IGNORED

If We Reached The Play-Off Final Next Year...

LondonBristolian

(Before any accuses me of jumping the gun, this is just a thought exercise and not a genuine expectation that this is what will happen).

Obviously last time we came up, we had an incredible season which culminated in the play-off final but, if you look at the list of players in our squad that day, that was basically as good as it got for all of them (including the manager).

Basso, Orr, Carey, Fontaine, McAllister, Noble, Elliott, Carle, MicIndoe, Adebola, Trundle

Subs: Weale, Vasko, Johnson, Sproule, Byfield

Of that list, nobody really kicked on from there and went onto better things.  Orr moved to a Premier League team but never really established himself and everyone else either plateaued at a slightly lower level for a few seasons or rapidly faded into obscurity.  

If we did reach the play-off final with our squad next year and a few additions, you'd hope we had players who could go on to better things (with us hopefully!).  Is our squad that much better than the 2006/2007 one or do we just lack the hindsight to see how things will ultimately turn out?  I'm pretty confident it's the former and we've got at least four or five players who could at the very least establish themselves as quality Championship players but it's interesting to think about. 

I'm not sure I could definitely say this team is better, but it is younger and has more potential.

The 07/08 team featured players who on their day were brilliant, McIndoe (turned to crime), Trundle (was signed for us 2 years too late), Noble (quality on his day), Carle (all the potential but didn't deliver) and Basso (World class at times).

The likes of Adebola, Carey, and McCalister were all capable on their day but were nearing retirement.

This team is younger and has the potential to go on to better things.

People  judge the 07/08 team on what they done afterwards, but it could be said, in 07/08 they treated us to some of the best football we've seen this club produce against a number of big clubs. There is no doubt this team could go on to be successful but they are yet to achieve what the 07/08 team achieved although the early evidence is promising.

(Before any accuses me of jumping the gun, this is just a thought exercise and not a genuine expectation that this is what will happen).

Obviously last time we came up, we had an incredible season which culminated in the play-off final but, if you look at the list of players in our squad that day, that was basically as good as it got for all of them (including the manager).

Basso, Orr, Carey, Fontaine, McAllister, Noble, Elliott, Carle, MicIndoe, Adebola, Trundle

Subs: Weale, Vasko, Johnson, Sproule, Byfield

Of that list, nobody really kicked on from there and went onto better things.  Orr moved to a Premier League team but never really established himself and everyone else either plateaued at a slightly lower level for a few seasons or rapidly faded into obscurity.  

If we did reach the play-off final with our squad next year and a few additions, you'd hope we had players who could go on to better things (with us hopefully!).  Is our squad that much better than the 2006/2007 one or do we just lack the hindsight to see how things will ultimately turn out?  I'm pretty confident it's the former and we've got at least four or five players who could at the very least establish themselves as quality Championship players but it's interesting to think about. 

Comparing like for like I think the current side is better than that one in every position.

GK - Fielding has developed into a much better keeper this season and would rate above Basso

Central Defence - I can't see Fonts or Carey dislodging any of Flint, Ayling or Williams. Possibly Carey in his prime but that was past by this time

Left Back/Wing - Joe Bryan every time

Right Back/Wing - This would be the closest, but Orr was at his absolute peak and Little has a long way to go yet.

Midfield - Some people may call for Noble to be in, but that would be rose tinted specs at best. Freeman wins over him, Smith over Eliott

Strikers - I would prefer Wilbs to Adebola and Trundle never produced for us so it would be Agard or Jet there.

So for me, yes, this squad is that much better.

Comparing like for like I think the current side is better than that one in every position.

GK - Fielding has developed into a much better keeper this season and would rate above Basso

Central Defence - I can't see Fonts or Carey dislodging any of Flint, Ayling or Williams. Possibly Carey in his prime but that was past by this time

Left Back/Wing - Joe Bryan every time

Right Back/Wing - This would be the closest, but Orr was at his absolute peak and Little has a long way to go yet.

Midfield - Some people may call for Noble to be in, but that would be rose tinted specs at best. Freeman wins over him, Smith over Eliott

Strikers - I would prefer Wilbs to Adebola and Trundle never produced for us so it would be Agard or Jet there.

So for me, yes, this squad is that much better.

I would argue similar but with Basso and Marvin Elliott.

Don't get me wrong Fielding has had a great season and Korey Smith has been phenominal, but Marvin Elliotts first season at City (the 07/08 season) he was an absolutely unbelievable player, one of the best seasons of any individual player I can remember.  

We got there last time because we were a collective, better than the sum of our parts and extremely difficult to score against or to work harder than.

This season's side has more talent than the one that got us into The Championship last time but I'm not as optimistic as many I read on here that as a result the outcome will be at all similar.

