IGNORED

Bizarre Goal Kick Rountine

Chivs

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere but I can't recall seeing it.

What were Swindon up to with the goal kick routine?

Knock it short to a fullback who is effectively marked by one of our forwards?!?  This happened time and again.

It seemed bizarre especially when we effectively capitalized from one such situation.

I wonder if the tacticians on here could explain the approach.

On a related note, Wilbs got a good talking to from the ref (frankly I was surprised he noticed) for encroaching on the penalty box during a goal kick.  All well and good but are the kicking team players allowed in the box during a goal kick?  It seems odd that a defender could sprint across the box whilst the marking forward has to run around the edge. 

They have a theory about creating a 2 v 1 and getting Foderingham or the full back in good possession (it's normally that idiot Nathan Thompson) giving them footballing options rather than kick a dead ball

It's brave, not sure it's worth the risk tbh

I understand it's played it's part in their 'success' this year, but agree the other night became bizarre !

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere but I can't recall seeing it.

What were Swindon up to with the goal kick routine?

Knock it short to a fullback who is effectively marked by one of our forwards?!?  This happened time and again.

It seemed bizarre especially when we effectively capitalized from one such situation.

I wonder if the tacticians on here could explain the approach.

On a related note, Wilbs got a good talking to from the ref (frankly I was surprised he noticed) for encroaching on the penalty box during a goal kick.  All well and good but are the kicking team players allowed in the box during a goal kick?  It seems odd that a defender could sprint across the box whilst the marking forward has to run around the edge. 

Yes, they are allowed in, but the ball must leave the area before they can touch it.

Swindon want teams to come on to them,by playing the ball out from the back they are hoping teams will push up on then.

That's why MK and City both sat in and beat them 3-0, basically!

Well explained Portland - yep - they back themselves to play through sides

Lovely purist football in theory

For all those lording Cooper - we play lovely football at times but we also mix it up and are happy to adapt to different games a bit more and hence , in my opinion been more consistent and effective in terms of results / points

Well explained Portland - yep - they back themselves to play through sides

Lovely purist football in theory

For all those lording Cooper - we play lovely football at times but we also mix it up and are happy to adapt to different games a bit more and hence , in my opinion been more consistent and effective in terms of results / points

It's not just your opinion, mate, the league table shows this.

I think it's just attention seeking and they proved they're not got enough to do it consistently against decent sides.

The funny thing was the keeper often ended up kicking it forward anyway. Again, just trying to make a name for themselves when really they have a team full of other clubs players.

They overplayed the whole game, sometimes the balls just got to go. But nope they kept overplaying. Would hate for us to play like they did, especially all the risks they took.

We almost did in the 2nd half!

I wasn't actually that impressed with Swindons passing play. Apart from the midfield 3, there were distinctly average. A couple of nice passed, flicks or touches but no cutting edge until Gladwin got the ball and managed to pop off a shot from 20 yards.

I thought as a team we passed the ball around much better with focus and an attempt to go forward. They seemed intent to play it around at the back and move slowly forward.

Archived