IGNORED

Bournemouth

BRISTOL86

I mentioned this on a thread a few weeks ago, but some of us remember them coming to the Gate on a Saturday with the threat of going out of business on the Monday hanging over them. They were expected to roll over but beat us 0-1. Ian Cox played an absolute stormer and scored the goal as well if I remember right. That wasn't that long ago really, I'll bet they are a few of their fans that are thinking about that period in their history right now.

I mentioned this on a thread a few weeks ago, but some of us remember them coming to the Gate on a Saturday with the threat of going out of business on the Monday hanging over them. They were expected to roll over but beat us 0-1. Ian Cox played an absolute stormer and scored the goal as well if I remember right. That wasn't that long ago really, I'll bet they are a few of their fans that are thinking about that period in their history right now.

1997. Sure they beat us in the FA Cup around then too, it was live on Sky.

10000 for a game like this - putting it into perspective a little non-league team had 11000 on Saturday. There is that better for you?

How on earth can they survive next year?????

What's attendances got to do with surviving? You're sounding like a saghead thinking attendances are the end all and be all, they mean nothing.

What's attendances got to do with surviving? You're sounding like a saghead thinking attendances are the end all and be all, they mean nothing.

Indeed. Presumably they can spend all of their TV money (and they're bound to get a fair bit of coverage in their first season) and anything they're awarded for actually going up, which is tens of millions isn't it?

Watching the game tonight got me thinking about Le Fondre.

Class player who knows where the net is, and are Cardiff really an attractive proposition in their current state? I'd hope we'd be seen very much as a club on the up.

Don't know what his contract status is, and I'd suspect he may be out of our league from a wages standpoint, but at 28 still has plenty of life in him, and his record speaks for itself. Haven't totted it up but has to be around 1 in 2.

I think I'd rather see a more experienced 'target' man type, with a younger quickie next to him.  Le Fondre is good, but I'd want the experienced member of the partnership to be the target-man type.  I just think this makes for a better partnership, the experience, know-how and leadership coming from the bigger guy, whilst a young snapper takes defences by storm around him.

I think we've got the makings of a good defence, and a good midfield.  Fielding, Flint, Ayling, Williams, Bryan, Smith, Pack & Freeman in my opinion will all make the step up.  We just need a much more effective strike-force to enter the next level up.

I'll be pissed off if they win promotion to be honest. Yet another club makes it to the Premier League before we do.

Us and Brighton are the biggest clubs not to have played in the Premier League. Discuss if you want, but it's true.

Always fascinates me by what people mean by 'bigger' or 'biggest' clubs.

Some say crowds, ok, this season 5.3% of Bournemouth's population regularly watched them play at home.

In our charge to the championship play off final season (in other words the recent season most comparable to Bournemouth's performance this season) 3.8% of Bristol's population regularly watched us at home.

So, what makes us bigger than Bournemouth?

I think I'd rather see a more experienced 'target' man type, with a younger quickie next to him.  Le Fondre is good, but I'd want the experienced member of the partnership to be the target-man type.  I just think this makes for a better partnership, the experience, know-how and leadership coming from the bigger guy, whilst a young snapper takes defences by storm around him.

I think we've got the makings of a good defence, and a good midfield.  Fielding, Flint, Ayling, Williams, Bryan, Smith, Pack & Freeman in my opinion will all make the step up.  We just need a much more effective strike-force to enter the next level up.

I agree that the attack is where we should be focusing. No disrespect to Wilbs or Agard but I just don't see it as a strike partnership that is going to pull up any trees in that league. Clear cut chances are going to be a lot harder to come by than in L1 and we certainly need a clinical finisher. Wilbs goal return has been mind-boggling this season, but history tells you that it's a one-off. He certainly won't get half the chances he's had this season at a higher level.

And nothing against Agard, but he's just not a player you'd back to be tucking away those chances that the most clinical do.

That being said, if we can defend as well as we have this season, that could be pivotal. I'd have no objection to us being kings of the 1-0! 

• Admin

Very similar to my own thoughts on another thread earlier this evening. Stick a 20 goal at Championship level striker in to this team and it won't be far away from being a promotion candidate. Pair him with the right strike partner plus upgrade Little or Pack and things get very interesting.

Before you start on me Harry, I'm not dismissing Pack, he'd still be on my bench, making it stronger. ;)

I am sure Our management are already aware of the need, identifying Afobe and Sears this season as potential targets but the league 1 status meant we could not compete. Now we are in the championship we need to aim high for the best strike force available.

Colts record of resigning loan signings from last season does not mean we will go back for Matt Smith, Saville, or Tavernier.

We will need 4 good strikers for competition. Wills and Agard plus two of similar stature but better quality to compete at the top end of the championship.

Cant wait for the transfer window to open.

I watched Northern Ireland v Finland a few weeks ago and thought Lafferty would be absolutely ideal.  He's leading a poor international team into the next Euros.  Did Cotterill manage him at Burnley?  

I'd mix your suggestions up - Lafferty and Bradshaw,

Yes, SC gave him his debut at Burnley.

Lafferty / Bradshaw.  Yes, that's good.

When I saw Lafferty t'other day I wondered whether he had Cotts history (thinking how often managers go to players they've had before) and looked it up and Harry's right - Cotts gave him his debut

Lafferty playing abroad at mo ?

Wouldn't shock me to see him linked

Also have to say I didn't see Sears being the success he has in Champ when others were suggesting him

Archived