IGNORED

Player Ratings Today

Murraysrightplum

Fielding 5 - looked nervy under a few crosses and hesitant a few times could have cost us

Tavernier 6 - poor first half but better in the second. We miss Little

Ayling 6 - sometimes sublime sometimes clumsy

Flint 8 - a rock, always in the right place at the right time and did brilliantly for the goal

Williams 6 - a few good ventures forward but lumps it aimlessly at times

Bryan 7 - did well defensively and looked a threat second half. Could've done better with a couple of crosses

Smith 7 - put himself about and neat and tidy

Pack 4 - I thought he was poor. Looked nervy and didn't dictate play at all

Freeman 7 - looked the most likely to create as always but nothing really came off for him. May be a bit tired/injured?

Wilbs - 6 got the goal and worked hard but not a lot else

Agard -7 I thought he had a good game. The ball stuck to him and held it up well. A couple of good chances as well

Just my view of the game

4 ???  Pack sat in front of the back 4 and mopped up really well , did a Elliot type job of being available and keeping the ball moving. Overall one of the best on the pitch today. Pack does a lot of the ugly stuff without getting plaudits, where as you give JB a 7 when although he had a pretty good game he wasted  or 4 threatening positions. It's all about opinions and one of the reasons I enjoy chatting about a game after.

Tight match which we shaded overall particularly 2nd half.

All about opinions but thought fielding did fine but never had that much to do. Probably a 7

Agard had a couple of opportunities but had a normal agard performance 6 at best.

Pack did ok probably a 6.

I thought jet came on and looked dangerous and generally seems to make us more likely to score.

Like he did on, Tuesday when he let the Swindon forward in, Flint made a potentially fatal mistake a couple of minutes from the end, weak finish saved the day. Flint looked really dangerous from set pieces and could have had a couple and laid on the winner. 8 down from 9 due to late mistake.

Bryan was into the penalty area 4 times in 2nd half and on each occasion failed to deliver. Disappointing for me 5.5 at best.

Tavernier is never a wing back. Very little threat 5.

Corey, ayling, Williams, wilbs, freeman all very steady 7's

I would say from my point of view this is closer. But still think Pack did better than OK. I thought Tav looked good in the second half..

Seems harsh to say given the season he has had but Flint seems the be making a single big mistake a game for the last few. Keeps us on our toes I guess!

Two bad errors in two games , that must take his total for the season to ...... uuummm 2 !   :yes:

Agree, I was surprised Agard came off. Frankie didn't cost us today but could have done, especially that one he put out for a corner when he hesitated coming out to clear.

To be fair they put some good crosses into difficult areas , FF didn't have much to do but I though he did it well.

While I was pleased with a point I thought it was a brilliant team effort, never really in trouble and had the better of the chances. Glad we got the goal back quickly so we didn't have to chase it.  The one annoying thing was the Ref's on real error was not spotting the Garner elbow , again.

Fielding - 6 some absolute howlers today, like the FF of old. He's just not big enough.

Tavernier - 7, great defensively but not a wing back

Ayling - 8 brought the ball out of defence brilliantly and defended well, looked class at times.

Flint - 7.5, colossus until the final minute where his suicide ball nearly gifted them a goal.

Williams - 7, looked comfortable.

Bryan - 6, got in some great some positions but lacked end product, which is a rarierty, if his crossing was better I'm convinced we'd have scored more.

Pack - 5- just really don't think he's the answer, a position that'll 100% need strengthening.

Smith - 8- just oozes quality, breaks up play so well and keeps things moving constantly.

Freeman 8- at times he looked like he had an extra second on the ball (like Ayling), PNE did a good job on him though.

Agard - 6, first touch still not there, to survive and prosper in the championship we will need some extra quality upfront, I watched for all the closing down and running around that he does, evaded me first half, second half seemed to fade.

Wilbraham - 7.5 tries his heart out and wins balls that his strike partner isn't anticipating/gambling on in the way Lita used to. Ran himself into the ground and battered their defence literally!

