IGNORED

Worcestershire Vs Yorkshire

'Orns

Here's an odd one

Yorkshire 1st Innings127 for 4 (31.5 overs)

Runs Minutes Balls 4s 6s Lees not out   69 122 97 8 2 Rhodes c Mitchell b Morris 0 65 5 0 0 Pujara c Fell b Andrew 0 5 6 0 0 Pyrah c Mitchell b Shantry 43 83 59 7 0 Leaning lbw b Shantry 10 20 22 1 0 Hodd not out   0 4 2 0 0 Extras 0nb 0w 0b 5lb 5   Total for 4 (31.5 ovs) 127

It's the wicket of Leaning that stands out, the son of former City goalkeeper, Andy, snared by City fan Jack Shantry

That scenario can't have happened too many times?

Come on you Pears!

Saw the name and googled it, beign Yorkshire and remembering seeing Leaning in goal for York in my first trip to the Gate I put two and two together, and bugger me, it made 4!

Tremendous knowledge. I have to admit; I remember Leaning but didn't know he was a Yorkie so I feel I've learnt two things today

In days of yore, players managed to play county cricket in the summer and professional football in the winter. I can just about remember Barrie Mayer who played for City and Gloucestershire. Before that was Arthur Milton who played for England at cricket and briefly for City.

Read a very funny interview with Jack Shantry last year.

He said the only other City fan on the county cricket circuit was Trescothick, who he felt was a class apart. When he struggled to get him out he said he didn't think sledging him would work, so he sang "drink up thee cider" whilst running in to put him off!

From Shrewsbury as well

But his Dad has brought up both his sons, Adam and Jack, in the true religion; to believe 100% in the boys in red and white.

The day we won promotion at Burnley in 1998, I got out of my car near the ground and turned a corner to be jumped on by all three of them. Great guys.

In days of yore, players managed to play county cricket in the summer and professional football in the winter. I can just about remember Barrie Mayer who played for City and Gloucestershire. Before that was Arthur Milton who played for England at cricket and briefly for City.

Barrie Meyer played for Rovers and then City. He was deputy wicketkeeper for Glos and then became a Test match umpire later.

Arthur Milton was the last Englishman to represent his country at football and cricket. Played 14 games for City in the title winning team of 1955.

I remember seeing Chris Balderstone playing for Carlisle at the Gate then for Leicestershire at the County Ground A few months later. Would have been 72/73.

I believe he was the last professional footballer/cricketer, although that might have been Phil Neal, not the Liverpool fullback.

I remember seeing Chris Balderstone playing for Carlisle at the Gate then for Leicestershire at the County Ground A few months later. Would have been 72/73.

I believe he was the last professional footballer/cricketer, although that might have been Phil Neal, not the Liverpool fullback.

Jim Cumbes - Lancs fast / med bowler and goalkeeper must have been around with Bladerstone - think you may be right about Phil Neale being the last

Read a very funny interview with Jack Shantry last year.

He said the only other City fan on the county cricket circuit was Trescothick, who he felt was a class apart. When he struggled to get him out he said he didn't think sledging him would work, so he sang "drink up thee cider" whilst running in to put him off!

But his Dad has brought up both his sons, Adam and Jack, in the true religion; to believe 100% in the boys in red and white.

The day we won promotion at Burnley in 1998, I got out of my car near the ground and turned a corner to be jumped on by all three of them. Great guys.

Graham, as CA says, Jack's brother, Adam is also a City fan and played for Glamorgan, I think he may have quit now. Their Dad, can't remember his name for the life of me, played for Gloucestershire

Jack is also big mates with Matt Smith, I think they went to school together and count Joe Hart as an old school friend and good mate too.....maybe Shantry can play his part in getting Smith back here next season. Jack is never shy to send a tweet out when he's at the Gate watching City. Tends to spend his winters in Australia now, so guess he's missed out on this fantastic season

Here's an odd one

Yorkshire 1st Innings127 for 4 (31.5 overs)

Runs

Minutes

Balls

4s

6s

Lees

not out

Rhodes

c Mitchell

b Morris

Pujara

c Fell

b Andrew

Pyrah

c Mitchell

b Shantry

Leaning

lbw

b Shantry

Hodd

not out

Extras

0nb 0w 0b 5lb

Total

for 4 (31.5 ovs)

It's the wicket of Leaning that stands out, the son of former City goalkeeper, Andy, snared by City fan Jack Shantry

That scenario can't have happened too many times?

Come on you Pears!

Sorry not a cricket fan so is the scenario about him being the son of a city player or is it an odd cricket score. Also who are the pears?

Sorry not a cricket fan so is the scenario about him being the son of a city player or is it an odd cricket score. Also who are the pears?

Leaning is the son of a former City player, Shantry is a massive City fan. The Pears? The mighty Worcestershire, of course......

Archived