IGNORED

He's Having A Laugh.

BCFC Jordan

It sounds like he wanted to come in and basically do what he wanted and answer to nobody. That's fine once the Chairman knows you and trusts you but you cannot expect that relationship to be instant, like everything, it has to be earned.

Didn't Coppell have other commitments, helping his son move etc so wasnt involved in preseason stuff or see us play? Maybe Steve Lansdown became aware of this and questioned his commitment to the club at such a crucial time. I think the relationship was soured and became irreparable around this time. Coppell would say it was interfering, Lansdown I expect would argue it was looking after his and the clubs best interest.

It sounds like he wanted to come in and basically do what he wanted and answer to nobody. That's fine once the Chairman knows you and trusts you but you cannot expect that relationship to be instant, like everything, it has to be earned.

Didn't Coppell have other commitments, helping his son move etc so wasnt involved in preseason stuff or see us play? Maybe Steve Lansdown became aware of this and questioned his commitment to the club at such a crucial time. I think the relationship was soured and became irreparable around this time. Coppell would say it was interfering, Lansdown I expect would argue it was looking after his and the clubs best interest.

His son's moving day was after he signed but before he took up the position. And he was spotted at Brentford. :-\

His way was to sign a pre-employment contract with us and not take the opportunity to head to training and learn about players at the tail end of the season, not than take in some other games, not do some scouting, rather than all of that he thought sod it I'll give myself a month in Thailand to get my end away and settle down to work just in time for the world cup when there's f all to do.

SL should have known then that it wasn't going to work.

The man, imo, deserves all of the stick that he gets on here. He treated this club with complete contempt.

I'm not going to indulge in the conversation on here, but that is far from the case.

I've spoken to the man personally.

There was a lot going on at this Club around that time that wasn't right.

Much has been learnt from those days...if anything, the employment of Coppell and SoD have both had positive affects on the Club.

Not on the pitch so much...but it has made the owner and board re evaluate, and set things up in a proper manner, and not just rely on SL's money and 'influence' to buy us out of trouble.

Much was wrong at City...it's improved and improving. Certain personnel moving on especially.

Do you never wonder why hardly anything was mentioned by the board or SL at the time of of SC's departure and why Millen was made manager so quick?

It is a part of the Clubs history that won't get spoken about in public as it reflects badly.

Thankfully...things have moved in the right direction now.

But for all the grief Coppell and SoD get...if it wasn't for them...this Club would never have got the wake up call it needed.

Some had big ego's and dreams...sometimes it needs that kick into reality, that money on it's own can't buy you success.

i'm sorry mate it's a very long time since he was a good manager, in fact he has been dining out on his early successes from years ago ever since.

Maybe...personally I think he's a better Director of football, and would be more 'successful' abroad in a different environment to how UK clubs are run.

i'm sorry mate it's a very long time since he was a good manager, in fact he has been dining out on his early successes from years ago ever since.

Slightly off tangent but this reminds me of my English teacher when I was at school. The school (an ordinary Secondary school) couldn't believe their luck when a vastly experienced English Literature teacher applied for a post there, she had once been a highly thought of teacher at Oxford University and now in the later stages of her career. She was given the job instantly on qualifications alone.

It soon became apparent she had so many problems she was a liability. Her husband had died and she had experienced breakdown after breakdown, she spent lessons gazing out of the window in her own tragic world, or being as high as a kite on tranquillisers and frequently taking gin in the book cupboard!

Past glories aren't everything!

Much has been learnt from those days...if anything, the employment of Coppell and SoD have both had positive affects on the Club.

But for all the grief Coppell and SoD get...if it wasn't for them...this Club would never have got the wake up call it needed.

And I think that heralds an agreement to strongly disagree with each other :)

And I think that heralds an agreement to strongly disagree with each other :)

If you ever get the chance to speak to SL or Cotts...ask them whether they think the Club has learnt from their experiences and been able to progress.

But i'm happy to disagree with your views...perhaps I have an unfair advantage.

If you ever get the chance to speak to SL or Cotts...ask them whether they think the Club has learnt from their experiences and been able to progress.

But i'm happy to disagree with your views...perhaps I have an unfair advantage.

