IGNORED

"part Time Fans"

mattjtsmith

Must admit, it's the topic that annoys me the most on here.

These lucky guys that get every Saturday off work, every Tuesday night off work, have the spare cash and are lucky enough to go see city every week give those who can't a lot of shit!

I myself am a city fan who lives in Kent. I've supported them from age 7 (1997) when my dad lived in burnham on sea! I got hooked in the goater/Thorpe days and I've never looked back.

I'm a chef, I get paid a pittance, I work long and tough hours. Unfortunately my chances are few and far between, especially with such few teams nearby ( I've taken good advantage of the gillingham fixtures this year) but I would like to make it clear...

This is my team, the gate is my church. I bleed cider and just because I'm clung to my phone (you can wait for your food sir ;) ) and not there every Saturday, doesn't mean I'm not a fan! So leave off, and count yourself lucky! In the day of glory hunters everywhere we should love and appreciate anyone that cheers for the city boys even if it's for one day in their life! They'll be converts soon ;)

why get annoyed by it? I've seen 6 or 7 games this season because I have a young family. I'm away most of the week and to go to watch City on the weekend would mean, in my opinion, I would not be the best father I could be. So, I am self restricted to mostly midweek games.

Yes, people will brag about the number of games they go to and they probably genuinely think they are one of the best city fans, but who cares what they think?

I am sure in a few years you're circumstances will change and you can go to more games. Blimey, most fans will be fans for 50-60 years - plenty of time to watch your team.

why get annoyed by it? I've seen 6 or 7 games this season because I have a young family. I'm away most of the week and to go to watch City on the weekend would mean, in my opinion, I would not be the best father I could be. So, I am self restricted to mostly midweek games.

Yes, people will brag about the number of games they go to and they probably genuinely think they are one of the best city fans, but who cares what they think?

I am sure in a few years you're circumstances will change and you can go to more games. Blimey, most fans will be fans for 50-60 years - plenty of time to watch your team.

The first 55 years are the worst. After that Steve Cotterill comes along :)

i think we all would love to go to every game (certainly at the moment anyway!) but it's just not possible for a lot of us. It doesn't make us any less city fans in my opinion, I haven't been to nearly as many games this season as I would have liked (think I've been to 5 home and 2 away league games) but having a very young family takes up a huge amount of my time, same for a lot of people I guess.

A part timer in my book are those who badge themselves as Man U, liverpo, Chelsea fans etc but when the City are doing well all of sudden start referring to us as "We". I remember all sorts of people, some who had never even mentioned the City before, come out of the woodwork from Xmas onwards during our run to the championship playoffs. Once it was clear we weren't returning to those heady heights again for a while they slopes back to their Sky season ticket.

One way to know a true part timer is when you tell them who you support and they go "me too, did you go to Wembley"? Well of course I did you bell as I support them.

If we ever got to the Prem these would be the people who would buy a season ticket simply to watch all of the 'big teams' coming to the gate..

If you're happy to tell the world your a city fan when we're bottom of the basement then you're a full timer in my book.

Very similar to me, and before kids I played footy most Saturday afternoons with the opinion that I could still watch football in my 50's+ but wouldn't be able to play so might as well play for as long as I could. Then I had kids and have the wife guilt tripping me if I even think about stepping out of the door without the kids!

Very similar to me, and before kids I played footy most Saturday afternoons with the opinion that I could still watch football in my 50's+ but wouldn't be able to play so might as well play for as long as I could. Then I had kids and have the wife guilt tripping me if I even think about stepping out of the door without the kids!

Bloody wives eh! My golf has gone so far backwards as well it's unreal. Ah well, guess kids are just about worth all of these sacrifices!

You sound like you've got similar dilemma to myself, I didn't get a ST this year purely because Saturdays have become the only full day I get to spend with both my kids due to work commitments (even then I only get 2 out of 4 Saturdays off). When they're older and sick of the sight of me I'll get an ST again but in the meantime I tend to stick to Midweek games.

Think you generally will find people who use the expression 'Part Time Fans' are the very ones more likely to be the here and now brigade

Are the guys who come over from Sweden once or twice a year less of a fan than say somebody who travels from Taunton but attends every home game

What about the fans who just can't afford to actually go at all but love their club or the guys that tune in to the match / this forum from around the world at all hours, local time - arnt they just as much / big a City fan as someone who's been to every game ?

Of course they are

Do people take their seat at a game and interrogate the person next to them and check their ticket stubs for the season !!!!!!!!

It's nonsense..... Be proud of your club and enjoy watching the boys when you can

As somebody said earlier being a true fan is being open and passionate about your allegiance to your club , (maybe as simply as to a colleague at work,) when they're getting stuffed for the sixth week in a row !!!

(the team not your work colleague ;). )

Some people always need belittle others to make themselves feel ok. Your support is just a valid as anyone else's.