It is hard to understate how much better sides are at taking their chances and keeping the ball than in the league we have just exited.

Also we at not be able to play the risky, open 3-5-2 formation at that level because of the above two factors.

We do have players who have the potential to do well at that level (and in one or two cases possibly beyond) but I worry that it will be much tougher than many people realise, which might see us adopt a more cautious approach and subsequently lead to a loss of faith in some.

One of the lessons of our last spell at that level was how quickly some supporters saw battling draws at home to the likes of Ipswich as some sort of failure.

Recruitment this summer is key now, we need to strengthen but not hugely alter the squad and bringing in 3 or 4 players who've played at Championship level before is vital.

I think some are carried away with the success of this season that they do a discredit to that side, personally. I mean, I read one bloke Just Red moaning that we were winning games 1-0 : /

This team may have more skill or technique (I'd say that team also had players who had that in abundance), but what was so edge of the seat in 2006-8 was the never say day and never know when beaten attitude. We may have won more games 3-0 this time around, but I tell you what those who left early to beat the traffic missed some fantastic drama quite regularly.

We got there last time because we were a collective, better than the sum of our parts and extremely difficult to score against or to work harder than.

This season's side has more talent than the one that got us into The Championship last time but I'm not as optimistic as many I read on here that as a result the outcome will be at all similar.

It is hard to understate how much better sides are at taking their chances and keeping the ball than in the league we have just exited.

Also we at not be able to play the risky, open 3-5-2 formation at that level because of the above two factors.

We do have players who have the potential to do well at that level (and in one or two cases possibly beyond) but I worry that it will be much tougher than many people realise, which might see us adopt a more cautious approach and subsequently lead to a loss of faith in some.

One of the lessons of our last spell at that level was how quickly some supporters saw battling draws at home to the likes of Ipswich as some sort of failure.

Recruitment this summer is key now, we need to strengthen but not hugely alter the squad and bringing in 3 or 4 players who've played at Championship level before is vital.

The good thing is that Burt and Cotterill know the championship,  perhaps , better than L1.

Can't wait for the transfer rumours to start .

Chris Eagles ,anyone ?,former Cotterill player  at Burnley .

Can just see the headline  "City swoop for Eagles ".

I believe this is a better league 1 side, after all we've won the league. We didn't last time. We've been more dominant than the last promotion and acquired more points.

What we can't compare it to is the championship team that followed! That play-off team were collectively awesome and over-achieved. It was a wonderful season. We can't really compare it to this team until next season, can we? The only thing we can compare is the two league 1 campaigns and our current team eclipse them.

What we can say is that our current set of players both individually and collectively have the potential to become established championship players for years to come.

The good thing is that Burt and Cotterill know the championship,  perhaps , better than L1.

Can't wait for the transfer rumours to start .

Chris Eagles ,anyone ?,former Cotterill player  at Burnley .

Can just see the headline  "City swoop for Eagles ".

I've said 3 or 4 times, signing Chris Eagles a replacement for Wade would be one of the best moves this club could make. Free agent who when he was at Blackpool played there best games this season and since he's gone to Charlton he's pulled the strings there. Free agent in the summer and his injuries look behind him. Still 29 and lets be honest had he not had the 2 bad injuries he had in his career he would be playing in the Premier League. Chris Eagles in a City shirt would be an outstanding piece of business and I agree with his links with Cotts I could see it happening.

I've said 3 or 4 times, signing Chris Eagles a replacement for Wade would be one of the best moves this club could make. Free agent who when he was at Blackpool played there best games this season and since he's gone to Charlton he's pulled the strings there. Free agent in the summer and his injuries look behind him. Still 29 and lets be honest had he not had the 2 bad injuries he had in his career he would be playing in the Premier League. Chris Eagles in a City shirt would be an outstanding piece of business and I agree with his links with Cotts I could see it happening.

He's a player I've long admired too and I'd be pleased if he signed.

Very good player but isn't he a bit of a dick with a huge ego? I know lots of footballers do but would he fit in to our dressing room? He's also an attacking player or winger in the Freeman role. He's not a central midfielder like Wade so wouldn't be a like for like replacement. Wade will be here next season anyway, just not as a starter.

Very good player but isn't he a bit of a dick with a huge ego? I know lots of footballers do but would he fit in to our dressing room? He's also an attacking player or winger in the Freeman role. He's not a central midfielder like Wade so wouldn't be a like for like replacement. Wade will be here next season anyway, just not as a starter.

Cotts will be best placed to judge if he'd fit in with the dressing room. Like you I've heard he has a bit of an ego and that was why he had a quick fire sale out of United. However all that seemed to be a few years ago and I'm not sure the question marks are still there - could be wrong though.

Like you I'd also thought he was more of an AMC or winger however.

