IGNORED

Richie Benaud (Merged)

The Gasbuster

In the 1970s I recall many school summer holiday days following the test match and when Richie came to the microphone and said 'morning viewers' his voice was so warm, authoritative and knowledgeable that one instantly knew one was in the presence of a special person and instinctively I joined with my late father in saying 'morning Richie', in response.

He was the consummate professional in the commentary box and there were times I ached for bad weather to intervene and not just to save England from a hammering, so he could charm us viewers with another nugget of a story or a clever observation from his seemingly inexhaustible mine of anecdotes and opinions. He was that good.

I agree with others on here that this should be on the football chat forum. Richie Benaud might not be a name that means much to the under 30s, but for anyone between 30-107 he is a giant of sport and sports broadcasting. Whoever moved it obviously doesn't realise that, to excuse the pun, Richie Benaud transcends boundaries and it would be fitting if the moderators transcended their own boundaries here and moved this back to the football chat section.

Mourning Richie.

• Admin

I agree with others on here that this should be on the football chat forum. Richie Benaud might not be a name that means much to the under 30s, but for anyone between 30-107 he is a giant of sport and sports broadcasting. Whoever moved it obviously doesn't realise that, to excuse the pun, Richie Benaud transcends boundaries and it would be fitting if the moderators transcended their own boundaries here and moved this back to the football chat section.

It wasn't moved as such it was merged with a thread that was already open in this section.

No offence, RB was Mr Cricket, that's why this thread is in the NON footy section

For us older fans we grew up with those lovely Aussie tones doing his commentaries. Again we have been robbed of a legend but have been priviliged to benefit from his vast cricketing knowledge. RIP Richie as you join those great cricketers who have gone before you. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Archived