IGNORED

"part Time Fans"

mattjtsmith

i think we all would love to go to every game (certainly at the moment anyway!) but it's just not possible for a lot of us. It doesn't make us any less city fans in my opinion, I haven't been to nearly as many games this season as I would have liked (think I've been to 5 home and 2 away league games) but having a very young family takes up a huge amount of my time, same for a lot of people I guess.

A part timer in my book are those who badge themselves as Man U, liverpo, Chelsea fans etc but when the City are doing well all of sudden start referring to us as "We". I remember all sorts of people, some who had never even mentioned the City before, come out of the woodwork from Xmas onwards during our run to the championship playoffs. Once it was clear we weren't returning to those heady heights again for a while they slopes back to their Sky season ticket.

One way to know a true part timer is when you tell them who you support and they go "me too, did you go to Wembley"? Well of course I did you bell as I support them.

If we ever got to the Prem these would be the people who would buy a season ticket simply to watch all of the 'big teams' coming to the gate..

If you're happy to tell the world your a city fan when we're bottom of the basement then you're a full timer in my book.

This, basically. A part timer isn't someone who can only get to a few games a season, it's someone who doesn't even mention city when we aren't doing well.

Picking and choosing your games based on money/work/family/distance is just natural. I'm sure we'd all go to every game if we could.

I've had this conversation 1 thousand times on here

I'm divorced, that takes away a lot of the 'fun' money, and see 2 of my girls every other weekend, no way am I swapping seeing them for a couple of hours at the Gate. I love City, but can't compare it to my family. One day when they don't want to see their old man so much I'll be back

Lets be honest, if I was going to be an armchair fan I'd pick Chelsea or United, I've sat through years of dross being a City fan, it ain't easy, but what can you do. It's in your blood, hearing my 2 year old singing 'no, no, no' at the weekend and my 12 year old saying she was going to wear her City shirt to school when we got promoted makes it all worth while

If that makes me less of a fan is peoples eyes then I suggest you need to re-evaluate your priorities!

Just out of interest, what was your 2 year old asking Swindon to do at the weekend?

I sat right in the middle of loads of "part-time fans" at Wembley. Know what, I was glad they were there.

If the occasion encouraged them to come along to Ashton Gate and not just watch televised football that'll be a bonus to the club and - in my view - the individuals concerned.

There are a million reasons why people who are fans of the club cannot get to every game. I'm a ST holder and I've been so for years, but I've only attended one (non-Wembley) away game this season. Family and work patterns prevent me going to more. I suppose that makes me part-time compared to some...

Just out of interest, what was your 2 year old asking Swindon to do at the weekend?

Ha, a good question......I had watched the video on twitter and not backed out of the post, so when Gracie came to try and find Peppa Pig on youtube yesterday she hit the twitter icon to be greeted with the video.....thankfully she only picked up on 'no, no, no' and her 12 & 9 year old sisters weren't with her, and thankfully Mummy wasn't around either......I'd have been right in the brown stuff otherwise

It's a cracking song though, I'd prefer it if she waited a year or two before knowing the full version!

I can't see the logic in defining 'part-timer' based on geography, finances or family / work commitments.  I'd love to go to the Gate for every game, but live in Ireland so it's just not possible.  You have your team and you stay with them.  The 'part-timer' debate comes with success, so in that respect it's good to see it back!

I started supporting City as a young kid in 1978 when I was living even further afield, in an iron ore mining town in north-west Australia.  Me and my dad used to listen to the BBC world service and I'd hear their results against Liverpool, Arsenal and Man. Utd, yet I chose City over any of the 'big' teams and have never regretted it.  I remember ceefax arriving when we moved back to Ireland and not having to worry about missing the classified results when we were in Div. 4 and the Irish papers didn't always print the results that far down!  And now the internet...   Every season has something to play for, either promotion or relegation, and City rarely disappoint with dull mid-table mediocrity, which is why I'd hate to follow a 'safe' Premiership side like Everton (no offence to any Toffees, just an example...) who can only realistically hope for Europa League as the money gap expands.  Give me a City season any time.  Most people over here follow the Premiership, buy the replica shirts, watch Sky in the pubs on a Sunday and have heard there is football outside the bubble but aren't sure if it's true.  I go to the Gate as often as finances allow and over the years have taken my wife and / or mates with me.  We've all loved Bristol, and I've also bumped into other Irish City fans there so we know we're not alone.  I've been to Wembley for this year's JPT, the '08 Playoff and the 2000 Auto Windscreen Final and loved the days out if not the first two results.  I've been telling my Liverpool and Man U supporting mates that I've even seen Champions League football at the Gate... the women's game against Frankfurt the day before the JPT, but who knows?  One day, maybe?  Can't see myself being any more content as a City fan if we ever make the Prem.  It seems to become more dull and predictable every year.  