Don't worry about possibly possessing an unfair advantage, my view is perfectly qualified :)

I'm with Spud all the way on that one. Was awful at the time, but it looks like lessons have been learned

There are ways of delivering lessons and ways of delivering guidance/tuition whatever you want to call it. I suppose the point I'm getting at is we didn't need Steve Coppell to tell us what a mess we were in offering large, high wage contracts by compounding it by being a party to further deals. Just because we may or may not have turned a corner, learnt some lessons, doesn't mean the journey was the best one to take or even the most appropriate one.

But did he? Maybe it was only when he actually started the job that the penny dropped.

He could've started sooner, maybe he'd have cleared off before we had to endure his reign.

Don't worry about possibly possessing an unfair advantage, my view is perfectly qualified :)

There are ways of delivering lessons and ways of delivering guidance/tuition whatever you want to call it. I suppose the point I'm getting at is we didn't need Steve Coppell to tell us what a mess we were in offering large, high wage contracts by compounding it by being a party to further deals. Just because we may or may not have turned a corner, learnt some lessons, doesn't meat n the journey was the best one to take or even the most appropriate one.

I was in, what I presume was a minority, that relegation wasn't the end of the world when it happened

We had to lose those big money contracts that had strangled the finances, the fact that relegation came as most of the contracts ended was a bonus. We could start afresh and go a different way. You're right, Coppell didn't need to tell us that, the fans knew it, so I guess (and hope) that SL and the board could see it. SL has alluded that he won't 'fall in love' (I think that was the phrase he used) with the players again. Thank God for that. If they want to much money, off they go. I wouldn't think that Swansea, Burnley & Blackpool over paid to get to the Prem, no reason why City can't

Coppell was awful, but short lived. Millen never really put his stamp on the team. DMac I just felt sorry for, he walked into a cluster****. SOD was a happy chap, who clearly loved his work (your sarcasm detectors should be going off now) who didn't seem to have plan A, let alone B - but he did leave us with a couple of useful signings who have played a big part in this season's turnaround. If you can't learn from 4 pretty rotten appts on the spin then you're not doing your job properly. Lessons have been learned (or is it learnt?), lessons had to be learned. Imagine if SL had stuck with SOD for two more months, what if Cotterill hadn't worked out - imagine where we could be right now? Doesn't bear thinking about

Suggesting Coppell was good for the club is positive spin to the extreme. It's like being philosophical, after a disaster. "I'm glad I developed diabetes, now I moderate my sugar intake. Thank you diabetes".

One could suggest that keeping a distance might have been a good lesson learned from suffering the Wilson/Tinnion turnover.

There are also comparisons between the Marcus Stewart/Bridges and David James signings.

Still, the finest metals need intense heating in order to be sculptured into shape.

We have learned lessons the hard way!

The difference between Coppell and SO'D was that one actually wanted to improve the club from within whilst the other just plainly wasn't interested and wasted exorbitant amounts of money on players that were nowhere near the expected level. Comparisons between the two are unfair, in my opinion.

I'm confused. What is a "fanny merchant"?. Is it someone that doesn't prefer the company of transexuals?

:dunno:

If I may, I don't know what you heard about me

But a bitch can't get a dollar outta me

No Cadillac, no perms, you can't see

That I'm a mother####ing P.I.M.P.

What amazes me, is the fact everyone blames the managers we've had for our past failings.

Has it never occurred to anyone, that regardless of managers who have done well at other clubs, that they didn't succeed with us.

It was one mistake after another.

The one constant was the board and owner.

They imho...have taken a step back and realised where they have been going wrong.

A lot has gone on at our club since SoD's appointment...good things.

SC has benefited from them immensely. Don't get me wrong...he's done amazingly well...more so than anyone could have predicted...but he wouldn't have been able to be so successful without a lot of change before hand.

If anyone thinks SoD is a spent force...check the England U19's records since he took over.

It's easy to blame managers for us being relegated to League 1 again...but it was bound to happen because of our set up and how the Club was run before.

It's good to hear SL say in the past of the mistakes he's made...and that he and the board are changing things.

It needed certain managers to be here, to eventually realise that.

Agree but I feel positive things were happening behind the scenes with Del Boy, SOD kept it going and SC is reaping the benefits by improving things further

Archived