IGNORED

Wes Burns

Aaron-Bcfc

Well I guess he's doing at Cheltenham what Matt Smith did for us here. Getting games, getting fit, getting confident and scoring goals. Like Matt Smith we can look on and wait and see what happens next for him. Well done Wes

I think Wes has a future with us. Yep he can be a bit ropey on the positional sense front at times but he has got bags of potential and to me that is more important.

His header for us at Cheltenham this season was a great goal and I will be gutted if we give up on him just because we may be in a higher division next season.

Or being praised to much on here for scoring in league 2

Considering the lad is only 20 and has started scoring at football league standard, albeit lower league, tells us he's learning and improving which is great for us.  We should be looking forward to that and he could be realizing that potential over the next 12 - 18 months.

I hope we keep hold of Wes as reckon he's got a future here but you can't expect a player to improve without decent game time which he's obviously getting at Cheltenham, Yea these goals might be in the league below but the goal is the same size & place it is in every other league so they'd at least be on target even if they get saved by better keepers or blocks from defenders.

Think it's just a case of Wes & us finding his best position where he'll benefit the team getting his fair amount of game time which is hard at the moment with how good the team are playing. Maybe next season we can send him out on a 6 month loan to a league 1 club so he can get game time & continue to improve with the aim of holding a starting place when Wilbs eventually retires with us in the Championship.

Keep up the good work Wes hope to see you scoring regularly for us in the Championship soon.

Wes Burns has pace and the ability to get past the last defender consistency, positional sense and when to cross can be learnt. Natural speed can't. Yannick Bolasie is classic example - never seemed to impress many city fans but now established Prem player. Watching Stephen Pearson trundle around for Motherwell .... Wes for me every time.

Do I see him playing for city in the championship? The answer is No.

Don't really understand how you can conclude that? He has incredible pace, good touch and, it seems, knows where the goal is when given an opportunity up front.

He may or may not cut it in the Championship for City, but I can't see how you can possibly conclude, from what we've seen, that he will not.

Don't really understand how you can conclude that? He has incredible pace, good touch and, it seems, knows where the goal is when given an opportunity up front.

He may or may not cut it in the Championship for City, but I can't see how you can possibly conclude, from what we've seen, that he will not.

Agreed. Some are blinded simply because he is an academy product. Hasnt proved anything to me other than sheer pace with not much ability tbh.

The whole point of this thread is to show he is proving something...

Let's also not forget Joe Bryan has only came good this season; he was being written off not too long ago

Agreed. Some are blinded simply because he is an academy product. Hasnt proved anything to me other than sheer pace with not much ability tbh.

He isn't.

He was released by Cardiff's academy and snapped up by us.

I like him a lot, to be scoring regularly now at 20 in a struggling league two side suggests to me we have a very promising youngster on our hands in Wes.

These days young players are built on successful loans, as seen with Joe Bryan, one short loan out at Plymouth and he proved himself, came back here and now look at him. Wes is proving he can score goals, and if he continues to do so he should be given a chance just like bryan was.

Reid different as he was given a chance last season but hasn't seemed to kick on, but is however also enjoying a positive loan spell at Plymouth.

Wes is an exciting young player with tremendous potential.

Cotts. made a point of saying how impressed he was with Wes within days of taking over at AG. and I don't think for one minute he intends to discard him.

After gaining experience and confidence from this successful loan move I'll be surprised if he's not a regular on our bench in the Championship next season.

We're just doing what the top Premiership teams do in loaning out our younger players to teams in the leagues below so they get game time & improve in a competitive environment which they won't get playing in our development games,

Wes might not be ready to play Championship football for us but hopefully he'll get loaned to a mid to play off league 1 team next season to get valuable game time to build his experience up even more & will be finding the net even more than he has in league 2, I reckon within 18 months Wes will be pushing for a place on the bench & starting the odd game in the cups going on from there to become a top player for us.

The biggest problem we're going have is keeping hold our players when they show promise of becoming top Championship/Lower Premiership players, Oh & giving them the time to develop not writing them off before they've even turned 23/24 like a lot of our fans seem to do!

History shows us that loaning out our exciting younger players  invariably leads to them joining another club. Joe Bryan is the exception and not a good example of what usually happens.

I'm pleased for Wes although being top scorer with 4 goals tells me more about Cheltenham than it does about Wes. As a sub for City in L1 he really wasn't good enough and as a loanee at Oxford he wasn't good enough but if he continues scoring in a very poor side and helps Cheltenham stay in the Football League then he is likely to kick on from there. Probably best to defer judgement until the end of the season.

I wasn't having a dig,fair play to the lad,but having watched him many times at various levels he's not good enough,as tnbt said premier league teams loan them out and end up making a living at our level,so burns will prob end up at nlbr

In your opinion.

Personally I think he is.

Equally, how can you conclude that? Yes, he's fast (woopdy do), does he have a good touch and is he a good finisher though? What are you basing that on from his limited game time at ashton gate and some loan games in league 2?

I don't think it's an unreasonable view to think that he won't cut it for us in the championship. He's obviously got a future in the game. He's doing well in league 2 but not setting the world alight. Assuming we are in the championship next season, I can't see him getting much game time and can see him being loaned to league 1 which may become permanent.

Out of interest, when does his contract expire?

Archived