IGNORED

J E T: 'i'm At Home Here'

REDOXO

We've tried using JET as the "point" of an inverted diamond formation before, and it just doesn't work. He drifts out of position and you get this huge hole in midfield. If anyone can push up into the Freeman role, then Korey Smith has proved he's no slouch going forward.

I personally would like to see Jay stay. While people might question Agard's strike-rate (I thought he was very busy yesterday and unlucky not to get a penalty), you have to ask how much of a Championship season will Wilbraham - who turns 36 in October - be able to play.

We will definitely need a genuinely pacey attacker though, as I'm sure Cotterill and Burt know.

I take your point about JET drifting. I don't recall him playing in that position this season though. Perhaps SC can get him to fill that role effectively as he definitely has all the attributes. Playing as a deep forward or just behind has got to be his natural position. He's not a striker who plays on the shoulder of a defender and he's not a target man.

I'm not sure I could see Korey Smith playing the Freeman role. I agree he's no slouch going forward but it's not about that. It's not really his game to drive at defences, find pockets of space and create from no where. He's better suited as a centre midfielder. It is Freeman and JET's game though.

If Freeman was ever injured I'd like to see JET play there, especially if Agard also plays to make up for his lack of running. Overall would like to keep this squad together and then add to it.

I love JET. Ridiculous player hope he stays.

Have you watched the clubs YouTube videos from yesterday?

We already know Wilbs has triggered an extra year but both JET and Elliott spoke not only like they were really happy here but expected to be here next season. I know official contracts might not have been offered yet but wouldn't be surprised if Cotts has given them a bit if reassurance that there will be a contract for them. After all, we've known for some time that we'll most likely go up.

Strongly disagree. JET is possibly more suited to the type of defenders and games we will come up against in the championship.

As someone said above if we want to replace JET it'll cost us significantly and for a comparable wage. Pocket the half a million plus it would cost us in transfer fees and give him 2 more years is far more prudent.

This

Some players are more suited to the Championship. Jet will get more time on the ball in the Championship. I remember Luke Wilkshire. Cracking player but was unsuited to league one. Would have been amazing in the Champiinship.

And, to some extent, this

Jet has improved his work rate significantly as well as his fitness. He is a much better player than when with Ipswich and talk of zero effort 99% of the time is absolute hog wash and insulting to a player who has done so much. He has no less a chance of performing well in a higher division than any other of our players. 

What it all comes down to is whether Steve feels he has a part to play in the Championship. I hope so but either way , few could argue that Jet hasn't been one of the most talented and exciting players ever to play in a City side.

This

And, to some extent, this

Jet has improved his work rate significantly as well as his fitness. He is a much better player than when with Ipswich and talk of zero effort 99% of the time is absolute hog wash and insulting to a player who has done so much. He has no less a chance of performing well in a higher division than any other of our players.

What it all comes down to is whether Steve feels he has a part to play in the Championship. I hope so but either way , few could argue that Jet hasn't been one of the most talented and exciting players ever to play in a City side.

+1

I do feel a little sorry for agard.

He arrived as a winger and was asked to play a role that requires certain qualities that he obviously doesn't possess.

He reminds me a bit Steve Jones who used the "runs around lot to close down defenders/goalie routine" to win over the fans.

To be fair to Agard, to score nearly thirty goals last season, he certainly has something to offer and if cotterill's future plans are to include a natural wide man then this could be his saving grace.  

(SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN AGARD LINK ) !!

JET's been a key player here the last two seasons. His goals and assists kept us up last season and his partnership with Matt Smith kept us on track while the other strikers were injured this year. Has played over 100 games in the Championship and has improved since he joined us.

Keeping him should be a no-brainer if he wants to stay.

I take your point about JET drifting. I don't recall him playing in that position this season though. Perhaps SC can get him to fill that role effectively as he definitely has all the attributes. Playing as a deep forward or just behind has got to be his natural position. He's not a striker who plays on the shoulder of a defender and he's not a target man.

I'm not sure I could see Korey Smith playing the Freeman role. I agree he's no slouch going forward but it's not about that. It's not really his game to drive at defences, find pockets of space and create from no where. He's better suited as a centre midfielder. It is Freeman and JET's game though.

If Freeman was ever injured I'd like to see JET play there, especially if Agard also plays to make up for his lack of running. Overall would like to keep this squad together and then add to it.

Korey was pushed up against Cheltenham and the result was two goals and a MOTM award. He has said himself, he likes playing a more aggressive role on the pitch. Thing is, he's such a good defensive midfielder, he's rarely given licence to roam.

We've definitely tried JET in midfield this season, and SOD tried it last. You may have missed the occasions though, as about 5 minutes after he comes on he starts reverting to his preferred wide right position.

Korey was pushed up against Cheltenham and the result was two goals and a MOTM award. He has said himself, he likes playing a more aggressive role on the pitch. Thing is, he's such a good defensive midfielder, he's rarely given licence to roam.

We've definitely tried JET in midfield this season, and SOD tried it last. You may have missed the occasions though, as about 5 minutes after he comes on he starts reverting to his preferred wide right position.

I actually thought that JET's performance against Cheltenham in that Freeman role was very good; set up goals and even did work back picking up the ball.

Fair point but that was against lg2 Cheltenham. I can't see Smith being a serious option in the Freeman position in the championship. His expertise are needed deeper.

Fair point but that was against lg2 Cheltenham. I can't see Smith being a serious option in the Freeman position in the championship. His expertise are needed deeper.

I dunno. This all hypothetical anyway, because I have a feeling it will be Freeman performing the Freeman role next season!

JET will get game time. He's a superb impact sub these days. Cotterill has somehow changed his attitude there because in times by, if you weren't starting him, you weren't seeing him.

