IGNORED

He's Having A Laugh.

BCFC Jordan

What amazes me, is the fact everyone blames the managers we've had for our past failings.

Not everyone, I don't. I was probably one of DMc's biggest advocates and would've given him more time. Last night I posted in the Lansdown shows em the door thread that imo Cotts should lead us in to the 2016/17 season even if we are relegated.

Has it never occurred to anyone, that regardless of managers who have done well at other clubs, that they didn't succeed with us.

No, because no two jobs are ever the same or even remotely the same in football. Apples and pears and all that.

It was one mistake after another.

The one constant was the board and owner.

And a very significant portion of the playing staff but for last season. Another constant was green grass. Maybe that is to blame...

They imho...have taken a step back and realised where they have been going wrong.

I'd be inclined to agree. It's far too soon to say with any conviction, but initial progress has been good. But I will just throw this amongst the mix for thought: taking aside how Cotts has performed in his role, does anything about that appointment fill me with confidence that the board underwent a thorough process. The honest answer is (sorry) no. If we head back to when SOD was sacked and SC appointed we were told there was going to be a long process to ensure that the right man is brought in, thorough due diligence, no knee-jerk response etc. A couple of days later we were presented SC on a 3.5 year deal with little evidence of this thorough club-wide and manager-wide due diligence. Plus we'd just handed out a long term contract. It is no wonder that many were incredulous.

So, Cotts' appointment: a sign of progress at boardroom level, a sign that they identified the right man and appointed the right man, or did the board stumble upon the right man at the right time. I suppose, changes in board composition aside, we will not know the answer until the board make what another 2 or 3 appointments...

A lot has gone on at our club since SoD's appointment...good things.

There is little merit in you and I debating the good, bad and ugly aspects of SODs appointment and whether overall he was a success. You have your opinion, I have mine and they are polar opposites. We aren't going to convince each other otherwise so wasted efforts on both parts.

SC has benefited from them immensely. Don't get me wrong...he's done amazingly well...more so than anyone could have predicted...but he wouldn't have been able to be so successful without a lot of change before hand.

Objection - speculation.

If anyone thinks SoD is a spent force...check the England U19's records since he took over.

I'm well aware of it. 4 wins in 4 isn't it? Sounds good, but when you name drop opposition like Luxembourg and Belarus I think we should err on the side of caution as to whether this is some form of midas touch. It's still far too early to compare apples and pears.

It's easy to blame managers for us being relegated to League 1 again...but it was bound to happen because of our set up and how the Club was run before.

Fine, but what you do not mention is the manner in which we were relegated. The most toothless, pathetic and pointless battle against the drop.

It's good to hear SL say in the past of the mistakes he's made...and that he and the board are changing things.

I also heard him say of AV "mark my words that stadium will be built". Actions speak louder than words. FWIW I do actually believe what we are being fed, but again we can only really judge this and whether the board are better equipped/better experienced with the power of hindsight.

It needed certain managers to be here, to eventually realise that.

Objection - speculation. If I may speculate myself I think dropping to League One with the realisation how much he had spent was enough for SL to realise changes were needed. Indeed I think he actually realised that much sooner, the reaction for me initially was one of withdraw - he seemed to lose passion - but post relegation he's dusted down put what he beleives to be the right team together and has a new vigour.

Just out of interest 29AR, regarding the England U19s setup and name drop Luxembourg and Belarus.. why dont you name drop Belgium and Italy instead ;)

I had nothing against SOD, it didnt work out for him here but I agree with you about McInnes and he shouldve been given more time.

While results were poor under SOD, sometimes I get the feeling people had knives sharpened after the interview he gave regarding the Gas game.. Seemed to cause a major uproar both on here and other social media, results seemed to make things worse.

If you ever get the chance to speak to SL or Cotts...ask them whether they think the Club has learnt from their experiences and been able to progress.

But i'm happy to disagree with your views...perhaps I have an unfair advantage.

I expect Lansdown, if he were being brutally frank, would reply "never employ mentally troubled managers with ongoing background issues".

I know that's not the line you got from Coppell himself, but he's hardly going to confess all to you, is he?

Just out of interest 29AR, regarding the England U19s setup and name drop Luxembourg and Belarus.. why dont you name drop Belgium and Italy instead ;)

I had nothing against SOD, it didnt work out for him here but I agree with you about McInnes and he shouldve been given more time.

While results were poor under SOD, sometimes I get the feeling people had knives sharpened after the interview he gave regarding the Gas game.. Seemed to cause a major uproar both on here and other social media, results seemed to make things worse.

Because the point that I was making was yes he has done well [i mentioned 4 wins in 4 - the 100% record] but lets not get ahead of ourselves and highlight his performance as an example of his brilliance because at least two of these games may be considered a gimme. The point wasn't to belittle the achievements or his record - indeed I said err on the side of caution - the point was merely its a bit too soon to start highlighting it like the second coming.

I will happily admit I have no idea if Lux, Belarus, Italy or Belgium are any good at under 19 level. I make a sweeping assumption that Lux and Belarus are most likely crap, Belgium I couldn't even make a reasonable guess (they have a golden gneeration in the first team now, but their youth may be reverting to type - I don't know). As for Italy I assume that they are a challenging side - but equally I don't know.

I would suspect that it would take a brave owner to employ Coppell, too long out of the game and far too much baggage.

DMC might have earned himself a reprieve had it not taken him so long to realise that the he was being far to loyal to serial losers within the squad, the penny dropped at the cup defeat at Blackburn about 2/3 months too late.

As for SOD for whatever reason his coaching methods were just not reaping the necessary rewards and the stats told us that we were not creating enough chances either.

I love the SC 'reaping the rewards' quotes as if it just all fell into his lap, most of the players seem to have improved under him and his recruitment virtually peerless, the squad seems to have a smile on it's face again, he seems to have  uncomplicated things and he is popular with the players but despite the ITK's and FIFA managers telling us that his appointment was going to lead to armageddon and the signing of Wilbraham was an awful signing and the way the transfer came about was amateurish, he has managed to get us into the position that we find ourselves in.

Coppell is yesterdays man.

Archived