IGNORED

Our Huuuuge Budget

Southport Red

The thing that bugs me about all the media talk of our huge budget...

Is not that it is inaccurate (only spent the Baldock money etc etc)

Is not that it is lazy journalism and

Is not that it demeans our accomplishment.

No. The thing that REALLY bugs me about it is that the people saying it are the very SAME people that fawn over Man City and Chelski every chance they get.

Man City and Chelsea are at the top end of the Premier League because they are great teams, we're at the top of ours because we are super-rich and are buying the title!

Ultimately, it's the sheer, grinding hypocracy that gets my goat.

No. The thing that REALLY bugs me about it is that the people saying it are the very SAME people that fawn over Man City and Chelski every chance they get.

Man City and Chelsea are at the top end of the Premier League because they are great teams, we're at the top of ours because we are super-rich and are buying the title!

...... and how many clubs have chucked money around, sometimes for years and always failed dismally.  Florest are one that immediately springs to mind.

I totally agree with you and the pundits are doing a massive disservice to the players, manager, coaches etc, by not giving THEM the credit for us being where we are now.  Even if we had spent big, which we haven't, history has proved time and again that doesn't guarantee you success.

What is our average salary compared to other clubs?

Surely that's not the question, it's what is our total wage bill compared to other clubs?

Our strategy has worked, small better paid squad with emergency loanees when injuries occur - potentially high risk but massive reward if it works

We've put the leg work in to meet these requirements and it looks like we are reaping the rewards now

I hope to god I doesn't come out we have massively overspent when the figures come out - I do believe the club won't have got this wrong, they won't advertise they have taken a high risk strategy though

Surely that's not the question, it's what is our total wage bill compared to other clubs?

Our strategy has worked, small better paid squad with emergency loanees when injuries occur - potentially high risk but massive reward if it works

We've put the leg work in to meet these requirements and it looks like we are reaping the rewards now

I hope to god I doesn't come out we have massively overspent when the figures come out - I do believe the club won't have got this wrong, they won't advertise they have taken a high risk strategy though

Perhaps that is the question then but what is the answer? I'd say we were probably top three.

You should take arms and kill them my friend.

Admittedly against the law, but sometimes the passion of a few is stronger than the ignorance of many.

(Or something. Probably.)

we hav en't even got the biggest budget in league one I suspect theres a few clubs above us

The only clubs that realistically may be above are Preston and Sheffield United based on club size and signings they've made.

Even then, until you see accounts for each club it's difficult to say. With us having Bristol Sport, I'm sure some of the costs (pitch for example) have been absorbed into BS accounts.

On the other hand, the general assumption is that Matt Smith was on a lot at Fulham, I even read 15k but can't verify. Chances are we'd have been paying a large percentage of that if not all. Tavernier and Saville will be on championship wages too. I'd be surprised if any other clubs in this league would pay their wages IF we're paying all/the majority.

We do have a lot of money compared to most clubs here.

The only clubs that realistically may be above are Preston and Sheffield United based on club size and signings they've made.

Even then, until you see accounts for each club it's difficult to say. With us having Bristol Sport, I'm sure some of the costs (pitch for example) have been absorbed into BS accounts.

On the other hand, the general assumption is that Matt Smith was on a lot at Fulham, I even read 15k but can't verify. Chances are we'd have been paying a large percentage of that if not all. Tavernier and Saville will be on championship wages too. I'd be surprised if any other clubs in this league would pay their wages IF we're paying all/the majority.

We do have a lot of money compared to most clubs here.

Hooray, so sense being spoken.

No idea why so many are so precious about it.

We do have one of the richest chairman in the whole of English football so I am afraid we are going to have to get used to it.

But my point was about pundit's hypocracy . Our chairmanship wealth is irrelevant. Pundits don't say Man C or Chelsea ar buying the title do they?