He's also very capable of stepping up to the plate and having a run in the team.

He offers something different, unexpected, he can baffle opponents - and us! But his ability to excite the fans is something that shouldn't be downplayed.

My instinct is that if he is happy staying here, he should be offered a new contract.

I can imagine he's something of a good vibes merchant in the changing room too. That's also worth considering.

Some players are more suited to the Championship. Jet will get more time on the ball in the Championship. I remember Luke Wilkshire. Cracking player but was unsuited to league one. Would have been amazing in the Champiinship.

I was sorry we never saw him play there, he was with us a couple of seasons too soon. As for Jet, sometimes it's better the a Devil you know and we certainly know his strengths and weaknesses. I've never been a huge fan, but I was more impressed with him when he was playing with Matt Smith than I was with him last season when he was more successful. I too have been hoping he would have got more game time lately.

Will he stay? Probably if offered a deal, after all not many clubs are prepared to build their team around him and fit him in. He won't want a League One again I doubt, and he's not proven himself recently at a higher level lately. He needs us as much as we need him once again.

For what it's worth, my thoughts are that it is a sad indictment of the game in general when players with his kind of talent are not considered to one of the first players any team would want in their squad.

It is, I agree, but one has to be realistic.

From Brian Clough (and undoubtedly before) the maxim has been not to lose - and this brings success.

I'd rather have JET in my squad than somebody else's, in some ways he was a victim of our unbelievable consistency and lack of injures this season. Cotts is not going to change a winning formula and unfortunately for JET it's meant he was a bit part player. However when he was called upon he did great. I would be very surprised if they didn't offer him a new deal, and JET appears to have enjoyed his time at City so I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed, but who knows!!

For what it's worth, my thoughts are that it is a sad indictment of the game in general when players with his kind of talent are not considered to one of the first players any team would want in their squad.

In the squad, yes, in the starting 11, no. You can't afford to start someone so unpredictable who might contribute nothing, in the hope he'll do something brilliant.

I'm sure Sam baldock was the same last year

Interesting piece in the programme  - Wilbraham saying Baldock was one of the main reasons he came. Also that Sam didn't really want to leave, as he foresaw us having a good season, but the contract on offer was just too good to refuse.

Interesting piece in the programme - Wilbraham saying Baldock was one of the main reasons he came. Also that Sam didn't really want to leave, as he foresaw us having a good season, but the contract on offer was just too good to refuse.

For me, that is seriously bad judgement from Baldock, if it was indeed the case he didn't wish to go.

I realise that you've a limited career as a footballer, and you need to look after yourself financially as life is long once you're done, but it he felt he was on a good thing here at City (captain, good dressing room, imagine decent money, first team 11 player) yet followed the money, he doesn't warrant sympathy from me.

Looking at the year he's had, what player would exchange some extra scratch for being part of a double winning side? I've know a couple of lads who've played pro, and from what they've told me, you don't remember signing big deals; you remember you moments on the field. One bloke I know played for England under 21s, in the Premier League and in promotion and cup winning teams; those are the moments he has framed photos of, not putting a pen to paper.

Liked Baldock and felt he could have been an interesting addition to this team if he stayed, but can't really sympathise with that choice, if it was just to follow coin.

For me, that is seriously bad judgement from Baldock, if it was indeed the case he didn't wish to go.

I realise that you've a limited career as a footballer, and you need to look after yourself financially as life is long once you're done, but it he felt he was on a good thing here at City (captain, good dressing room, imagine decent money, first team 11 player) yet followed the money, he doesn't warrant sympathy from me.

Looking at the year he's had, what player would exchange some extra scratch for being part of a double winning side? I've know a couple of lads who've played pro, and from what they've told me, you don't remember signing big deals; you remember you moments on the field. One bloke I know played for England under 21s, in the Premier League and in promotion and cup winning teams; those are the moments he has framed photos of, not putting a pen to paper.

Liked Baldock and felt he could have been an interesting addition to this team if he stayed, but can't really sympathise with that choice, if it was just to follow coin.

Brighton are likely to be a different prospect next season, after a tough year this campaign. Who's to say he doesn't end up in a promotion-chasing side there next season? Not exactly an unattractive club to sign for.

I dunno. This all hypothetical anyway, because I have a feeling it will be Freeman performing the Freeman role next season!

JET will get game time. He's a superb impact sub these days. Cotterill has somehow changed his attitude there because in times by, if you weren't starting him, you weren't seeing him.

He's also very capable of stepping up to the plate and having a run in the team.

He offers something different, unexpected, he can baffle opponents - and us! But his ability to excite the fans is something that shouldn't be downplayed.

My instinct is that if he is happy staying here, he should be offered a new contract.

I can imagine he's something of a good vibes merchant in the changing room too. That's also worth considering.

I am pretty sure he is the "shit music merchant" in the dressing room too !

Brighton are likely to be a different prospect next season, after a tough year this campaign. Who's to say he doesn't end up in a promotion-chasing side there next season? Not exactly an unattractive club to sign for.

Wasn't talking about next season; was talking about this season - I think he made the wrong choice, if he really had wanted to stay.

Could have got a championship medal and a cup under his belt, instead signed for a manager who ended up sacked at a club who are still not 100% clear of relegation.

Just my opinion like.

Wasn't talking about next season; was talking about this season - I think he made the wrong choice, if he really had wanted to stay.

Could have got a championship medal and a cup under his belt, instead signed for a manager who ended up sacked at a club who are still not 100% clear of relegation.

Just my opinion like.

I agree. His head was seriously turned by someone. I think he has been out injured for a while, funny how when things are going well for him he doesn't get these injuries.

I was surprised he didn't give us one more year, or at least until January. But anyway, thanks to the money we got some quality, and well the rest is history. Baldock? Who?

Archived