IGNORED

Bournemouth

BRISTOL86

I dont really see the big hoo-ha with them going up to be honest.. Obviously its a great achievement but cmon they have had the backing havn't they..

As much as i ******* hate Holloway Blackpool

Going up for me was a fair bit more of a shock than this.. Id even say Burnley when they went up the first time was a better achievement as they really were on a shoe string budget that year

Not in anyway knocking it though! Im all for fresh faces up in the top flight..

Er we have had backing as well haven't we?

• Admin

Certainly meant no ill to SC by that comment mate. I guess the point is that all good recruitment is about taking a punt. SC didn't think he was good enough, now he's the Championships hottest property.

I think it was under McInnes that City were aware of him, and SOD would've liked him but wasn't allowed any money to spend on what was perceived as a risky signing.

Sometimes you just gotta take a punt. Pugh, Arter, Ritchie, O'Kane, Cargill. All watched by City but no gamble taken. Now they're part of a Prem-bound squad.

Who knows, maybe in a year''s time other teams' supporters will be saying "we knew Freeman was available but didn't take a punt on him" whilst watching us on the TV? Maybe they already do?

Who knows, maybe in a year''s time other teams' supporters will be saying "we knew Freeman was available but didn't take a punt on him" whilst watching us on the TV? Maybe they already do?

Indeed. People seem to think we should have ended up with every good player in the country. Every time someone has a good spell there's a thread on how we "let one get away".

Yeah fair comment, I suppose one thing could have benn the fact that we were in the championship at the time (albeit clinging on) and he would have had Albert in his way for a place in the side. Surprised to hear SOD fancied him though, left Albert out a fair bit and didn't give McClaughlin many starts. Wouldn't have thought a winger was what he would be after straight after his appointment.

Not sure what SOD would've done with him, but from conversations I know that he was definitely interested and rated him very highly.

Very true Ian.  I'm glad we took this particular 'gamble'.

Indeed. People seem to think we should have ended up with every good player in the country. Every time someone has a good spell there's a thread on how we "let one get away".

Not true at all.  Personally I've only suggested we've "let one get away" when I've known for a fact that a player has been recommended to the club, I know that the club have watched them, and I know that the club have decided not to follow up.

Of course we can't sign every good player, but we could've gambled on a few more over the years rather than wasting money on some of the shite we've seen in recent years,

Thankfully we appear to be doing better in this regard, but there is always improvement to be made.

Not true at all.  Personally I've only suggested we've "let one get away" when I've known for a fact that a player has been recommended to the club, I know that the club have watched them, and I know that the club have decided not to follow up.

Of course we can't sign every good player, but we could've gambled on a few more over the years rather than wasting money on some of the shite we've seen in recent years,

Thankfully we appear to be doing better in this regard, but there is always improvement to be made.

Wasn't a personal dig mate, but it does seem to be on here that every time a player draws attention anywhere, there's talk about us letting them get away or missing out. It's pretty well accepted now that this season aside, we've recruited appallingly in recent years.

Fingers crossed we're wiser now!

Archived