So what's a part-timer?  In 37 years following City I've averaged less than a game a season of actually seeing them play, but have had the most fantastic time in never knowing just how they were going to manage to make me s**t myself next.  You pick your team once.  I picked the right one.  It's full time for me.

Ok at the risk of repeating what's already been said I'm going to add my voice to this debate. I grew up in Failand moved to Backwell before residing in Clifton so attending games was easy, ive been a regular now for 35 years. Indeed proud to claim every home and away match 1990/1991 season, but now I live in Warwickshire I work 50+ hours a week and share my life a lady im slowly converting to the joys of the away day. This season our best in my lifetime and yes I include our premier league playoff final year in that, I have only attended 9 games does that make me a part time fan? No chance. My car carry's our flag and I wear the shirt with pride when ever I can. I am a loyal fan a true fan, a fan that has been at Aldershot on a November night in the old division 4, a fan that has changed holiday plans to fit in pre season freindlies. So just because I like many others all over the country all over the world can not make every game that does not make me a part time fan or a plastic fan it makes me a frustrated fan who has to resort to following games online on twitter or via the radio. I would love to be in the shoes of those of you that can make the gate week in week out but guy's please don't knock those of us that cant we have our reason's, we're still real fan's.

Actually thought of you on the way back from Preston Olly as we neared Bristol and home , remembering your pre match post and thinking that you still had another leg to go

Good effort buddy - I hope you & GF enjoyed your day and felt it worth the effort by the time you arrived in Plymouth :D

Was more than worth it! Stayed overnight in Bristol and did a bit of shopping on the Sunday to appease the missus. But must be said she absolutely loved the game, even caught here singing and pointing 'Who are ya' at the Preston fans after we scored! Then when I got home from work this evening I caught her singing Flint said no, no, no - brilliant!

Cracking weekend, and shes well up for doing similar in the future - can't go wrong with that!

Must admit, it's the topic that annoys me the most on here.

These lucky guys that get every Saturday off work, every Tuesday night off work, have the spare cash and are lucky enough to go see city every week give those who can't a lot of shit!

I myself am a city fan who lives in Kent. I've supported them from age 7 (1997) when my dad lived in burnham on sea! I got hooked in the goater/Thorpe days and I've never looked back.

I'm a chef, I get paid a pittance, I work long and tough hours. Unfortunately my chances are few and far between, especially with such few teams nearby ( I've taken good advantage of the gillingham fixtures this year) but I would like to make it clear...

This is my team, the gate is my church. I bleed cider and just because I'm clung to my phone (you can wait for your food sir ;) ) and not there every Saturday, doesn't mean I'm not a fan! So leave off, and count yourself lucky! In the day of glory hunters everywhere we should love and appreciate anyone that cheers for the city boys even if it's for one day in their life! They'll be converts soon ;)

Good post fella.

As many have already stated, just because you don't go to every game doesn't make you any less of a fan than those that do. You certainly shouldn't feel like you have to justify yourself to anyone on here. Once you have City in your blood you will always be a red. 

There are a lot of people who do go to a lot of games but know naff all. It doesn't mean they are more of a fan. I think some on here just love to blow their own trumpet.

You're a City fan. That's all that matters!

Was more than worth it! Stayed overnight in Bristol and did a bit of shopping on the Sunday to appease the missus. But must be said she absolutely loved the game, even caught here singing and pointing 'Who are ya' at the Preston fans after we scored! Then when I got home from work this evening I caught her singing Flint said no, no, no - brilliant!

Cracking weekend, and shes well up for doing similar in the future - can't go wrong with that!

Good - be handy when she can drive you to away games ;) Jobs a good un ;)

I can't attend because of this reason,Ican't attend because that reason,excuses,excuses,excuses,god I hate part timers.

:banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:

I actually thought this was a thread dedicated to all of those not going to Bradford

I think what some are trying to get across is, after lifetime of supporting this club it has taken them away from Brizz or they are simply to old or 'under the weather' to get to games unaided. Not much else.  

Many would be delighted to discuss days out to Bradford/Sunderland et al in the day...A few need to show some respect and perhaps wheel a few disabled supporters into home games!

Archived