IGNORED

Williams Stand Farewell

ciderbeans

Mostly of the wooden seats flying towards the away end with the likes of Cardiff, Rovers & millwall in there. Chasing out some unfortunate Plymouth fans, not a stand ive bothered with much, but give me the Williams over the ATYEO anyday, for some reason I hate that stand, I wish they were bulldozering that too, we can only hope....

Went there for the first time (excluding standing on the open end) against Crewe. I was not impressed :(

When I was a kid my grandad used to babysit me and my two sisters every Sunday, every week he would tell us to pick something we wanted to do that day I always used to ask to go to the city ground as back then it was open and fans were able to go in and out the Williams stand on non match days. Anyway we all had to write on a piece of paper what we wanted to do and he would pick at random, little did my sisters know he would switch theirs and write on all three pieces of paper the city ground. Every Sunday without fail and much too my sisters disappointment we would head down Ashton gate were he would read his paper in the stands and we would run around up and down the stairs (I was easily pleased!). Even though this isn't a match related memory every time I see the red gates at the front of the Williams it reminds me of him and brings a smile to my face.

Watched most big games over the years from the Williams.

First memory was in the old first division beating Liverpool 1-0 with a goal from Joe Royle. I was sat on the wall at the front in a crowd of over 30,000.

Forest semi final in the rain, what a gallant effort, and Hereford to win our first ever trip to Wembley are a couple other highlights.

Now? Can't wait to see it pulled down..

Most games for me was in the East end from 76 onward, but my dad took me in the enclosure quite a few times. Did we smash Birmingham 5-0 on a boxing day ? Someone will probably remember it better than me, memory's a bit fuzzy from those days. 

I do remember there being a step behind the old dugouts where me and other kids used to bang our fists on the away dugout roof all game . Pissed quite a few away benches off :laughcont:

V Liverpool '76 I think? 39000 in the gate. Me, my old dad (gone now) and my 5ft wife who was 18 and saw next to nothing stood in the old enclosure. Won 2-1 chrissy notching them both. Great night, great times, great memories. Shame to see the old stand go but can't wait to see the replacement

I was a ballboy on a couple of occasions in front of the Williams with my Dad sat a few rows behind. Strange experience holding on to the ball whilst Dani Rodrigues lead there with a snapped leg.

Also had a decent meal with my Dad just before the end of last season in the Williams before stepping out to watch the game in "the posh seats". The last full season my Dad got to see unfortunately so will always have that in mind.

Sat in the Williiams as a youngster for the quite strange football skills programme - a football version of Its a Knockout?

Anyone remember that and what it was called?

Also remember being in the enclosure for the late 70s Leeds game being abandoned at HT.

Another ex enclosure lad. My old man made a folding stool from tubular steel he nicked from work and it weighed a ton (to a 7 year old). We used to set the stool up for me just to the right of the tunnel in the first division days. Imagine trying to get that into a ground now? I saw Whitehead score THAT goal from the enclosure and pretty much all the home 1st division games from there. As we dropped, I carried on in the enclosure but the Grandstand lost something when they seated the enclosure. The castellated wall, the camaraderie of the old days etc etc. This doesn't feel as bad as when the EE went but with the Dolman not really being the stand it was originally with all the refurbishements, it feels like the last link to our GREAT side is going. Here's to emuating that great side eh?

Watched my 2nd ever City game from there. The stand itself is full of moaners and old gits mainly but that's why I love AG because each stand has its own identity and it attracts a certain type of person.

The Williams is a very quirky stand and I will miss looking at it. I have been to a few games in there and thise memories have been brilliant. Going to miss it and now I wish I had gone to more games in there as still I get confused where toilets etc are.

It is a little sad that it's likely that the last game the Willims will be in action for wont be a City game so we can't really give it a send off like we did the EE.

Loved the enclosure, the Hereford semi final was amongst the best atmosphere I can remember. Must mention the 3-1 fa cup match vs Chelsea when we dominated then, rocking would b an understatement. When we used to into the grandstand in the late 80's you felt like it was a real treat and it had a very different feel to the standing below.had many a good evening as guests of Coors brewers in the hospitality and sitting in the posh, padded, seats. Served her time very well.

It will leave me with fond memories.

It's been my Stand of choice since following the Club.

From standing at the front singing my heart out as a kid, sitting with the players and the wags, the 'posh' seats and Directors box.

Even spent a season 'reporting' from the Press box area, which was surreal as a supporter, and my most funny experience.

That story has two pages in the Bristol City fans memories book.... quiet a bet.

The Hospitality lounges, bars, offices, old changing rooms and boot room, Club Trophy room, players bar....sitting in the Directors and Chairmans offices etc

Walking around the inner sanctums on my own looking at all the old pictures on the corridor walls....just taking all the history in.

Getting drunk with Lee Peacock in the players bar. Sitting chatting with Benny for an hour about football and not understanding a word....very funny.

