IGNORED

When The Trudge Turned Into A Purposeful Strut....

BS4 on Tour...

Eight points clear at the top of a division as we approach mid-April. This is amazing and something many of us haven't experienced in our lifetimes.

This season has also demonstrated (for me) what football and following your local team is all about.

The trudge to the ground in the fairly recent past (when we would concede 4 at home to Leicester, Burnley, Wolves and 5 at home to Blackburn) has now for me turned into a purposeful strut. I'm keen to get into my second home and sit amongst fellow Bristolians, people from Gloucestershire and guys n gals from Somerset who are now full of pride with smiles on their faces, excitedly anticipating seeing Luke dribble effortlessly past statue-esq defenders, seeing Aiden bully centre forwards and react to violent challenges like a man of true grit (not a premier league show pony), seeing Wilbs fight for every ball like a 20 year old and seeing Cotts showing real passion on the touchline.

My journey to Ashton Gate is now full of fun and laughs, it's a strut not a trudge! The beer tastes better in the Seven Stars, it now seems cheaper in the Wetherspoons near North Street, the cheese and onion rolls in the Masonic taste like an angel crying on your tongue this season and I'm happy to queue in El Rincon.

It's been a rollercoaster since that Windass volley smacked into the back of our Wembley net, thousands of hearts sank and we declined with managers that are highly rated in the game. I still think McInnes will come good again south of the border.

It was strange but horribly swift. We ended up with an over-paid, under-performing squad and it was a real effort to look on. I renewed my ST with a heavy heart each season and often looked on in disbelief at what unfolded before our eyes.

Then we suddenly appointed a guy with an accent like ours, yet we interviewed no one else?! People were not happy, myself included, but the guy talked like a supporter, he was chuffed to bits to get the job and he came across so positively like a kid on Xmas eve. And he kept us up, and then he signed all the best players from the teams who'd played against us. Not rocket science, not a difficult or complicated strategy, but then as someone quite famous once said, football is a simple game complicated by idiots.

And we are now sitting at the top of a division as we charge headlong towards May, and I just wanna thank Steve L, Keith B, Steve C and all the rest for turning my trudge to the Gate into a purposeful strut...

Supporting City for 48 years and throughout that period it's been a roller coaster. That "feel good " factor was at its height in the early 70's followed by the "call the Samaritans" periods of one relegation after another just 10 years later.

In between then and now there have been relegations and promotions mixed with mid table obscurity. You could say that fans of my generation have "been there, seen that and got the T shirt"

But.....this particular season has been a very special one and that let me tell you is a very unusual experience. City playing some decent football and are pissing the league, aiming for a first league title in 60 years. Add to that the football league trophy and it's becoming the second best season in my time as a City fan.

That is a cracking piece BS4. Thank you.

It seems like yesterday and would breathe a sigh of relief to see we weren't playing at Ashton Gate this Saturday.

Now I count down the days and hours.

It genuinely isn't the winning. It's the football and the spirit.

I am actually a bit nervous about leaving this division. It has been great. Even if I seldom knew what colour kit the opposition play in.

Eight points clear at the top of a division as we approach mid-April. This is amazing and something many of us haven't experienced in our lifetimes.

This season has also demonstrated (for me) what football and following your local team is all about.

The trudge to the ground in the fairly recent past (when we would concede 4 at home to Leicester, Burnley, Wolves and 5 at home to Blackburn) has now for me turned into a purposeful strut. I'm keen to get into my second home and sit amongst fellow Bristolians, people from Gloucestershire and guys n gals from Somerset who are now full of pride with smiles on their faces, excitedly anticipating seeing Luke dribble effortlessly past statue-esq defenders, seeing Aiden bully centre forwards and react to violent challenges like a man of true grit (not a premier league show pony), seeing Wilbs fight for every ball like a 20 year old and seeing Cotts showing real passion on the touchline.

My journey to Ashton Gate is now full of fun and laughs, it's a strut not a trudge! The beer tastes better in the Seven Stars, it now seems cheaper in the Wetherspoons near North Street, the cheese and onion rolls in the Masonic taste like an angel crying on your tongue this season and I'm happy to queue in El Rincon.

It's been a rollercoaster since that Windass volley smacked into the back of our Wembley net, thousands of hearts sank and we declined with managers that are highly rated in the game. I still think McInnes will come good again south of the border.

