IGNORED

Small Squad

Linkedarm wall

Cotts said after the game that Fielding pretty much didn't  clean the bloke out for the second goal because, 'he knows we haven't got anybody else ... 'we need him' ....' I thought it was good goal keeping'   Interesting thoughts which may all be true of course. begs a couple of questions, why haven't we a No 2 keeper which could come in, because Cotts be his own omission doesn't think Richards could do a job. Also, I hope this really isn't in the back of Fielding's mind because it could affect his performances in the run in.

He's certainly taken a couple of risks in not getting back up for Fielding or replacing Matt Smith. In the case of the latter it's a good job we have defenders and midfielders chipping in.

In fact our last 4 goals have come from defenders (x3) and a midfielder.

Very true and talking of replacing Matt Smith, Agard is getting plenty of stick think that is deflecting from Wilbs performances at the moment also. I look at the table everytime I have such thoughts!!!!

Love the philosophy of having a small squad. It's so much better and reduces the risk of building updead wood. A small squad with high qualoty and supplemented by loans is definitely the way forward.

Having said that, we've been lucky that Frankie hasn't got injured at all. At the same time, i'm sure Cotts has had one or two loans ready to go should that happen. Either way, if we're in the championship next season, we'll definitely need a suitable back-up keeper and preferably one that's good enough to the challenge Frankie for number one spot.

This doesn't make much sense to me. Fielding should always be trying to not get sent off, surely. Regardless of whether there's a decent keeper on the bench or not.

I've always felt that you only need 1 number 1, you can only play one after all. I wouldn't be totally against bringing another GK in next season though.

Agree with posters above that we have, unlike in other seasons, sailed very close to the wind by running with such small numbers all year and personally I'd have got someone else in when Matt Smith went back, plus borrowed a keeper with some league experience to cover Frankie.

The converse of this argument of course is that our current 2 loan signings (Saville and Tavernier) have barely played since they joined us and we haven't had as successful a season as this for very many years.

Not at all sure whether we could recall any of the 4 currently out on loan if required, I do hope so because if not we'd struggle to even have a full subs bench if we picked up an injury or two now.

Agree with posters above that we have, unlikely in other seasons, sailed very close to the wind by running with such small numbers all year and personally I'd have got someone else in when Matt Smith went back, plus borrowed a keeper with some league experience to cover Frankie.

The converse of this argument of course is that our current 2 loan signings (Saville and Tavernier) have barely played since they joined us and we haven't had as successful a season as this for very many years.

Not at all sure whether we could recall any of the 4 currently out on loan if required, I do hope so because if not we'd struggle to even have a fully subs bench if we picked up an injury or two now.

Think it's all been very well calculated by Cotts. As far as I'm aware we can recall all of our loan players apart from maybe El-Abd. As I mentioned earlier, Cotts and Burt clearly have a keeper or two on their loan list ready to sign should Frankie get injured and have probably already discussed this with other clubs.

I don't see it as odd at all, he was telling the truth, his problem is thus how many quality 2nd string goalkeepers would want to become 2nd string here? (because that is what would happen) if Fielding becomes injured or suspended, he can bring in an emergency loan, who would automatically become 1st choice for that period, therefore opening up the choice of a better quality loan IMO.

The small squad must help the tight knit feeling amongst the lads. Everyone that is still here has got some game time especially during the cup runs and reduces dissension. We haven't spent more money than anyone else, just spent it more wisely, watching player 41 coming for Barnsley on Saturday confirmed that for me.

The small squad must help the tight knit feeling amongst the lads. Everyone that is still here has got some game time especially during the cup runs and reduces dissension. We haven't spent more money than anyone else, just spent it more wisely, watching player 41 coming for Barnsley on Saturday confirmed that for me.

Absolutely agree, it's about that sense of togetherness and feeling a part of what's going and contributing even if you're not first choice. I think the only players that might not be feeling that are Osbourne, El-Abd and Wagstaff but all seem pretty positive anyway.

One thing I think Cotts has done really well this season is getting players out on loan that aren't featuring. The loans for developing players like Burns and Reid seem really positive and it's much better for Osbourne and El-Abd to be playing elsewhere than stuck in the under-21s. It's not something we've been massively good at in previous years and always had a number of players regularly not getting on the bench or featuring in any way.

Archived