Interesting how people see things differently - beauty of the game

Have to say I thought Pack struggled today 3 or 4 of Prestons moments came from him giving the ball away and his lack of pace , especially in first 5 yards finds him out at times if I'm honest

Looking at the game today and thinking towards next season, looking like its gonna be CCC I just don't see him as having enough but I hope he proves me wrong

I actually thought Ayling was really good today - covered on a number of occasions and brought the ball out from the back as normal with real tempo and I thought Unsettled Preston

Luke Freeman I didn't think would make half time or reappear - when he took the free kick o/s box 10 mins or so before half time he did something to his hip and wasn't moving well at al and holding his hip - I feared he was going off and we'd miss him on the run in

Did reappear but I do wonder how much the injury effected him - fair play he didn't have his most influential game but as always with our players not quite on key played his part and worked hard

Thought we definitely weren't at our flowing beat today - as others have said stuttering first half and got better and better as the game went on

They actually scored just as we'd had a fair few mins of dominance and chances but once we bit back there was only one team that looked like winning it.

Despite being below our best I thought if I'm honest a better side than the current Preston one by a fair bit

Definitely felt as we left that I would have more concerns about their squad in CCC than ours

But then football doesn't always work out that way

In an important game such as this I actually looked us, not quite fully firing and thought 'Yep we really are a very good side at this level' with a real warm glow - we normally don't perform in these games and below par or not I really felt confident we'd get something out the game throughout which as a glass half empty normally is not a normal feeling !!!

Well done Cotts and the team, and to all who made the haul up - thought the support today was great

Mopped up a few times, it was just going forward he made awful decisions, still OK defensively though IMHO

Agree with this. His final ball was poor but apart from this I thought he was very good. He is fantastic in the air for a smaller lad. Of all our players I think it is Bryan that is most likely to attract an offer from a bigger club this summer.

Thought Ayling stood out today, extremely classy player and a real character, we are vet lucky to have him. Flint solid as ever, Korey kept the ball moving well. Agard worked tirelessly and Wilbraham put in a real shift for the team. They were my top 5 performers, but Ayling in my opinion was brilliant!

Out of interest; Have we lost any games in which Tavernier has played?

Realise they'll not have been many (either that he's played or we've lost) but just dawned on me that he's started two games against other promotion chasing teams this week and we've got 4 points.

Not suggesting this is BECAUSE of him, of course, just was interested.

From A Preston Perspective:

Fielding: 5- too short to be a keeper, especially against sides that like to get into the box often.

Ailing: 7- good player, but you can telly he used to be a right back, drove forward well and always offering.

Flint: 5- don't see much with him really, for someone 6 foot 5 he should be winning everything in the air, but Garner and Beckford caused him a few issues. Bit of a donkey as well. Nearly lost you the game right at the end

Williams: 4- shit really, every time the ball went over his head we knew there was a chance because he either gave it away or didn't get there, very poor for me.

Pack: 7- despite not getting much of the ball, did an excellent job of stifling our creative players, stopped us playing

Smith: 7- same as above, but offered more coming forward.

Tavernier: 6- decent, not as good as when he was a rotherham player but still pacy and dangerous.

Bryan: 6- did well down the left a few times but thought our rwb Humphrey marshalled him very well.

Freeman: 7- clearly dangerous, but not his best game, a bit quiet

Wilbraham: 7.5- surprisingly poor hold up play, but generally excellent attacking runs causing no end of issue, took his goal well.

Agard: 7- fast, hard working, nearly scored (despite cotterill's insistence it was going in, sat in line with it and going wide) and caused a few of our players some issues.

All in all good game, which you just edged, but certainly not to the 3 goals that your manager believes

we didn't play that well but still were the better side, changes (rests more to the point) needed at Bradford.

Bryan - poor in some excellent positions

Williams - Average

Flint - Massive, aside from that ricket in the 92nd min

Ayling - Average

Tavernier - Much better in the second half

Smith - solid

Pack - poor

Agard - decent, held the ball up well

Wilbs - my MoM, he was everywhere, though is play on the ground wasn't so great

JET had a awful 5 mins btw :laugh:

Fielding: 5- too short to be a keeper, especially against sides that like to get into the box often.

Ailing: 7- good player, but you can telly he used to be a right back, drove forward well and always offering.

