IGNORED

More Evidence That The Spl Is A Tinpot League

Steve Watts

As if any more evidence were needed, check out the current SPL table....6th place Dundee have two points less than 7th place Hamilton, who conceivably could finish with a higher points tally than 3rd place Inverness (and therefore a Europa league place), but never move any higher in the table than they are now....I  mean, what the frack?!?   :blink:

1 Celtic                 34 56 82

2 Aberdeen         34 27 74

3 Inverness CT   33 10 55

4 St Johnstone   34 -1 51

5 Dundee Utd     33 2 49

6 Dundee            34 -2 44

7 Hamilton         34 -4 46

8 Partick Thistle 34 4 41

9 Kilmarnock      34 -14 38

10 Ross County 34 -18 37

11 Motherwell     34 -26 31

12 St Mirren        34 -34 24

I read something about it... after 33 games when they have all played 3 times,, it effectively splits into two leagues of 6 which play each other for the fourth game to give a total of 38 games. Not sure if the final league table is done "properly" but for now they keep them separate

By splitting it means the 6th placed team is the weakest in their mini league whilst the 7th team is the strongest in theirs.

So yes, the 7th team frequently ends up with more points than the 5th or even 4th placed team.

it has always been a pointless league, even when Celtic had competition from rangers - even more so now that it is a forgone conclusion every year. Why would you even take an interest in a league where you know before a ball is kicked who is going to win the title....

The fact they play each other 3 times is plain friggin' stupid.

So they allow teams to have a bias of a 'home advantage' and/or and 'away disadvantage' as such.

Also surely all teams would want to play Celtic at home twice to increase revenue?! The outcome is usually not going to differ, or make much of a difference for that matter.

Shit rule.

Sensibility would suggest 19 teams and play each other 4 times or a minimum of 16-18 teams with two fixtures against each other and a 'sensible' winter break.

But hey, I'm not paid to make such professional decisions on this matter.

The bizarre top six split was brought in, as I understand it, when the top flight was (again) increased from 10 to 12 teams in about 2000. It is to prevent the 12 teams playing each other 4 times a season, as it was felt that 44 games is too many. The workaround is even more ridiculous, however.

Two leagues of 20 has been mooted on a number of occasions but it has been argued, pretty hollowly in my view, that it would result in too many meaningless games. I think it's worth a go; the Scottish league has been almost continuously reconstructed since the 1970s and virtually every other format has been tried.

A lot of Scottish domestic football's shortcomings are self-inflicted: the top-six split; the ludicrous play-off system where the teams finishing third and fourth bottom play each other, then the winner takes on the team that finished second, then the winner of that plays the team who finished second bottom in the SPL; the lack of a pyramid system meaning e.g. East Stirling could finish bottom of the fourth tier season after season without any consequences (although I thought this had now been addressed - Highland and Lowland League teams play off to replace team finishing bottom, or is this merely a one-off?); the scrapping of a European place for the League Cup winners which renders that competition virtually pointless, and the refusal to countenance summer football, which you could make a reasonable case for in Scotland.

Even decent innovations in the Scottish system have been scrapped, such as getting the League Cup out of the way by mid-October and the winter break. The Scottish game has been completely run into the ground by incompetent governing bodies. The product is not fantastic, but those in charge have contrived to make it a lot worse.

Archived