we were probably top three.

You should take arms and kill them my friend.

Admittedly against the law, but sometimes the passion of a few is stronger than the ignorance of many.

(Or something. Probably.)

we hav en't even got the biggest budget in league one I suspect theres a few clubs above us

The only clubs that realistically may be above are Preston and Sheffield United based on club size and signings they've made.

Even then, until you see accounts for each club it's difficult to say. With us having Bristol Sport, I'm sure some of the costs (pitch for example) have been absorbed into BS accounts.

On the other hand, the general assumption is that Matt Smith was on a lot at Fulham, I even read 15k but can't verify. Chances are we'd have been paying a large percentage of that if not all. Tavernier and Saville will be on championship wages too. I'd be surprised if any other clubs in this league would pay their wages IF we're paying all/the majority.

We do have a lot of money compared to most clubs here.

The only clubs that realistically may be above are Preston and Sheffield United based on club size and signings they've made.

Even then, until you see accounts for each club it's difficult to say. With us having Bristol Sport, I'm sure some of the costs (pitch for example) have been absorbed into BS accounts.

On the other hand, the general assumption is that Matt Smith was on a lot at Fulham, I even read 15k but can't verify. Chances are we'd have been paying a large percentage of that if not all. Tavernier and Saville will be on championship wages too. I'd be surprised if any other clubs in this league would pay their wages IF we're paying all/the majority.

We do have a lot of money compared to most clubs here.

Hooray, so sense being spoken.

No idea why so many are so precious about it.

We do have one of the richest chairman in the whole of English football so I am afraid we are going to have to get used to it.

But my point was about pundit's hypocracy . Our chairmanship wealth is irrelevant. Pundits don't say Man C or Chelsea ar buying the title do they?

As far as taking the best players from other clubs is concerned, we used to have a word for that in the old days. It was called SCOUTING

But my point was about pundit's hypocracy . Our chairmanship wealth is irrelevant. Pundits don't say Man C or Chelsea ar buying the title do they?

As far as taking the best players from other clubs is concerned, we used to have a word for that in the old days. It was called SCOUTING

I agree with what you are saying and it would be interesting to compare our wage budget with other League one clubs. Unfortunately, we will never get these figures though.

Lansdown is actually incredibly stingy given his enormous wealth.

The sad truth is that its difficult to be sensible and successful in football these days. Only a handful of football clubs are self sustaining.

Yep. You're right. I don't think anyone buys a football club with the intention of making money. I think we're just lucky we have a massive fan as the owner.

Archived