Flint: 5- don't see much with him really, for someone 6 foot 5 he should be winning everything in the air, but Garner and Beckford caused him a few issues. Bit of a donkey as well. Nearly lost you the game right at the end

Williams: 4- shit really, every time the ball went over his head we knew there was a chance because he either gave it away or didn't get there, very poor for me.

Pack: 7- despite not getting much of the ball, did an excellent job of stifling our creative players, stopped us playing

Tavernier: 6- decent, not as good as when he was a rotherham player but still pacy and dangerous.

Bryan: 6- did well down the left a few times but thought our rwb Humphrey marshalled him very well.

Wilbraham: 7.5- surprisingly poor hold up play, but generally excellent attacking runs causing no end of issue, took his goal well.

Agard: 7- fast, hard working, nearly scored (despite cotterill's insistence it was going in, sat in line with it and going wide) and caused a few of our players some issues.

All in all good game, which you just edged, but certainly not to the 3 goals that your manager believes

Interesting to hear an opposing fans opinions but blimey reading that we were lucky to be in the game at all !!!! :o. :laugh:

Unless there is a set template as on other forums setting what a 7,8,9 etc means it's pretty meaningless really as one person sees an 'average' game as a 5 some a 6 and some a 7

Taking the trouble to add your comments as you did at least you give a reasoning to your marks Prestonian - fair play

Not surprised Garner is 5'10" but when you add on his elbows it comes to more than that.

Fielding - 7 Not exactly sure what he did to upset everyone, barely put a foot wrong. Distribution could have been slightly better but besides that fine.

Tavernier - 6 One cock-up in the box almost let Beckford in, did a decent job going forward though.

Ayling - 7 Few marauding runs out of defence, looked decent at the back too.

Flint - 6 Generally fine, kept Garner quiet in the air but for the second game in a row needed others to save him after gifting the ball away.

Williams - 6 Not much to note.

Bryan - 5 Had chances in good positions and didn't deliver, not one of his better games.

Pack - 6 Along with Smith kept Johnson relatively quiet, nothing too spectacular.

Smith - 7 See above, but with more attacking intent.

Freeman - 6 Preston did well to keep him from finding many gaps in between the lines.

Wilbraham - 7 As always never stopped running, took his goal well and could have had a hat trick but for two brilliant saves.

Agard - 7 Looks a different player recently, excellent work to make his chance near the end which Johnstone saved.

Everyone played pretty well, as you would expect when playing slightly better than the best opponents available.

As mentioned elsewhere, Bryan was fine apart from a poor final ball. He got into the positions, though, which is something, and his defensive work was fine.

Pack was quietly effective in midfield, providing a short-ball option out of defence and passing it well. He's "not championship standard" in the same was Cole Skuse is. 

Agard worked hard and effectively. His work often goes unrewarded but it's very important. He chases down long clearances and even when he doesn't get the ball he puts on enough pressure that the opponent can't play a good pass out and we often win an attacking throw-in as a result.

I thought Flint, Ayling and Williams all did reasonably well. All made at least one mistake but in combination they were able to cover for one another and marshaled Preston's two good strikers pretty well.

I didn't get a good view of Preston's goal from the other end but I didn't see Fielding do too much wrong. He's not the most dominant in the air but he has Flint to do that job for him and he's a good shot-stopper. If we had small defenders too then we'd be in trouble but the outfield on average is quite tall so it's less of an issue.

Fielding 6 - a couple of wobbly moments on crosses, but generally sound.

Ayling 7 - bought the ball forward with his usual class and defended well.

Flint 7 - a solid performance and an assist, though he should've just lumped it at the end and nearly gave a goal away by trying to play it cross field.

Williams 7 - composed and did the basics well, as always.

Tavernier 7 - much better second half and started to show what he can do with some extended game time - more to come from him I think.

Pack 6 - broke up play well but not able to have too much influence on the ball.

Smith 8 - excellent all-round performance. Won tackles, moved the ball well and controlled the midfield.

Freeman 7 - not as impressive as against Swindon but PNE handled him well. Still used the ball well and carried a threat.

Bryan 6 - disappointing final ball but their RWB defended very well against him. Still a menace and part of a good team performance.

Agard 7 - Tireless running and nearly made a goal for himself out of nothing.

Wilbraham 8 - Goal, great header off the bar, hard running, and a top centre-forward display.

Archived