IGNORED

Wes Burns

Aaron-Bcfc

The difference between making it/failure at any level in professional football is minute.

Would every City fan this time last year have believed that Joe Bryan would be one of the major reasons behind this seasons performances?

The answer is no.

So let's give Wes some time to develop his game and his body strength without the pressure and maybe we will have ourselves a top quality striker.

If he does not make it, it will not be because the club has just left him to rot in our reserves.

And don't forget that there are many examples of players who suddenly come good a bit later than others. There are some good examples within our own first team squad.

So why are some trying to dismiss him now?

Equally, how can you conclude that? Yes, he's fast (woopdy do), does he have a good touch and is he a good finisher though? What are you basing that on from his limited game time at ashton gate and some loan games in league 2?

I don't think it's an unreasonable view to think that he won't cut it for us in the championship. He's obviously got a future in the game. He's doing well in league 2 but not setting the world alight. Assuming we are in the championship next season, I can't see him getting much game time and can see him being loaned to league 1 which may become permanent.

Out of interest, when does his contract expire?

My conclusion was that we don't know whether he has a future at a higher level! But that people shouldn't write it off, as he has (in my opinion) the potential.

You dismiss the fact he has pace, but we know how important that can be. From his limited appearances for us, mostly off the bench and playing wide right, he showed a good first touch and ability to beat defenders. Now he's apparently starting upfront, albeit in L2, and is scoring a few.

So I don't think any of us can conclude he WON'T make it in the Championship because he has the potential to do just that. Maybe not next season, maybe not with City. We'll see.

People saying he's only scoring against League Two teams and they can't see him playing for us in the Championship. A couple of things:

1) He can only score against the teams he's played against. It's arguable that the main reason he didn't get goals here is because he never had an extended run in the team. A striker is a striker at any level - they're confidence players who need games. Look at Matt Smith. He couldn't hit a barn door until Yeovil. Agard goes through weeks without goals. It's natural - especially for a youngster.

2) Look at Bolasie. Similar player - winger, pacey, slightly off positionally and sometimes makes a bad decision or has a shocking final product. How many times did we say exactly the same things about Bolasie and now look at him.

Wes needs a run of games, he needs the right coaching, and if he gets that, who knows. He may never cut it, he may be something special, he may just have found his level at L2 and there's nothing wrong with that. I'd kill to be in his position right now.

But people writing him off coz he's not played much for us and has "only scored goals in League Two" are unfair. He can only score against teams he plays against. Are people forgetting his strike against Chesterfield?

My conclusion was that we don't know whether he has a future at a higher level! But that people shouldn't write it off, as he has (in my opinion) the potential.

You dismiss the fact he has pace, but we know how important that can be. From his limited appearances for us, mostly off the bench and playing wide right, he showed a good first touch and ability to beat defenders. Now he's apparently starting upfront, albeit in L2, and is scoring a few.

So I don't think any of us can conclude he WON'T make it in the Championship because he has the potential to do just that. Maybe not next season, maybe not with City. We'll see.

I agree that he's a promisijg footballer and you're right that he shouldn't be written off. I'm not doing that.

I'm just thinking about the realities of football. Unless, he has a storming pre-season he is unlikely to be involved regularly for us in the championship (should we get there) imo. Therefore I expect him to probably end up in league 1. I think he'll be good at this level but our success might limit his opportunities.

People saying he's only scoring against League Two teams and they can't see him playing for us in the Championship. A couple of things:

1) He can only score against the teams he's played against. It's arguable that the main reason he didn't get goals here is because he never had an extended run in the team. A striker is a striker at any level - they're confidence players who need games. Look at Matt Smith. He couldn't hit a barn door until Yeovil. Agard goes through weeks without goals. It's natural - especially for a youngster.

2) Look at Bolasie. Similar player - winger, pacey, slightly off positionally and sometimes makes a bad decision or has a shocking final product. How many times did we say exactly the same things about Bolasie and now look at him.

Wes needs a run of games, he needs the right coaching, and if he gets that, who knows. He may never cut it, he may be something special, he may just have found his level at L2 and there's nothing wrong with that. I'd kill to be in his position right now.

But people writing him off coz he's not played much for us and has "only scored goals in League Two" are unfair. He can only score against teams he plays against. Are people forgetting his strike against Chesterfield?

Really good thread and good opinions on both side.

Just one point worth adding

Wes has not been playing striker at Cheltenham

All his starts and subsequent goals have been from right wing

Not played up top once, i have consistently said that RW is his best position.

So his goal return is that much more impressive in imo.

The only problem with that is that as things stand, there is no room for an out and out winger in this Bristol City team

I personally think that Wes has the basics to be a great player for us, but it all comes down to how he improves his positioning and makes better decisions. You wouldn't expect a 20 year old to have those things sorted yet anyway and the only person who can improve them is Wes himself. I really hope he becomes the player most of us hope he can be

Good to hear, though I can't see us playing with out and out wingers next season in the C'ship.

Would be good if he could try and learn to play wide of a front 3 as that is certainly one of the most used formations at the moment in the C'ship and above ie 4-2-3-1 or other variations of it.

I've got faith that Wes will become a good player it's all down to getting competitive game time which he's getting out on loan & next season should we go up hopefully he'll get loaned out to a league 1 team that's a mid to top table team to get experience at that level and continue to improve so he eventually becomes a decent player for us, first from the bench then regularly a starter but it's all down to him and his desire.

Based on the very little I've seen of him in a City shirt I'd be surprised if he ended up playing Championship football, you don't get the impression he's got a great footballing brain. Be happy to be proved wrong though and if he's doing the business in League Two maybe I will.

Just out of curiosity, if burns had been given the same game time as agard, how many do you think he will have scored?

It's hard to tell, agard gets his goals from being in the right position, despite having the pace to trouble he doesn't use it. Burns relies on his pace, and that may have given him more chances for shooting. However I do think that burns would have scored more because he does seem to have a real goal scoring touch shown by the 7 goals (2 for us, 4 for Cheltenham and 1 for Oxford) in I suspect far fewer minutes played.

Good to see Wes doing well at Cheltenham. He has a big few years ahead of him. From what I've seen I think he has a future with us.

i'm not sure, not at championship level anyway, still he needs a run first to prove himself like Joe has had

Archived