However, I still reserve the right to have a moan when my usual parking space has been stolen by some glory hunter for a 'big game'. ;)

Good post mate. I am more fortunate to watch the reds when I choose I was at Preston Saturday, I will be there on Tuesday and will be at the Cov game Saturday.  I don't go with this part time crap. some fans live miles away some fans have young families and the cost a of travelling to a game is not cheap. if a fan can get to the game when they can then they are a supporter. that's fine by me I think BobBobSuperBob sums it up quite well....

Totally agree here..

I moved to Scotland 5 years ago..

Miss my family...

Miss 'our' football club...

But listening to radio, getting updates when I'm out, pacing the floor watching games on Sky.. The love of this club 'never' leaves you & to say I'm a 'part timer' as I've only been able to see two games this season hurts..

Just because us exiles or fans who can't get to games don't attend every home/away games it really doesn't mean we don't go through every emotion that 'true fans' don't..

I totally agree with Matt.  Not everyone can go to every game.  I used to work Saturdays so I couldn't buy a season ticket, or even go to that many matches.

However when we are doing well.... the people that can't go to every game suddendly make a lot more effort to go.. if they made more effort to go to support the team when we aren't doing so well would also be very nice and possibly help lift the team.

People make more effort when were doing well no doubt about it, so thats what some refer to as Part Time.... and Plastics, well that's the ones that don't ever bother going and turn up and have no ideal - you won't see them again next season unless we do the double!!!

Just because someone goes to more games than another doesn't make them any better; I may go home and away every week.... Where as my best friends don't, however ... I love it when they join me ; we're all reds under the skin.... And no matter where we are in the world; you'll always find another... So remember that and be proud of what ya can get too! Because every time a new memory is created; COYR

Seems like there are loads of city fans spread around the country... Same as any other club I guess.

I live in nottingham, have supported city all my life and am proud to tell people round here that I support them, whether we're doing well or not.

Try to go as much as possible, mainly away games as the trek to Bristol and back is a lot in 1 day, but even that is dependant on family and work just like majority of other fans.

Bradford is "do-able" from here, so might see if the wife's in a good mood tomorrow!!

I'm now in the part-timer section as I had to move to Bournemouth 4 years ago.  Before that I was a season ticket holder from the age of 6, until I moved away at the age of 28!! It hurts me every weekend that I can't come to watch City, but it's far to expensive for me to now go to every game.  I do however listen to EVERY game, but its not the same. :(

Anyway, that's my sob story.

Down on the south coast for the last three years and although I am back in Bristol every week now it's for much more depressing reasons so I don't go to the gate as much as I'd like. 

It was my choice and I can't complain - I think this seasons run-in is the first in a long time where the ones who do make it week in week out and who travel country wide will get their rewards. Wembley was available to all in the end and past seasons I have been able to get tickets online no problem but with the reduced capacity now - I will spend flag day with no ticket and will be there for the last game with no ticket. Like I said - no complaints, I am just happy that we have something to celebrate.

I've been a season ticket for more years than I can remember but don't have a problem with any fan who is only able to make the odd game. At the end of the day, whoever supports our great club, and at whatever 'distance', is welcome, and on whatever basis they choose.

Just enjoy the ride like the rest of us buddy, it's had many downs but at the moment, this is a period that will stay with us all for many years to come!

COYR

So what actually is a "partimer?"

To me it's not an exile or a person who has work/young kids commitments. It's one of those who only start "supporting" City during the good times but distance themselves when things are not going so well. People who go to Wembley but have never seen City play before are a prime example. Others who wear Manure or Chelsea shirts in public and then claim to support Bristol City are another type.

We can all change things in our lives. Jobs, houses, cars, partners even geographical locations but you can NEVER change your football club.

So what actually is a "partimer?"

To me it's not an exile or a person who has work/young kids commitments. It's one of those who only start "supporting" City during the good times but distance themselves when things are not going so well. People who go to Wembley but have never seen City play before are a prime example. Others who wear Manure or Chelsea shirts in public and then claim to support Bristol City are another type.

We can all change things in our lives. Jobs, houses, cars, partners even geographical locations but you can NEVER change your football club.

Too bloody true - but isn't it wonderful when it comes together after years of dross? :) I refer the honourable member to my previous post.

I've had this conversation 1 thousand times on here

I'm divorced, that takes away a lot of the 'fun' money, and see 2 of my girls every other weekend, no way am I swapping seeing them for a couple of hours at the Gate. I love City, but can't compare it to my family. One day when they don't want to see their old man so much I'll be back

Lets be honest, if I was going to be an armchair fan I'd pick Chelsea or United, I've sat through years of dross being a City fan, it ain't easy, but what can you do. It's in your blood, hearing my 2 year old singing 'no, no, no' at the weekend and my 12 year old saying she was going to wear her City shirt to school when we got promoted makes it all worth while

If that makes me less of a fan is peoples eyes then I suggest you need to re-evaluate your priorities!

Archived