IGNORED

3.5 Million Pounds And The League Of Death

Marina's Rolls Royce

As some have said, the loan system will be vital for us next season.

This season, everything we tried came off, we may not be as lucky next season.  We had a core squad of about 18/19 this year....but ive never known a season where we have had so little injuries to key positions.  Our defence for example....Im sure apart from Williams missing two games, the back four (including Fielding) have been together all season.

For me, I think Wade Elliott will move on, and I think they will try to move Wagstaff, Reid and Burns on. JET.....cannot make up my mind what Cotts will do here.  Either way, it should give us the scope to add 5 new additions to the squad this summer at least.

As Monkeh said....quality is key

I still don't know if I want to get there.

Look how close the players the fans and everyone seem to be at the moment. We feel the most "at one" as weve been since the Johnson era and its great. As much as I want to see City play at the highest possible level, I think a little bit of the enjoyment would fade if my team was full of journeymen, or worse half a squad of foreigners who couldn't point Bristol on a map and have no connection with the fans.

I also wouldn't want to see us yo-yo between the leagues and become a West Brom / Birmingham / Leicester type club striving to get to the place that ultimately we will come straight back down from.

Look how close the players the fans and everyone seem to be at the moment. We feel the most "at one" as weve been since the Johnson era and its great. As much as I want to see City play at the highest possible level, I think a little bit of the enjoyment would fade if my team was full of journeymen, or worse half a squad of foreigners who couldn't point Bristol on a map and have no connection with the fans.

I also wouldn't want to see us yo-yo between the leagues and become a West Brom / Birmingham / Leicester type club striving to get to the place that ultimately we will come straight back down from.

The good news for me over the close season will be very little transfer activity,  we have a team that plays as a team.  The ball is pinged around the midifled, there are great runs up the wings and if it ever gets back to defence then Flint wins the headers and the ball is ushered back into the midfield.  It works brilliantly and is the 3-5-2 system working at its best.

I'd like to see us sign Matt Smith but that's about it.

I guarantee the love in will soon go after a few mid to lower finishes. I am not interested in the prem. But let's not kid ourselves the fans will turn when the success dries up... Be it in the prem or the championship

the approach we had to this season,

quality first and for most, get a core of 18 players who are good, and use the loan system where needs be,

no need to be sentimental about players,  

Fully agree with the sentiment bit....which clouds my thinking with Jet. Maybe if he is just to be an impact sub then he could possibly make way for someone who fills a better role and not in the 87th.

Also agree that a couple of high quality players added to this squad could see us challenging next season. I doubt Steve Cotterill has any intention whatsoever of " consolidation".

As Shankley said' the next word to follow consolidation is relegation'.

I don't think I'm being 'gaslusional' about our prospects- I've seen too much shite at City- I just believe our star is rising.

How many of the current top 6 in the Championship are receiving parachute payments.......None

In fact you have to go down to 8th and Wolves to get one and that stops at the end of this season. Parachute payments can just as easily be the kiss of death it seems

How many of the current top 6 in the Championship are receiving parachute payments.......None

In fact you have to go down to 8th and Wolves to get one and that stops at the end of this season. Parachute payments can just as easily be the kiss of death it seems

Norwich are, 

I wouldn't be surprised if we have a number of players already lined up to be signed, just waiting for the window to open, we seem to be extremely pro-active these days

Spot on Monkeh. We'll have been doing our homework since the turn of the year for close-season recruitment based on two scenarios. As it is the Championship scenario that has played out, I'm certain we'll know exactly who we want to move on and who we want to move in. Given our success, it's also inevitable that there will be approaches for some of our key players which will test our mettle, no doubt.

why do teams get parachute payments anyway? 

So that when they get promoted into the PL they will make some expensive buys to give them a chance of staying up; knowing that in the event of being relegated they won't immediately go bankrupt because of it is my understanding.  It makes the PL more interesting as it means upcoming clubs don't automatically get hammered every game and relegated.

The downside is upon the Championship; but that's not the PL's problem.

Archived