IGNORED

Agard

BS3_RED

In the last 5 games Agard was awful vs Oldham, good vs Swindon, very good vs Preston and did ok today. Wasn't at Bradford so can't comment on his performance there but, whilst I agree and would rather have JET in the side, Agard has done enough for me over the last few games to warrant getting off his back a bit.

In the last 5 games Agard was awful vs Oldham, good vs Swindon, very good vs Preston and did ok today. Wasn't at Bradford so can't comment on his performance there but, whilst I agree and would rather have JET in the side, Agard has done enough for me over the last few games to warrant getting off his back a bit.

Was good against Bradford

Agard:

Puts pressure on defenders - yes. Forces them to make mistakes - no, because he can't control the ball and it usually bounces off his shins.

Retains possession - no, because he can't control the ball and it usually bounces off his shins

Brings other players into the game - no, because he can't control the ball and it usually bounces off his shins

Looks like scoring - no, because he can't control the ball and it usually bounces off his shins

Personally I want strikers to score goals, Agard has not scored enough, luckily others in the team have, JET has scored as many with much less game time, but JET playing means the team would have had to play a different way, which may not have been as successful, we will never know now and we have won the league so who cares, but I'd take a JET over Agard any day

Agard:

Puts pressure on defenders - yes. Forces them to make mistakes - no, because he can't control the ball and it usually bounces off his shins.

Retains possession - no, because he can't control the ball and it usually bounces off his shins

Brings other players into the game - no, because he can't control the ball and it usually bounces off his shins

Looks like scoring - no, because he can't control the ball and it usually bounces off his shins

....a sort of Shanks' Pony then? , except he runs a lot rather than walks and, for a pony does a lot if the donkey work.

I think you will find that all fans at all clubs are pretty much the same judging by what I read on the internet.

Feel free though to explain what he brings to the team apart from running around? I have not slagged him off, I am just asking the question.

You really don't get it do you? Unless this is another wind up, we have just won the league, Cotts has put in place a system that swept teams away, both in scoring and defending, and yet you question the place of Agard.

Cotts picked him over Jet for a reason, if you need a evidence look at the league table.

You really don't get it do you? Unless this is another wind up, we have just won the league, Cotts has put in place a system that swept teams away, both in scoring and defending, and yet you question the place of Agard.

Cotts picked him over Jet for a reason, if you need a evidence look at the league table.

I get what he does. Ass Portland Bill stated, he does run around placing pressure on defenders but other strikers can do that as well as control a ball when it comes to them, they also tend to score goals.

The thing is, Agard was not a striker at Rotherham,. he played more on the flank of an attacking three. The fact he is not a natural striker was shown yesterday when he took a touch and lost his opportunity to score when any natural striker would have hit it first time.

What he does (that was completely evident from Wembley and Swindon)  is he keeps the pressure on the opponents back line for all of the time he is on the pitch, which prevents them venturing too far forward (unlike our back 3), he pulls centre backs out wide allowing midfielders safe passage through the middle, he doesn't give them time to settle.

Exactly.  I really rate JET and would go so far as to say that, on his day, he's the most gifted player I've seen in a Bristol City shirt but I completely get why Cotterill starts Agard instead with Wilbraham and think our results would probably have been poorer with JET instead of Agard.  It's easy to say there's loads of people who can run but I think Agard is much more intelligent in how he does that than, for example, Danny Haynes.  In a way, I think he's a bit like Danny Welbeck in the sense that he's a striker but his primary role is a defensive one of pulling the defence out of shape and preventing teams from playing out from the back, both of which are crucial to the way we play.  The problem is it's also work that's only defined by its absence (i.e. you don't notice it, you only notice it when it's not happening).

Of course it'd be great to have someone who does that work and scores goals but, at our level, everyone is going to have flaws and Cotterill's skill has been to organise the team so that strengths are accentuated and the effect of any flaws is minimised - hence the fact we've got a striker who many people think doesn't do much but we're still the second highest scorers in the league and average more than 2 goals a game.

I agree there are games where JET should have come on earlier but I don't think Agard has done anywhere near as badly as many seem to think. 

Much of this thread echoes much of what I've heard sitting in the Williams for the back half of the season.

I'm surrounded by experienced football watchers who nonetheless seem to believe that what turns a game is simply what City players do. Yesterday was a perfect example. The idea that the other team was set up to thwart City and that one of the things our players had to do was counteract that and earn the right to play our game seemed to completely pass them by.

If your view of a match is that City's strikers are judged by the goals they score then there are strikers with a better scoring record. On the other hand if you look at the team as a whole, and then the opposition, and assess what City have to do to carve out scoring opportunities Agard does a great job harrying and chasing, and occasionally being there to score himself. 

