IGNORED

Music Thread

internetjef

Correctemundo Mr Dawg!

Although the Smiths were great live around the time they brought out their debut, the album sounded like the producer and engineer had just set up the deck and then gone down the pub.

The Queen Is Dead is the highpoint, but Strangeways is a fine, varied and well-recorded album.

The Smiths (the album I mean) has subsequently been remastered. One of the reasons I like Hatful Of Hollow so much is that a lot of the BBC session stuff sounds miles better than their own studio recordings

I agree about Strangeways; it's a great record, but The Queen Is Dead is one of the all time greats

Gotta say there's some great stuff on this thread,

Anyway in my humble opinion, record of the year so far,

Loud Places by Jamie XX and Romy, along with Young Chasers by Circa Waves.

Ok, if we're doing best albums of this year I've really enjoyed offerings from The Districts, Courtney Barnett, Sleater Kinney, Nadine Shah, Mikal Cronin, Father John Misty, Heart Beach... That's about it. Been a decent year thus far, not a great one

Ok, if we're doing best albums of this year I've really enjoyed offerings from The Districts, Courtney Barnett, Sleater Kinney, Nadine Shah, Mikal Cronin, Father John Misty, Heart Beach... That's about it. Been a decent year thus far, not a great one

Got tickets for Courtney Barnett at the Academy in December, cracking album.

Also listened to Father John Misty the other day and it sounded pretty special. Right up my street as he was in Fleet Foxes I believe and he is signed to Sub Pop Records.

A record that is being critically spunked about which I can't quite get into is Kendrick Lamar's new one. Starts brilliantly, but I just don't see it as the "game-changer" that it is being hailed as.

Also, on further listening I may have to concede that Sufjan Stevens has done it again and Carrie & Lowell is a truly beautiful album! Blur's album is enjoyable too.

Much better year of music so far than last year, for me...

Looking forward to Hot Chip's new one too based on the 3 songs they've put on YouTube and also I must get round to listening to Bjork's, which again sounds good on the singles I've heard.

I've been on a mission today listening to songs my Mum & Dad played when I was growing up, all of which remind me of my childhood! 

Absolute Reality - The Alarm

One - U2

Kayleigh - Marillion

Blackberry Way - The Move

The Show Must Go On - Queen

Young Girl - Gary Puckett

All The Young Dudes - Mott The Hoople

My own tastes are pretty broad, anything from Queen to classical, but not a fan at all of hip hop/R&B/house in the main. But my main genre is probably indie stuff like The Killers, Muse. Soft spot for Matchbox Twenty from holidays in the States as a teen when they were massive.

Got tickets for Courtney Barnett at the Academy in December, cracking album.

Also listened to Father John Misty the other day and it sounded pretty special. Right up my street as he was in Fleet Foxes I believe and he is signed to Sub Pop Records.

A record that is being critically spunked about which I can't quite get into is Kendrick Lamar's new one. Starts brilliantly, but I just don't see it as the "game-changer" that it is being hailed as.

Also, on further listening I may have to concede that Sufjan Stevens has done it again and Carrie & Lowell is a truly beautiful album! Blur's album is enjoyable too.

Much better year of music so far than last year, for me...

Looking forward to Hot Chip's new one too based on the 3 songs they've put on YouTube and also I must get round to listening to Bjork's, which again sounds good on the singles I've heard.

She's great live, better than on record IMO

Father John Misty was indeed formerly the drummer in Fleet Foxes, both his most recent album and his debut are excellent. I'm hoping to see him on tour on September

I listened to a few random tracks from that Kendrick Lamar album and thought they were quite good, but when I listened to the album it seems a mess. It does sound good, but not sure it's anywhere near as good as the hype

The Blur album is pretty good, not listened to Sufjan Stevens latest but that's tomorrow covered! I think last year was a great year for music, not convinced by 2015 yet. Of course Radiohead are recording a new album so if that comes out it's a game changer!

She's great live, better than on record IMO

Father John Misty was indeed formerly the drummer in Fleet Foxes, both his most recent album and his debut are excellent. I'm hoping to see him on tour on September

I listened to a few random tracks from that Kendrick Lamar album and thought they were quite good, but when I listened to the album it seems a mess. It does sound good, but not sure it's anywhere near as good as the hype

The Blur album is pretty good, not listened to Sufjan Stevens latest but that's tomorrow covered! I think last year was a great year for music, not convinced by 2015 yet. Of course Radiohead are recording a new album so if that comes out it's a game changer!

It's probably the excellent production that grabs you. Some of the basslines are great too, with Thundercat helping out. I don't find his delivery or lyrics particularly inspiring though. We'll see, I'm not saying it's bad but just doesn't live up to the hype.

I struggled to find albums to love in 2014....Future Islands, Sharon van Etten, War on Drugs...then I'm struggling to be honest. St Vincent, Mac DeMarco, Spoon were all pretty good...definitely not a stand out year for me - I recall 2013 being far more productive!

It's probably the excellent production that grabs you. Some of the basslines are great too, with Thundercat helping out. I don't find his delivery or lyrics particularly inspiring though. We'll see, I'm not saying it's bad but just doesn't live up to the hype.