At the age Eagles is now, wasn't Wade still a winger? Many wingers come into central midfield in the latter part of their career (Tinnion, for instance) so why not Eagles?

I think Elliott will stay, but as a player or as a coach?

At the age Eagles is now, wasn't Wade still a winger? Many wingers come into central midfield in the latter part of their career (Tinnion, for instance) so why not Eagles?

I think Elliott will stay, but as a player or as a coach?

Good point, lots of those players do in the twilight of their careers. Elliott and Guggs are good examples. That's not to say Eagles has been playing deeper now, nor that he has the mentality to. Do you know what position he's been playing this season?

As for Elliott, players rarely become player-coaches I think that's a little bit pie in the sky. I think he'll stay for his experience but he'll be down in the pecking order. That's not to say he won't do academy coaching whilst he's here but to be an official player-coach is unlikely.

Good point, lots of those players do in the twilight of their careers. Elliott and Guggs are good examples. That's not to say Eagles has been playing deeper now, nor that he has the mentality to. Do you know what position he's been playing this season?

As for Elliott, players rarely become player-coaches I think that's a little bit pie in the sky. I think he'll stay for his experience but he'll be down in the pecking order. That's not to say he won't do academy coaching whilst he's here but to be an official player-coach is unlikely.

I went to a few Blackpool games, Eagles was playing box to box midfielder and not on the wings. He took the ball from defence to attack and I must admit he stood out a mile on the pitch. Amazingly I got chatting to him as he stayed in a hotel up here where I use the gym and he signed a two month contract at Blackpool and wasn't on a wage, but with an agreement if he done well he would get a contract, this is purely why I don't believe the ego bit about him. He then was offered terms he couldn't possibly accept when he left and went to Charlton. I went to see Charlton a couple of weeks ago and again he was not on the wing, he played central midfield but again box to box midfielder. He reminded me a lot of the sort of player Lee Johnson was when he was here but better. Eagles doesn't have the blinding pace he once had, so the wing is not for him anymore, but he controls the ball really well and some of the passes I saw him pull off at Blackpool, come from having vision that most players don't have. This is of course his first season back from injury so without doubt he could be better again next season. I think he would be more of the Cisse/Elliott/Korey Smith type midfielder than Wade Elliott but what stood out in his few games up here I saw, was the ease of which he moved the ball around, and the way he was always in a position where if you needed the ball to be played back he was always there to receive and to look for another forward move.

Blackpool have looked bad at times, but when I've seen them play, they haven't always been dreadful and when he was playing for them he looked in a league of his own. He could certainly do a job here from what I saw, and his goal for Blackpool , well if you done that in the Premier League they would have been talking about it for months on end. 

I went to a few Blackpool games, Eagles was playing box to box midfielder and not on the wings. He took the ball from defence to attack and I must admit he stood out a mile on the pitch. Amazingly I got chatting to him as he stayed in a hotel up here where I use the gym and he signed a two month contract at Blackpool and wasn't on a wage, but with an agreement if he done well he would get a contract, this is purely why I don't believe the ego bit about him. He then was offered terms he couldn't possibly accept when he left and went to Charlton. I went to see Charlton a couple of weeks ago and again he was not on the wing, he played central midfield but again box to box midfielder. He reminded me a lot of the sort of player Lee Johnson was when he was here but better. Eagles doesn't have the blinding pace he once had, so the wing is not for him anymore, but he controls the ball really well and some of the passes I saw him pull off at Blackpool, come from having vision that most players don't have. This is of course his first season back from injury so without doubt he could be better again next season. I think he would be more of the Cisse/Elliott/Korey Smith type midfielder than Wade Elliott but what stood out in his few games up here I saw, was the ease of which he moved the ball around, and the way he was always in a position where if you needed the ball to be played back he was always there to receive and to look for another forward move.

Blackpool have looked bad at times, but when I've seen them play, they haven't always been dreadful and when he was playing for them he looked in a league of his own. He could certainly do a job here from what I saw, and his goal for Blackpool , well if you done that in the Premier League they would have been talking about it for months on end.

Great to get someone's insight like this. cheers for that.

Thanks for this. Sounds like he has moved to playing deeper than he used to. Having said that, I expect we'll only be in for 1 central midfielder this season and although I'm sure he'd do a job for us I'd prefer us to sign an up and coming quality player a bit like Korey Smith last summer. Someone who has potential to improve and increase in value.

I know it's important to have a balance of age and youth in a squad (and that's why I think Elliott will stay) but I would be sceptical of going back to signing journeymen who are past their prime and have achieved better things.

The thing I love about our current squad is that for most of them what they've achieved this season is the best thing they've ever done in their careers. We want players like that who love playing for us and are hungry for success. Eagles and other old players have achieved so much elsewhere and am not convinced they'd care as much as this group do.

Bang on the money.

Archived