IGNORED

Williams Stand Farewell

ciderbeans

My father falling over whilst cheering a Brian Tinnion free kick against Millwall on Boxing Day, 1997. He was right by the gantry ladder and had to use it haul himself back up.

We won 4-1. Rob Edwards scored from flicking on a Greg Goodridge throw in too over a portly and completely past it Nigel Spink. 

Go on then I'll kick off. Was in what was the old enclosure with my Dad. Think I must have been about 10 at the time. Dad said I could get a packet of crisps which I duly did but then could not find my way back to him as the tunnel was between us. I did not realise that I had gone from one side to the other across the top part. So did what all kids are told to do, asked a policeman. He took me to a club official and then comes an announcement over the PA "will Mr. ***** please come to the office to pick up his son!"

Fond memories of the Enclosure as it was known before it was all seater. Took my girlfriend (now my wife of 44 years) to See City play for our FIRST date in the mid 60's, cant remember who we played, being only 5 foot all she can remember is looking at people's heads. Sunday will be very emotional for me for a number of reasons. After the match, took her into the supporters club for a drink. We old uns knew how to treat a girl in those days :clapping::clapping:

Happy to see it replaced as far as I'm concerned. Over all the years I've supported the club it's the only part of the ground I've never used on a regular basis.

Don't really know why, but for some reason it never appealed to me to watch from the stand or the enclosure.

one of my fondest memories would be 'sharing' the after aroma of a kiosk pasty during a night game against Northampton, in the old black and white days of standing in the front enclosure and wandering to which ever end City were attacking. I suddenly found myself standing all alone in about a 10ft circle clearing of supporters.

Happy days indeed!

I remember watching us play west ham some nob of a West ham fan walking along the wall above the the enclosure giving to the city fans below. Then some kid must have be no more than 8 years old gave him a shove as he ran passed. Must be said what happened after must have been close to the worst days of his life.

We're any of you otibers one of fans welcoming a flying wham fan into the enclosure?

Bizarrely, some might remember a regular bit of half-time exhibitionism from a young lady in the Williams in the late 80s. As a regular in the Dolman, I could never quite see what was going on, and the industrial-grade binoculars proved surprisingly unhelpful.

Fond memories of the Enclosure as it was known before it was all seater. Took my girlfriend (now my wife of 44 years) to See City play for our FIRST date in the mid 60's, cant remember who we played, being only 5 foot all she can remember is looking at people's heads. Sunday will be very emotional for me for a number of reasons. After the match, took her into the supporters club for a drink. We old uns knew how to treat a girl in those days :clapping::clapping:

When I first started going to games (89/90 season) my Dad and his friends would stand near the back of the terrace in the Williams, and me and my mates would go down the front and sit on the railing which was attached to the wall at the front!

Best game in the Williams was when we played Watford in the league 07/08 season I.e. When we nearly went up to Prem and Basso saved a penalty and did his infamous fingers pointing to God, the Williams was electric when he saved it and then endless chants of 'Oh Basso', never heard a noise like it from the Williams, must be something in those wooden seats!!

Having sat in the Williams stand a few times this season I don't think anyone can argue that the new stand will be a vast improvement!

Never really had much to do with the Williams myself, had a ST in there years ago as it was a gift, couldn't wait to get back into the old Eastend though before now settling in the Dolman. And it's fom the Dolman that I shall miss her. It always looks cold and dark looking across, a very old and grey stand. Well it does when I got the sun in my eyes, not looking forward to having no Williams sun shield!

I did think to myself during the Coventry game how different it was going to look at the start of next season, but then I glance across at the new South Stand and the Dolman work, she has served her time but needs to go. The South Stand looks hugely impressive, and the new Williams will better that by some distance I think. Exciting times.

My only memories of the stand in recent years:

- hospitality vs Sheff Utd under SOD where we lost the game 1-0 late on. Dire, dire game.

- free tickets that I won off of JET on Twitter when we beat Palarse in the cup in the same season. Sitting behind what I presume were Waggy's family as they got very excited every time he touched he ball.

Kilkenny was sat a couple of rows over, slumped in a seat with his hands in his pocket, his tracksuit top up around his face, looking like a moody teenager.

Archived