As far as taking the best players from other clubs is concerned, we used to have a word for that in the old days. It was called SCOUTING

But my point was about pundit's hypocracy . Our chairmanship wealth is irrelevant. Pundits don't say Man C or Chelsea ar buying the title do they?

As far as taking the best players from other clubs is concerned, we used to have a word for that in the old days. It was called SCOUTING

I agree with what you are saying and it would be interesting to compare our wage budget with other League one clubs. Unfortunately, we will never get these figures though.

Lansdown is actually incredibly stingy given his enormous wealth.

The sad truth is that its difficult to be sensible and successful in football these days. Only a handful of football clubs are self sustaining.

Yep. You're right. I don't think anyone buys a football club with the intention of making money. I think we're just lucky we have a massive fan as the owner.

No they just love bootlicking those particular clubs, if you're not CL or challenging at the top echelons of the PL you're not worth knowing.

Not at all old chap, I did the math once.  Given SL is worth approx $2 billion (was more than that 6 months ago) 50m is not that much money at all.

On my earnings its the equivalent of chucking a few hundred quid at the club. 

If i was his age and had his money I would have spunked some serious cash on City by now (think 40k Collis Natch Stadium and Tevez and Van Persie on loan).  Whether or not you think that is the answer is a different matter all together.

But worth isn't cash in the bank. He could be worth half of that in no time if the markets crashed.

Pundits might not.............. but I do!

I've read a few of these posts about our budget on here now and in my opinion, who cares?!

Whether or not we have the biggest budget, whether or not we pay the most wages, whether or not we spend the most money on transfer fees, as some have said, it's what you go out and do on the pitch that matters.

Like it or not football is more of a business these days than it used to be and I for one am glad that my beloved club has the finances and vision for the future that it has, let the moaners moan and the jealous be jealous.

It could all be so much worse, we could be the blue few on the other side of town.

• Admin

I think Swindon were quite vocal about how satisfying it was to beat a club with our budget when they cheated their way to a 1-0 win earlier this season. They can't be that envious of our budget when the 1 player Cooper would sign from League One is our academy product & not a result of our huge budget.

Whatever our budget actually is, the promising thing is it's now being spent on young players with a lot of potential.

We could have paid out for a squad of players with lots of experience at this level and above and that would have probably got us promoted quite easily. But that would be that. They might do OK at the level above for a bit but it would fall apart eventually (sound familiar?)

The majority of the squad we have now is young players who can still get better. They've all improved dramatically over the course of the season both as individuals and as a team. There are players in the squad that genuinely look like they could be Premiership players one day (perhaps not with City).

We can afford these players right now because they're young. If they take us with them we might be able to afford them when their in their prime, but they'll be out of reach of any league one club.

Seems most of you accept that you've bought the league. Fair play for your honesty. Will probably be a bigger achievement by us if we finish 2nd?

I am not sure about the actual numbers,but we sold the leagues Top striker and recruited some quality players into a fairly small squad.Add to that a big improvement in some of the players that we already had.I don't really feel we have bought anything in that respect.

Seems most of you accept that you've bought the league. Fair play for your honesty. Will probably be a bigger achievement by us if we finish 2nd?

We're operating within FFFP rules and because we get bigger crowds than you we've got more to spend. We've got an 18 man first team squad whereas Yeovil, for example, have 30 in their squad like most clubs I imagine. The fact we've spent our money wisely on quality over quantity and you get crowds of 6K so have about half our money to spend on a larger squad in comparison is your problem not ours. If turnover was everything then Sheffield United should be p1$$ing this league but they aren't!!

Probably a bigger achievement if you get second, agreed, must be a big handicap having only 7 players standing up at any point during the game.

I would of thought we are in the top 3 wages wise even if not actual players fees due to baldock.

As said previously in this post the key thing about the players that we have bought are that they are young and can develop further .although down side about this is that other clubs will see the same potential and try and buy them . I'm particularly worried about losing Freeman.

