IGNORED

Best And Most Important Wins

22A

At the end of the 75-76 promo season, many people reckoned that City's best win was at Oldham; 1-0 up, 2-1 down and then back to win 4-2. However the most important win was the 1-0 at WBA.

This season? OK winning 6-0 at Bradford appears to be the best win of the season (so far). But I argue that the most important win was the first game at Sheffield. They were man people's favourites for promotion, but City went there and won. If we had lost many people would have prepared for another season of mid table anonymity, but by winning it became "Hey, we can do this".

Random thought; Sheffield & Bradford are in Yorkshire. Hopefully that county will see wins for City next season at Leeds & Huddersfield. If those fixture planners are kind we'll be away to one on the Saturday and the other on the following Tuesday.

At the end of the 75-76 promo season, many people reckoned that City's best win was at Oldham; 1-0 up, 2-1 down and then back to win 4-2. However the most important win was the 1-0 at WBA.

This season? OK winning 6-0 at Bradford appears to be the best win of the season (so far). But I argue that the most important win was the first game at Sheffield. They were man people's favourites for promotion, but City went there and won. If we had lost many people would have prepared for another season of mid table anonymity, but by winning it became "Hey, we can do this".

Random thought; Sheffield & Bradford are in Yorkshire. Hopefully that county will see wins for City next season at Leeds & Huddersfield. If those fixture planners are kind we'll be away to one on the Saturday and the other on the following Tuesday.

I remember these games well: if I recall correctly, the Aston Villa manager at the time commented after the Oldham game that we were by far the best team in the league.

The WBA game (just before the draw away to Sunderland) was the clincher, and what a turn-out from the City fans - I shall never forget the queues on the slip road leading from the motorway exit (and the people absolutely desperate to relieve themselves on the hard shoulder) and, for me, the novel entry to The Hawthorns - turnstiles actually on the street itself!   

Peterbrough 3-0 comes to mind, after two big defeats back to back

This. Live on TV, away from home coming off the back of 2 straight defeats after a long unbeaten run. I reckon even the most optimistic City fan would have been a bit uncertain about what might happen. Previous City teams would have imploded from that point and slid down the table.

Not this one though. An utterly dominant away performance against a half-decent side. I knew after that that we had a special group of players who could go all the way.

In addition, the night I knew we were definitely going up was Orient away. We won, Preston drew, Swindon and MK both lost.

People forget home wins to Crawley, Chesterfield, Rochdale. Scrappy wins where we didn't play well. This is what has made this team. We can go to places home and away, not play at our best but still grind the result.

The game I knew we were up was Leyton Orient away, every team around us lost but we won.

People forget home wins to Crawley, Chesterfield, Rochdale. Scrappy wins where we didn't play well. This is what has made this team. We can go to places home and away, not play at our best but still grind the result.

Agreed. A lot of people, some of our fans included, say that the likes of Swindon and MK play the best football in the division. MK especially might dish out more hammerings than us (tonight being the exception!), but they can't scrap out results when not playing well in the way that we can, which is what wins you titles and promotions.

Also that 6 game winning streak over Christmas and New Year. We'd had the back to back loses vs Swindle and Preston, just suffered a poor defeat at Crewe and were having to play Saturday Tuesday for ages due to our FA Cup and JPT runs. That was where we really pulled clear, and we've not looked back since!

Archived