I struggled to find albums to love in 2014....Future Islands, Sharon van Etten, War on Drugs...then I'm struggling to be honest. St Vincent, Mac DeMarco, Spoon were all pretty good...definitely not a stand out year for me - I recall 2013 being far more productive!

Quite possibly. He'd almost be better off writing music for quality vocalists than trying to do his own vocals, but I imagine Kendrick would politely inform me that he's being perfectly well without my advice!

2013 was great; those you mentioned were all great albums (though I have a feeling that St Vincent album came out late in 2013? Maybe it was early 2014), I could also recommend albums from After the End by Merchandise, Lose by Cymbals Eat Guitars (both awesome), Wierd Little Birthday by Happyness, Best Day by Thurston Moore, Atlas by Real Estate and Honeyblood by Honeyblood for pure song craft. Everybody Down by Kate Tempest is also lyrically brilliant, as is (at the complete opposite end of the musical spectrum) Benji by Sun Kil Moon which is just utterly brutal

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

Smiths - any, but to choose 1 The Queen is Dead

Marion - This World and Body

Small Faces - Ogden's Nut Gone Flake

U2 - No Line on the Horizon

Suede - Suede

Stone Roses - Stone Roses

Ned's Atomic Dustbin - God Fodder

Ultrasound - Everything Picture

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Interpol -Antics

Like others have said, if you asked me tomorrow you'd probably get a different 10! Also forgot about Tracy Chapman's self titled album, Mezzanine, Play, Nevermind, Def Maybe and What's the Story, Only by the Night, His and Hers by Pulp, Parklife or Leisure by Blur, The Holy Bible, anything by the Who or the Stones, Elcka's Rubbernecking, Farm or I bet on Sky by Dinosaur Junior and Necking by Orange Deluxe!

Ok, just realised I put 11 to begin with and nearly 30 in total, but well worth a listen nonetheless!

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

Smiths - any, but to choose 1 The Queen is Dead

Marion - This World and Body

Small Faces - Ogden's Nut Gone Flake

U2 - No Line on the Horizon

Suede - Suede

Stone Roses - Stone Roses

Ned's Atomic Dustbin - God Fodder

Ultrasound - Everything Picture

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Interpol -Antics

Like others have said, if you asked me tomorrow you'd probably get a different 10! Also forgot about Tracy Chapman's self titled album, Mezzanine, Play, Nevermind, Def Maybe and What's the Story, Only by the Night, His and Hers by Pulp, Parklife or Leisure by Blur, The Holy Bible, anything by the Who or the Stones, Elcka's Rubbernecking, Farm or I bet on Sky by Dinosaur Junior and Necking by Orange Deluxe!

Ok, just realised I put 11 to begin with and nearly 30 in total, but well worth a listen nonetheless!

Some proper Britpop classics in that list mate, especially Marion! I saw them supporting Ash along with 60ft Dolls (WHAT A LINEUP!!!) in about 1995 or 1996 when Ash were touring 1977. It was only the 2nd gig I'd ever been to, we were served at the bar with no questions asked and I pulled! Best. Night. Ever

Have been to a few excellent gigs in Bristol this past year or so:

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - O2 Academy.

Lagwagon - Bierkeller.

Against Me! - Bierkeller.

Against Me! is one of the best gigs I have been to in my 45 years.  Billy the Kid supported and she was excellent.  Against Me! were simply awesome.

Some proper Britpop classics in that list mate, especially Marion! I saw them supporting Ash along with 60ft Dolls (WHAT A LINEUP!!!) in about 1995 or 1996 when Ash were touring 1977. It was only the 2nd gig I'd ever been to, we were served at the bar with no questions asked and I pulled! Best. Night. Ever

1977 is a great album, listen to it now and then - some great guitar in there

Goldfinger I listened to over and over when it came out, superb

Love the Super Furries, they've just reformed and are touring. Ice Hockey Hair was always a fave of mine

Ice Hockey Hair is a great song, all their works are different but I prefer their older works upto Rings Around The World, Outspaced has some real gems to.

I can recommend the work of his former bassist, Mikal Cronin. More 'orthodox' than Ty Segal but a great songwriterLik

Like both man, also Thee Oh Sees are well worth listening to.. the list is endless really :)

I have a feeling Flying Lotus can be linked in somewhere in this post. His new album is ok but he has produced so much better.

Ice Hockey Hair is a great song, all their works are different but I prefer their older works upto Rings Around The World, Outspaced has some real gems to.

Like both man, also Thee Oh Sees are well worth listening to.. the list is endless really :)

Yeah, Thee Oh Sees are great too

Another great song, there's half a dozen on that album

I even like SFA's Welsh language albums. Always interesting.

When many years back they played Ashton Court I got to "hang" with them and their buddies afterwards. A cracking bunch of lads.

I know a few on here have championed The Gaslight Anthem:  they are on at the Olympia next week when I am in Dublin.  Not a band I have listened to at all:  worth a few hours of my time?

Yes, very much so ............ very Springsteenish

Yes, very much so ............ very Springsteenish

So Springsteenish that I saw Lord Bruce himself play a couple of songs with them at Glastonbury a few years back. They're not my favourite band, but they are great live so I'd definitely recommend trying to catch them

Archived