It was strange but horribly swift. We ended up with an over-paid, under-performing squad and it was a real effort to look on. I renewed my ST with a heavy heart each season and often looked on in disbelief at what unfolded before our eyes.

Then we suddenly appointed a guy with an accent like ours, yet we interviewed no one else?! People were not happy, myself included, but the guy talked like a supporter, he was chuffed to bits to get the job and he came across so positively like a kid on Xmas eve. And he kept us up, and then he signed all the best players from the teams who'd played against us. Not rocket science, not a difficult or complicated strategy, but then as someone quite famous once said, football is a simple game complicated by idiots.

And we are now sitting at the top of a division as we charge headlong towards May, and I just wanna thank Steve L, Keith B, Steve C and all the rest for turning my trudge to the Gate into a purposeful strut...

I approve this message.

Brilliant post. Many could argue that getting to the championship playoff final is a better achievement. But for me, this has been my favourite season in my 10 years of being a city fan! The quality of football is a joy to watch. The 4 hour round-trip is no longer a chore but a pleasure. Long may it continue

I just picture you in a white "John Travolta" suit Saturday Night Fever stylie with ,of course your red scarf.

Well said, sir :clapping:

When I were a babber, I lived in Clifton, which was nowhere near as posh as it is now. I walked home from the Gate up Granby Hill. No problem if we won, but when we lost it felt like Everest. Not too many of those days this season :)

Yep, brilliantly put. One of the best things about this amazing season for me is not having to persuade my boy to come to the Gate anymore. At one point he really wasn't enjoying it (who was?) and I was seriously concerned that he was going to lose interest and start "supporting" a premier league team like some of his mates. Not much danger of that now, he has loved every minute of this season as much as I have, including his first few away games, and is hopefully well and truly hooked!

Have to say of my 58 years, and maybe my memory deceives me, this is the best season ever..... AD's time was also amazing and the win at Arsenal on the first day of the season was one of our great achievements. Sure when GJ was in charge we had great times and I can remember saying to friends that the club was in the best position ever with everyone pulling together -- team doing well in terms of success, fans relationship with GJ and the club really bouncing, relationship between GJ and SL seemed v positive and SL had quietly got Ashton Vale all sorted!!

But Ashton Vale was not sorted, our success somehow defied how we were actually playing and rarely did our Goal Diff get above single figures -- if ever. The team was hugely committed to the cause but it was an ageing team not brought up to date and when it was tried often the players did not fit. However it was an amazing time and we had some of the best games ever during that time -- Crystal Palace being the obvious.

Since the Wembley playoffs we raced downhill, everything went wrong and indeed it got so low until in early december 2013 I had less interest than ever and was determined it would be my last and I was looking to alternatives to Saturday afternoons....

...and then SC was appointed and I have to say I have not been more proud of a team in all my years supporting them -- great football, goals, success through the season with hardly a blip defying my inbuilt pessimism and fearing the worse at weekends. The team have fought for the shirt, seem determined to do well for themselves and the club, are a young vibrant bunch who clearly get on brilliantly as friends and work colleagues....and the nation is beginning to recognise our existence again.

So we have got out of gaol again -- are on the up and the post is spot on for me too. It is truly amazing how many think already that next season we should comfortably survive with this squad and that says it all really -- invest in good young players who want to play and better themselves and it is win win for all. After the anger also of AV and the politics of lies staying in our spiritual home is proving to be a great option we are all excited about.

Are we finally growing up and seriously looking at becoming much more of a force or are we going to do our famous  imploding act again as we get near  the promised land-- It does feel as if we have a much better sense of what is needed. Bloody slow learners at this club tho!!!!

Love the original post, it certainly has been a great atmosphere in and around the ground for most of this year so far. During the arguments discussions about flags and "ultras", standing etc, there were at least two posts on here claiming that only those things could bring enjoyment to the fans and an atmosphere to the ground. One poster actually replied to one of my posts saying "in case you hadn't noticed mate, football is ****ing boring!

I wonder whether they are still feeling that way or whether whats happening on the field has replaced "getting pissed with your mates and baiting the stewards" as a reason for attending...

Like it a lot.

I'm sat here about to watch Sting and Paul Simon (who I would recognise if he came up and introduced himself) and I'm going to need a few more things like this to get me through the evening.

The things you do for marriage eh?

So did you enjoy the concert then Fordy??

I was there and thought it was brilliant..

Archived