The clever thing we did was buy quality players from small teams so the fee wasn't huge but when we 're in the champ this will be harder they will no doubt expect more money.

Which until the new stadium is done , will put strain on our budget .when you look at the figures our budget(a thread on here the other day) was 2nd smallest in the league .

Probably a bigger achievement if you get second, agreed, must be a big handicap having only 7 players standing up at any point during the game.

And three of those seven are in mid air celebrating the latest sending off they've managed to con the ref into giving.

Will be a big achievement for you, of course, but it must irk you lot that a fair chunk the money you are actually getting in through the turnstiles etc is being spent on wages for players who don't even belong to your club...?

Be an even bigger achievement if you avoid going into administration in the coming year.

I'm not one who thinks we've "bought the league".

Steve Lansdown has been City's owner for a number of years and he's always been seriously rich throughout that time but until this season City have not done much regarding the league. A couple of promotions followed soon after by relegation in SLs time.

What has made the difference imo is the appointment of Kieth Burt who is an experienced wheeler dealers in the football world. Until his appointment we had no-one with his knowledge,skills and experience at the club.

The other difference is Steve Cotterill who unlike previous managers has, in conjunction with Kieth Burt been able to bring in good quality players and has managed them into an excellant squad.

Money helps of course but it's definately not the sole reason that City are 13 points clear at the top.

What has made the difference imo is the appointment of Kieth Burt who is an experienced wheeler dealers in the football world. Until his appointment we had no-one with his knowledge,skills and experience at the club.

Quite telling that at the meeting on Monday Martin Griffiths said Burt had been "phenomenal" since he'd been here. He's in charge of recruitment and our recruitment has been near on perfect since he's been here, even under SOD. Maybe 2 or 3 duds and that's it - an incredible record.

Quite telling that at the meeting on Monday Martin Griffiths said Burt had been "phenomenal" since he'd been here. He's in charge of recruitment and our recruitment has been near on perfect since he's been here, even under SOD. Maybe 2 or 3 duds and that's it - an incredible record.

El Abd and Osborne are the only 2 duds and even then Osborne is there through no fault of his own

I am not sure about the actual numbers,but we sold the leagues Top striker and recruited some quality players into a fairly small squad.Add to that a big improvement in some of the players that we already had.I don't really feel we have bought anything in that respect.

Isn't someone supposed to add the term 'whoosh' at this point? or something that sounds like that?

One thing I cannot argue with the Swindle about is that for them to come second it would, indeed, rank amongst the highest achievements in their 100+ year history if not The highest; absolutely incredible achievement for a tiny tin pot club, with a rich vein of debt and history of malfeasance to come anywhere near top of a small lower league division. 

As for us.. winning the league, in comparison, and probably by a canter is of course a decent achievement but 4 or 5 places shy of being the most celebratory. 

Shows the difference between a tinpot, no mark outfit like yourselves and us... keep clutching at straws.

I take it you enjoyed the open top bus tour after winning the league back in November?

With your cheating on and off the pitch and abusing the loan loophole Imo it won't be an achievement at all. Lets hope Preston get over the line eh?

How do you know they're the same people? Have you cross-referenced them or something? 

In general, player budget and league position are closely related. I read a stat once (would love to remember where) that said that taken over one season, there can always be anomalies, but if you look over 3 seasons, league position and player budget rankings are almost identical. Clearly promotion/relegation makes this more tricky (as I say, can't remember where the stat was from so can't go back and check it)

El Abd and Osborne are the only 2 duds and even then Osborne is there through no fault of his own

I wouldn't call Osborne a dud just unlucky to get injured pre season & lost his place then unable to get it back due to the team doing so well, El Abd yes but he might be a player better suited to playing the Championship I certainly hope so or at least if we get rid him we don't take to much of a loss.

Like someone else said I'm worried about holding onto Freeman as his potential is there for everyone to see & hope that soon as we are definitely promoted we get him tied to a minimum of a 3 year contract.

Archived