IGNORED

Quiet Carriage

Aizoon

I'm quite happy not to use my mobile in the "quiet" carriage. Some people like to doze on a long journey and Inverness to Plymouth is certainty that! So WTF do they allow small children in these carriages?

Or am I just a miserable old sod?

I'm quite happy not to use my mobile in the "quiet" carriage. Some people like to doze on a long journey and Inverness to Plymouth is certainty that! So WTF do they allow small children in these carriages?

Or am I just a miserable old sod?

Not in this case you're not! I 100% agree.

Night flight from Singapore to Heathrow, the crew dimmed the lights ect ect and we all tried to grab some kip. After a few mins a baby starts crying, that not only woke everyone up but encouraged other babies to start crying as well......bloody nightmare flight. I said to Mrs Robbo that airplane companies should ban babies from all night flights. She wasn't impressed......

I did feel sorry for the mothers tho.

Night flight from Singapore to Heathrow, the crew dimmed the lights ect ect and we all tried to grab some kip. After a few mins a baby starts crying, that not only woke everyone up but encouraged other babies to start crying as well......bloody nightmare flight. I said to Mrs Robbo that airplane companies should ban babies from all night flights. She wasn't impressed......

Airlines don't care, they'll just tell you to pay extra for Business/Premier Economy or whatever.

Hahaha - Have you never took your kids on holiday then?

It's very stressful for you when your nipper is screaming and won't stop - if anybody had said anything to me about it at that point I don't know what I would have done.

It's very stressful for you when your nipper is screaming and won't stop - if anybody had said anything to me about it at that point I don't know what I would have done.

We didn't take my kids on aeroplanes until they were around 8 and 9 having experienced babies screaming on flights before.

We didn't take my kids on aeroplanes until they were around 8 and 9 having experienced babies screaming on flights before.

To be fair I was only going to Cyprus when she cried - I'm not sure I could deal with the stress of going to Singapore with a small child - I also would not buy tickets in a quiet train carriage with her as she asks so many questions all the time!!!

I don't know why parents feel the need to take their babies on flights. It's ridiculous.

parents should wait until their kids are post crying age before taking them on flights/ coaches etc. "if your nipper's crying you shouldn't be flying" is my motto

Cheaper non-rugrat travel options should be available, imo (not 'First Class', but just 'Non-Kiddies').

Nothing against kids, I am one myself, and I also know the parental dilemma when it comes to children and broader civilisation.

Like sitting/standing at football, authorities should take a grip.

Being a parent is all about making sacrifices. Surely they can go without a foreign holiday for a couple of years until the baby is a bit older!

Don't see why they should. You were a baby yourself once, you just have to exercise tolerance. Teeny kids sleep 3/4 of the time anyway - and when they don't, there are earphones!

Don't see why they should. You were a baby yourself once, you just have to exercise tolerance. Teeny kids sleep 3/4 of the time anyway - and when they don't, there are earphones!

My missus found herself on a flight to Australia next to a baby that screamed the whole way, and the entertainment system was down for the first eight hours of the flight. Not really fair. But besides, I think parents should make some sacrifices. I've seen parents who carry on smoking, taking their kids to raves and whatnot. It's pretty selfish IMHO.

Here Here Mr Robbo. When me and Mrs Batman do have our nippers, we wont be taking them on long haul flights until they're old enough to know not to scream the place down.

My first long flight was to Florida when I was 7, that was a night flight back, slept the entire time. Apparently, other kids around my age were not so considerate.

My missus found herself on a flight to Australia next to a baby that screamed the whole way, and the entertainment system was down for the first eight hours of the flight. Not really fair. But besides, I think parents should make some sacrifices. I've seen parents who carry on smoking, taking their kids to raves and whatnot. It's pretty selfish IMHO.

Yeah because taking your kid on a flight and a rave are the same things???!!!

How many people commenting on this thread have kids?! Few with young'uns that's for sure.

Should someone miss out on a family event, funeral, wedding etc because they are worried their kid might annoy some jumped up arrogant prick on a flight??

Quiet carriage absolutely, take them to another carriage unless the train is full in which case QC is very rarely quiet anyway.

No of course not, but my point was that some parents think they can just carry on with their lives as they were before, regardless of whether that's good for the baby's welfare.

Carry on with life for sure. Sadly in this day and age you can't sit still and wait for your kids to grow up. Putting your children at risk clearly not.

Do you have kids yourself?

I'm afraid there are many British expats around the world who have no choice but to take their babies on long haul flights.  I don't envy them one bit but its a way of life for some people.

I travel long haul often with work and there is actually a solution.  They are expensive but the Bose noise cancelling headphones do the trick. They even cut out a lot of the plane noises.  You're welcome.

How many people commenting on this thread have kids?! Few with young'uns that's for sure.

Should someone miss out on a family event, funeral, wedding etc because they are worried their kid might annoy some jumped up arrogant ***** on a flight??

Quiet carriage absolutely, take them to another carriage unless the train is full in which case QC is very rarely quiet anyway.

Bit harsh to call someone a jumped-up, arrogant little ***** just because they want some peace and quiet on a long-haul flight. A lot of parents think the world revolves around their family, and screw anyone else's rights/comfort. I'd say that's pretty arrogant. I sympathise with people who HAVE to take babies on flights due to work/funerals or whatever, but I wouldn't take my kids on one just cos I fancied a holiday in Thailand.

Being a parent is all about making sacrifices. Surely they can go without a foreign holiday for a couple of years until the baby is a bit older!

Why should my daughter miss out on 2 weeks of sunshine, sea and swimming pools just because she might cry

Buy some ear plugs?

I've also holidayed in England and it's expensive and cold so what's the point?

Bit harsh to call someone a jumped-up, arrogant little prick just because they want some peace and quiet on a long-haul flight. A lot of parents think the world revolves around their family, and screw anyone else's rights/comfort. I'd say that's pretty arrogant. I sympathise with people who HAVE to take babies on flights due to work/funerals or whatever, but I wouldn't take my kids on one just cos I fancied a holiday in Thailand.

I can't see that you've answered my question? Do you have children yourself?

I can't remember calling anyone 'little'? I've sat next to an old women on a long haul flight who kept farting for the entire duration, I think farters should not go on long haul flights....

Jesus, it's a few hours on an aircraft. Children cry, get over it. Should having kids restrict me holiday destinations with a maximum 2 hour flight?

I'm afraid there are many British expats around the world who have no choice but to take their babies on long haul flights. I don't envy them one bit but its a way of life for some people.

I travel long haul often with work and there is actually a solution. They are expensive but the Bose noise cancelling headphones do the trick. They even cut out a lot of the plane noises. You're welcome.

I've invested in a pair of those and I will second this recommendation, they really do the job.

In my case, it wasn't babies that pushed me over the edge but having to listen to a pair of boring, suited ***** drone on about the "reorganisation of their department" all the way from Clapham Junction to Yeovil.

I was making my way back from on overnight flight and was tired and these *****s never shut their gobs for one second.

Archived