IGNORED

Sixty Years...

Wanderingred

20 years ive supported us and its fair to say there has been more downs than ups and it's been a hell of a rollercoaster ride. Not ashamed to say that on the final whistle I shed a few tears of joy. This is truly amazing and history has been made this season. You dont win a double every year (more like 60 for us) have we won a double before? I highly doubt we will ever see a season like this in my lifetime again. Very emotional tonight.

I'm one of those who've lived through two championship winning City teams. It also means I've experienced 8 promotions and only seven relegations.

As an aside during 54-55, City did the double over Liverpool. Playing in left midfield for them was some guy named Geoff Twentyman.

More than makes up for the disappointment of being pipped by Watford in 98, this season has been amazing. What a team-the best part has been the relentless consistency. MK Dongs may tank teams by 5-7 goals but still lose 3-0 at home to Walsall. We on the other hand just kept on churning out the results-the hallmark of champions.

Well done to Steve Cotterill and the team, watching us parade around the pitch at full time I recalled his first home match in charge, a 2-1 defeat to Rotherham featuring a lifeless first half and a slightly better second. At half time that day there's no way I could have dreamed we'd be winning the title in April 15. Here we are, and bring on the Championship. 

Never thought I'd live to see it. Very emotional.

Bristol City and Double in the same sentence!....OMG :sad26: I'm so bloody happy!

You and me both Aiz, I can just visualise my dad sitting on his little cloud hovering over AG, with his little short fat hairy legs, enjoying every minute of the celebrations.

Yep sharing his cloud with my old man! Spread his ashes around a tree over looking the ground at Ashton Court a couple of years ago!...Perhaps Divvy is with them too!

First time Ive ever seen us go up as champions AND a Cup Final victory....best team Ive ever seen with respect to t'old 'uns who may have

Take that line out of Championship on your signature Bucks!

Just idle speculation. You wait for ages for a bus, then three turn up together. Any chance (please) of three consecutive Championships?

To be fair I'd probably settle for two and then a season of consolidation. Our ticketing system isn't ready for the Champions League just yet.

I don't post very often on these fora, enjoying lurking, but just wanted to say huge congratulations to the club for an incredible season. I've been a City fan for about 35 years, much to my parent's horror as they grew up in Eastville. (There used to be a football team there, or so I'm told). Never known it like this. Not many of us have.

I still remember when a few BCFC players visited my junior school (Raysfield, Chipping Sodbury) which would have been around 78/79; wheels coming off time. They joined our PE lesson and taught some training skills, which is probably why I can't kick a football to save my life! From that point I was a City fan. Nothing like timing. At least I can't be accused of being a bandwagon boy!

I can barely remember the consecutive relegations, never really understood what was going on in '82 until years later. I remember the erstwhile Gas pip us to the title in 1990, the Premier Play off heartbreak and the only League cup final I have made it to, they bloody lost to Stoke!

However I remember the few promotions, the cup wins, seeing City beat the Sportsman FC 2-1 at the Gate in my first (and only) derby and have bounced around the ground once or twice.

This season has surpassed all that. It's so good going into the office and people saying, "I see City did well on Saturday" or "Saw them on telly last night, look really good, bound to go up".

Makes a change from x number of years of "What about your lot on the weekend then? They going down or what?"

Cheers lads, and thanks to all the posters on here for the great threads this season. Made I laugh!

Raising a fermented apple based beverage or two tonight!

Moose

(Now living in Yeovil so this season is payback for 2 years ago!)

First time Ive ever seen us go up as champions AND a Cup Final victory....best team Ive ever seen with respect to t'old 'uns who may have

They'd have to be very old indeed to have seen a better team!

1954-55 was my first promotion, the first City promotion for thirty two years. That team lives on in my memory as the best I have seen.

But that is unfair to all the other seven promotions since, including this season's. Every one made it a special season at the time.

It is impossible to quantify the quality of each promotion side against another so while my nostalgia for 1955 is valid for me, it is simpler to say that the latest is the best until the next one arrives. And let us all hope that the number of years until the next one, allows dome of us mature fans to share it.

Congratulations, you deserved to win the league, as for us looks like the play offs unless we win our last three. More chance of platting sh/t

Keep the faith bud, it took us years to ditch the bottling...think you lot will be too good for the Dongs

Archived