IGNORED

Cheap City Breaks

Tins

Hi All,

Me and two mates are looking at going away for a few days in early July.

Can anyone recommend any good Cities to go too, and cheap hotel's, things to do etc in these cities.

We've looked online and there are so many places we like the look of; Madrid, Amsterdam, Plzen, Munich etc.

Any recommendations? We all have a big holiday in June, so want this to just be a cheap getaway really.

Cheers in advance.

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend any good Cities to go too, and cheap hotel's, things to do etc in these cities.

We've looked online and there are so many places we like the look of; Madrid, Amsterdam, Plzen, Munich etc.

Any recommendations? We all have a big holiday in June, so want this to just be a cheap getaway really.

Cheers in advance.

Last short city break I had in Europe was Berlin:  fabulous city, lots to see and do, great food and drink, not as pricey as I expected.

Hi All,

Cheers in advance.

Barcelona is just ace. Camp Nou and the Olympic Stadium to visit along with tons of other things plus the beaches are spot on there these days and down by the sea in the summer is a great atmosphere. 

we stayed: Tryp Condal Mar Hotel

Down sides: Can be pricey in some places if you don't shop around and I know 3 or 4 different parties that have been done by pick pockets.

Depends on what you are goin for. If it's just a lads piss up then Amsterdam or Berlin is the place to go.

If you want something different, like a bit of culture then I'm in the Barcelona camp. Brilliant city, plenty to see lots to do. We've been many times usually with EasyJet and stay on or near the the Ramblas. I love it there.

In my experience anywhere with your mates is good.

Low cost airlines have made everywhere so accessible but generally if you head for a university city you'll have a good time. sometimes people are a bit friendlier off the beaten track. Places like Stockholm and Aarhus are prime examples. Couldn't afford many beers but great places.

Some places are nice to look at but maybe good venues to take a partner. Barcelona, Madrid and anywhere in Italy etc get you brownie points so maybe worth saving for a later date.

In my experience anywhere with your mates is good.

Low cost airlines have made everywhere so accessible but generally if you head for a university city you'll have a good time. sometimes people are a bit friendlier off the beaten track. Places like Stockholm and Aarhus are prime examples. Couldn't afford many beers but great places.

Some places are nice to look at but maybe good venues to take a partner. Barcelona, Madrid and anywhere in Italy etc get you brownie points so maybe worth saving for a later date.

In the middle of Aarstreet?

Not entirely nescesary to go abroad. Edinburgh is a really good place to visit and no need to get any euros!!!

+1

I love Edinburgh. Go there every December with Mrs Batman. However, Foo Fighters are playing at Murrayfield on my 30th Birthday this year, so it will be strange going when it will be warmer and without all the Christmas decorations around.

This will also be the first time we are flying. I have always driven as the scenery on the Edinburgh scenic route is phenomenal, but the M6 does drag on a bit and when it snows, one mistake and you're down the mountain. Plus when you fly, it's only just over an hour.

BARCELONA. That is all

Seriously though, if you can wait until September, go for La Merce festival- it's a giant 5 day festival, loads of music, drinking in the streets, the 'correfoq'- one of my favourite things in the world

Barca can be quite expensive, but if you do your research it can be great value. The Metro is excellent value and really efficient so it's easy to get about so as long as you don't stay too far out (some of the underground lines take over an hour to go from 2 end to the other as they turn into 'overground' services) you can get to the Barri Gotic, Born, Sant Pere, etc. really easily. Plus, as has been said, there are beaches in the City

Right, I'm off to book some flights now!

Thanks for all the recommendations, I knew I could rely on fellow reds. 

I'm weighing up different flights, hotels etc today.

We had a crazy thought of New York trip last night, but then decided we'd rather do that for longer than a week, so may postpone til next year.

+1

I love Edinburgh. Go there every December with Mrs Batman. However, Foo Fighters are playing at Murrayfield on my 30th Birthday this year, so it will be strange going when it will be warmer and without all the Christmas decorations around.

This will also be the first time we are flying. I have always driven as the scenery on the Edinburgh scenic route is phenomenal, but the M6 does drag on a bit and when it snows, one mistake and you're down the mountain. Plus when you fly, it's only just over an hour.

you could always fly to Newcastle and drive from there. Best of both worlds then

I can't recommend Bruges enough, if you're willing to drive. It's less than an hour's drive from Calais. Absolutely beautiful. Thinking about it you could always Eurostar or fly to Brussels and then onward travel to Bruges.

Bruges is fantastic and beautiful but it depends what sort of holiday you're after, as it's very chilled and relatively boring on the nights.

Krakow on the other hand, is absolutely amazing. Could happily live there and the nightlife is ****ing amazing.

Barcelona is one of the best cities in the world, a must see. I went there for my first ever abroad trip and for flights, hotel for 5 nights, luggage, metro, food, beer, tourism the LOT cost no more than 500 euros (for two of us). The beer is so cheap, the market in rambla is excellent and if you shop in the residential areas just outside the city centre you can grab some real bargains! I will never beat the price I got, it was a combination of cheap flight deals and a couple of weeks later a travelodge sale, but for a cheap but amazing trip it has to be right up there with the best

A couple of alternative suggestions.

The first is Reykjavik. I loved Iceland - plenty to do (the Blue Lagoon is surreal), excellent nightlife in the centre of town, and in July it will only get dark for about 3 or 4 hours at night. I was (coincidentally) there the weekend David James made his debut in the Icelandic league - and that same evening I bumped into him and Herman Hreidarsson in a bar. He told me some interesting things from the Millen and McInnes eras - but that's probably for another thread!

One other place I would recommend is Tel Aviv. I went in 07 for the England game and then three times in 08 with work. Great beaches, fantastic nightlife and really friendly locals - plus the possibility of easy day trips to the Dead Sea or Jerusalem. And it will be scorchio in July.

I believe Easyjet recently started flying to Reykjavik from Bristol, and they also go to Tel Aviv from a couple of the London airports.

+1

It was thanks to you in this thread that we went at the end Jan and had a splendid time!

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/165755-weekend-away-ideas-please/

Archived