Bradford was great example. First 5 goals scored by defenders. This season the team has scored for fun on occasion and has a plus 50 goal difference. Agard works hard in attack to assist others and in defence to break up opposition attacks. Been a great player for us this year.

Look how long it took Flint to show his best form. He was very ordinary for much of last season and yet this season he's been immense.

Bear that in mind when you critise Agard.

Not sure you can compare Flint last season (especially before SC took over) with Agard this season. Last season pre SC the whole team underperformed whereas Agard has only known a confident winning side in which he has failed to perform to the level I expected. Not good enough in L1 for me and cannot see that changing with a step up to the Champ. Time to strengthen.

I do feel a little sorry for agard.

He arrived as a winger and was asked to play a role that requires certain qualities that he obviously doesn't possess.

He reminds me a bit Steve Jones who used the "runs around lot to close down defenders/goalie routine" to win over the fans.

To be fair to Agard, to score nearly thirty goals last season, he certainly has something to offer and if cotterill's future plans are to include a natural wide man then this could be his saving grace.  

lets sum this up. i was at bradford and witnessed our champagne football in the 6-0 demolition, a game made for Agard and our quicksilver striker did not score

Agard is in the position that chris garland, bob taylor etc etc played in as the quick man off the big striker. he hustles and bustles but never holds the ball up without falling over and his control is not velvet like say joe bryan

i think wagstaffe could have done a better role for the team let alone JET

lets sum this up. i was at bradford and witnessed our champagne football in the 6-0 demolition, a game made for Agard and our quicksilver striker did not score

Agard is in the position that chris garland, bob taylor etc etc played in as the quick man off the big striker. he hustles and bustles but never holds the ball up without falling over and his control is not velvet like say joe bryan

i think wagstaffe could have done a better role for the team let alone JET

Yes let's sum this up, going by your interpretation of what striker should do, we should never have signed Wilbraham should we? his record over the previous 5 years was awful.

Question, do you honestly believe that the season could have gone any better than it did?.

SC is the manager and has rarely put a foot wrong during this season and I suspect that the reason JET doesn't figure as a starter in every game might have something to do with in the 6 league defeats after SC took over last season JET started in 5 of them, i'm sure it helped SC to decide we needed a different sort of player up top and guess what he was right.

The seasons expectation levels started off with hopefully top 6 and progressed to hopefully promotion to finally winning the league title for the first time in 60 years and some still weren't/aren't happy they wanted to possibly jeopardise that in the name of JET/entertainment.

Everyone has an option and is justified to have their opinion. The difference in option is what makes the forum interesting, but one question for those who believe Agard is a good player.

How can anyone who can't control the ball and can't withstand any sort of physical challenge be regarded as a good player? When I was younger I could have run about a bit but that did not make me a good player. As well as scoring goals any forward must be able to retain possession when he gets the ball. With Agard it's just a question of which direction the ball will fly off from his shins.

Yes let's sum this up, going by your interpretation of what striker should do, we should never have signed Wilbraham should we? his record over the previous 5 years was awful.

Question, do you honestly believe that the season could have gone any better than it did?.

SC is the manager and has rarely put a foot wrong during this season and I suspect that the reason JET doesn't figure as a starter in every game might have something to do with in the 6 league defeats after SC took over last season JET started in 5 of them, i'm sure it helped SC to decide we needed a different sort of player up top and guess what he was right.

The seasons expectation levels started off with hopefully top 6 and progressed to hopefully promotion to finally winning the league title for the first time in 60 years and some still weren't/aren't happy they wanted to possibly jeopardise that in the name of JET/entertainment.

As many on here know, I am not a great lover of jet but we should all be thankful that he delivered when we needed him to in tandem with smith during the Wilber/agard injuries.

For those that went to Gillingham in the league, there was a clear sense of dismay in the pub when news spread of the starting line up but thankfully they performed admirably as a pairing and for many others games.

It is cotterill's decision who he starts and he definitely took a chance by not recruiting again following smiths return to Fulham, but Colchester apart away, when the first 30 minutes were the worst I and many others have witnessed this season, Jet never really let us down and I feel he has been given a bit of a raw deal with his lack of game time since.

He closes down the opposition very well and he's a willing runner and the team looks balanced with him in it.

But he doesn't look like a natural striker to me, his technical ability is poor and I don't think he can head a ball. He also snatches at chances which a natural striker would put away.

I think he's in the team because of his hard work defending from the front and for the balance he gives the team. 

As long as we have the whole team chipping in with goals (and we've scored 86 in the league so far this season) does it really matter that Agard doesn't score as often as we'd like ? 

Spot on mon ami, anyone would think that scoring has been a real problem this season but for the first time in many a year we have 5 players who have scored 10 or more and 2 more on 7, which is frankly astounding and a worrying thought for next seasons championship rivals.

Archived