IGNORED

Richie Benaud (Merged)

The Gasbuster

I was only mentioning his name in the last 'Official Match Day' thread i did for the Oldham game... what an awful coincidence.

I loved the guys voice.. I loved it and I loved it probably to excess.. did I say already that I loved his voice?.. what a superb commentator and you could be utterly disinterested in the 'boring' game of test match cricket on a sleepy sunday and then hear his beautifully eloquent tone and immediately be interested... that takes immense skill.

What a tragic loss to mankind and the game of cricket.

Ohh.. what a beautiful deliveryyyy that wasss ... I will never ever forget that line from Mr. Richie Benaud.. what a master voice.

An exception MUST be made to keep Richie in this Football related forum... his name is already associated with my Oldham thread and this is the connection.. plus he loved football.. well.. who knows but i have said it.. and i also heard there is a rumour he was a City fan.. well I started it so there.. must be something in it.

errr... Discuss...

Having seen Channel 9 carry out some interviews with him this summer it was all too apparent poor old Richie was not well. He had lived a full wonderful life though - he didn't see a winter in 40 years!

The word legend is thrown around too easily these days, but that man was. A hero on both sides of the world.

RIP

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2015/04/10/1227298/292887-5ab19fe0-df1c-11e4-8c35-8b3a57800124.jpg

Just heard - very sad I was thinking how much we will miss him and the reasons and Havantopia posted

'I loved the guys voice.. I loved it and I loved it probably to excess.. did I say already that I loved his voice?.. what a superb commentator and you could be utterly disinterested in the 'boring' game of test match cricket on a sleepy sunday and then hear his beautifully eloquent tone and immediately be interested... that takes immense skill.'

Summed it up beautifully.......

RIP Richie - a massive 'sporting icon' through my life

Summer in Australia will never be quite the same again.

As I said on the other thread, he's been terribly unwell for a while now. It was very sad to see him fade away.

What a lovely and moving piece. His voice made my eyes water.

Like many other cricket fans I've been listening to him for as long as I can remember. I'm sure we'll all miss his sharp observations and dry humour. A sad day.

Having seen Channel 9 carry out some interviews with him this summer it was all too apparent poor old Richie was not well. He had lived a full wonderful life though - he didn't see a winter in 40 years!

The word legend is thrown around too easily these days, but that man was. A hero on both sides of the world.

RIP

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2015/04/10/1227298/292887-5ab19fe0-df1c-11e4-8c35-8b3a57800124.jpg

Sachin Tendulkar released a statement via his facebook saying that he last saw Richie late last year and it was obvious he was not well, but he was still full of enthusiasm. 

Very sad to hear of his loss. Reminds me of the day Bill McLaren was taken from us. Another sporting commentator who is irreplaceable in their respective sport.

An absolute legend, sorry to hear the news overnight, whilst I was cleaning up puke from my daughters bedroom floor!

It's a voice all of us remember from our childhoods, the old BBC music and 'morning everyone'

It says a lot the Aussie PM has offered a state funeral, if he's a legend here imagine what he is in Australia

As promised, more on Richie Benaud. I am (just) old enough to remember him as a player. One of the last of the old generation of leg-spinners, a trade revived by his countryman Shane Warne and by Abdul Quadir. A more than competent batsman and a wily and sportsmanlike captain. He will always be remembered for the "tied Test" series against the West Indies in 1960, when he and Frank Worrell captained perhaps the most exciting test series ever.

A commentator of the highest order who never used an unnecessary word, but always maintained the spirit of cricket. It was Benaud who condemned the cheating by his countrymen when they bowled the last ball of an ODI underarm to prevent NZ scoring the six they needed to win.

He went on working when he was seriously ill and could barely stand, and died in harness. RIP, Richie, we'll miss you.

:clapping:

Archived