So many experiences....I know that stand like the back of my hand....

Just recollecting those thoughts has brought a big smile to my face. :) and :sad26:

I was a ballboy on a couple of occasions in front of the Williams with my Dad sat a few rows behind. Strange experience holding on to the ball whilst Dani Rodrigues lead there with a snapped leg.

Also had a decent meal with my Dad just before the end of last season in the Williams before stepping out to watch the game in "the posh seats". The last full season my Dad got to see unfortunately so will always have that in mind.

I've already posted my memories but you've jogged some others I have Robin..

I used to ballboy as well between 97-99 and often enjoyed sitting between the dugouts which was always cracking, especially to see up close the opposition managers going ballistic. John Gregory, in charge at Wycombe, kept holding his hand up in apology every time he swore due to the old boys sat behind him chastising him for his language  :clapping: Alan Little, York gaffer at the time, commending his players for playing hoof balls was equally hilarious.

Steve Bruce getting narky for me chucking the ball to Terry Connor to hold onto to time waste vs Sheffield United was a good un along with Peter Reid littering the front of the Williams away dugout with chewing gum wrappers...the bloke had a plastic bag with him that was filled with packets of Wrigleys. Crazy. 

And finally...John Ward getting some grief off someone in the stand (in 97/98) only to turn round and exclaim to the moaner- 'oh shut up!!' Funnily enough the guy said nothing for the rest of the match as everyone else chuckled at Ward giving some back!! 

It will leave me with fond memories.

It's been my Stand of choice since following the Club.

From standing at the front singing my heart out as a kid, sitting with the players and the wags, the 'posh' seats and Directors box.

Even spent a season 'reporting' from the Press box area, which was surreal as a supporter, and my most funny experience.

That story has two pages in the Bristol City fans memories book.... quiet a bet.

The Hospitality lounges, bars, offices, old changing rooms and boot room, Club Trophy room, players bar....sitting in the Directors and Chairmans offices etc

Walking around the inner sanctums on my own looking at all the old pictures on the corridor walls....just taking all the history in.

Getting drunk with Lee Peacock in the players bar. Sitting chatting with Benny for an hour about football and not understanding a word....very funny.

So many experiences....I know that stand like the back of my hand....

Just recollecting those thoughts has brought a big smile to my face. :) and :sad26:

That's another aspect for me. My dad's old office - now an annex to Legends Bar (or whatever it's called this week) - will finally be gone.

Last time I was in that bar - rented for a family do a couple of years ago - there was still a little cardboard letter rack I'd made as an 8-year-old for my dad (after being inspired by Blue Peter) being used to keep the hospitality suite's correspondence.  

Memories...   :sad26:

Used to stand by the "Halfway" wall above the old tunnel with my dad and two brothers.

We watched from there as our team rose to Glory, then hurtled toward Bankruptcy in a few short seasons.

Same old faces in the same old places, week in, week out. There was a special atmosphere in the Enclosure.

Even though the seats replaced the terracing, I could always pick out "our spot" above the tunnel. 

It will be a sad farewell to the old girl on Sunday, and as I exit Ashton Gate for the last time this season, I have no doubt I'll glance back for one final look at that special place.

Memories will be all we have of the Grandstand and Enclosure, But I will cherish these very special memories.

I will never forget the "Grandstand and Enclosure" - this video sums it up for me when dad started taken me to the "gate" 

Dad smoked Golden Virginia at that time and I always remember the sign on the Grandstand (now Williams - not for long) - thanks dad for the memories...

I loved AG in 79 (aged 8) - I will love it as much in it's new format in 2015 (aged 44)

Used to stand by the "Halfway" wall above the old tunnel with my dad and two brothers.

We watched from there as our team rose to Glory, then hurtled toward Bankruptcy in a few short seasons.

Same old faces in the same old places, week in, week out. There was a special atmosphere in the Enclosure.

Even though the seats replaced the terracing, I could always pick out "our spot" above the tunnel. 

It will be a sad farewell to the old girl on Sunday, and as I exit Ashton Gate for the last time this season, I have no doubt I'll glance back for one final look at that special place.

Memories will be all we have of the Grandstand and Enclosure, But I will cherish these very special memories.

Another who gathered in a regular spot by the tunnel at one time - as you say despite standing, same faces , same places - such happy memories - LOVED the Enclosure - could be real intimidating in the bigger games - and thanks for the video Tomarse - Reminded me how I associated Castella Signs / Adverts with AG ( and the smell of cigarettes and especially cigars)

sat in the grandstand since 75-76 (started in the Open End) 3 generations and for the last 30 years in front of the away directors box. my old man always shakes the away directors hands and welcomes them to AG. Roy Hattersley for Sheff Wed games one of the politest. that orange chairman for Palace one of the biggest idiots. we are right to SL and its amazing how he keeps calm and keeps smiling.

Archived