IGNORED

New Badge?

BRISTOL86

If true then presumably this is a way for the club to be able to change the Bristol Coat of Arms enough to trademark it.  

Personally, I far prefer the coat of arms to the Robin.   Which to me isn't much more than a gimmick that was brought in for our spell in the first division, just see how Cardiff and Hull have reacted to their similar recent changes and proposals to see how well the idea would go down if muted now.  

Why? That doesn't look right at all. Looks like someone accidently clicked the "fill" button on paint shop.

Ha, that was my very first thought. Didn't like it at all at first but trying to picture it against the full red backdrop of the shirt. Might actually look OK.

Don't see why it needs changing though. 

Bring back the robin and suspension bridge iconic badge and ditch the 1897 nonsense. Bristol City were formed in 1894 as Bristol South End. Why on earth would Bristol City Council give a street off St John's Lane the name Bristol South End in recognition of a club that only existed for three years over a century ago! They did so because Bristol South End was the first name for Bristol City just as The Black Arabs was the first name of Bristol Rovers in 1883, but you don't get Rovers putting 1900 on their badge (about the time they changed from Eastville Rovers to Bristol Rovers). It's odd that whoever inflicts this coat of arms biz on us does so because they like tradition and then contradicts themselves by making us younger than we are. (There is actually an argument to say that following the female line of our amalgamation with Bedminster in 1900 that the club was formed in 1887...Bedminster having lost their name in the marriage.)

Has anyone else noticed the year? On the badge it's 1897 but I noticed at the Cov game that the flags being waved by the tunnel said 1894. Just an observation.

e The reason 1897 ever surfaced was simply a marketing opportunity. In 1994, the 100th anniversary of what is generally accepted as the year the club was formed, a different board of directors were in situ and failed to mark the anniversary. Then in 1995-96 that board were bought out and a new board of directors were at the helm. They wanted to celebrate the 100 years but found it rather difficult seeing that the anniversary had passed. Therefore, they seized upon the year Bristol South End changed their name to Bristol City and joined the Southern League, 1897, as the new year for our formation and thus enabled them to be in situ for the new 100th anniversary in 1997 and increase revenue etc. The myth was then propagated that we were formed in 1897...absolute rot.

With regards to why I   like the robin and suspension bridge badge over the unicorns is simplicity. Whoever designed the robin badge was an absolute genius. It contains just three images, a robin on a football and in the background the suspension bridge. Yet it says it all. The suspension bridge brings Bristol to mind and the robin on the football that it is a team known as the robins who play in Bristol, indeed with the iconic bridge as a backdrop.

I think most halfwits in the country would be able to figure out that the robin badge was Bristol City without any writing on the badge needed. However, remove the legend from the unicorns badge and I reckon even university professors would struggle to correlate it to our club.

The greatest designs are the simplest.

Ok more like 'new version of current badge' but that doesn't make for such a snappy title!

Just spotted this, presume it's a teaser before a new kit release.

image.jpg

Total carp. Bring back the robin on the gate or the suspension bridge. That could equally well be the Sags :facepalm:

The badge was and still is far too cluttered with way too many colours. It resembles an 'O' Level Art Etching.

What is the point of all that detail and poorly executed at that? Its nonsense. Better do away with much of it like Arsenal did some years ago and theirs was already much less cluttered than ours. Keep the essential bits, change the red sky above the ship to proper colour and make the horses red.. why have we got yellow ones? duhh!!.. Why have we got a crest within a crest? Now we have a red box outside the outer crest... so instead of simplification we have just added another layer of irrelevant complication.

the whole thing is a physcedelic mess of epic proportions... but i still prefer it to some fat little robin.

I wouldn't mind the robin and suspension bridge but aslong as its different to the one in the 70s, it's a little naff for the 21st century. If we could modernise it a little then I'm all for it!

The badge was and still is far too cluttered. What is the point of all that detail? Its nonsense. Better do away with much of it like Arsenal did some years ago and theirs was already much less cluttered than ours. Keep the essential bits, change the red sky above the ship to proper colour and make the horses red.. why have we got yellow ones? duhh!!.. the whole thing is a physcedelic mess of epic proportions... but i still prefer it to some fat little robin.

Robins aren't fat. They're bursting with aggression :boxing:

You probably don't get them in Havana :(

PS I rescued one the other day and took it to the vet, from whence it was transferred to Secret World for recovery and release. Rather than meeping in fear it was cursing in fluent Robin and trying to batter its way out of the box. Prolly didn't help that the box was marked "Cat Food" ;)

The robin logo is naff. Primary school design.

The coat of arms is classy and historical.

Opinions.

Everyone has one.

That's the problem though as it is not our own  personal exclusive identity. You mean opinions but i mean in Bristol everyone has a ruddy crest.

We are a South west club with fans outside Bristol who for some don't give a monkeys about the Bristol crest that has been used by the Gas and even Glous Cricket.

A modern Robin version would be great.

The Robin = Nickname

The Bridge = South Bristol, our home location

The Ball = Is what we do

The badge was and still is far too cluttered with way too many colours. It resembles an 'O' Level Art Etching.

What is the point of all that detail and poorly executed at that? Its nonsense. Better do away with much of it like Arsenal did some years ago and theirs was already much less cluttered than ours. Keep the essential bits, change the red sky above the ship to proper colour and make the horses red.. why have we got yellow ones? duhh!!.. Why have we got a crest within a crest? Now we have a red box outside the outer crest... so instead of simplification we have just added another layer of irrelevant complication.

the whole thing is a physcedelic mess of epic proportions... but i still prefer it to some fat little robin.

I'd rather see a fat robin on my garden fence than a pair of b****y unicorns. I would be extremely worried if I seen two unicorns on my fence, not for the sake of the unicorns but for the sake of my sanity. Aizoon, good on yer taking that injured robin to secret world. I've done that journey several times with injured birds. Also took my ex there once on an open day, so I suppose she can also be classed as an injured bird.

A1

I'd rather see a fat robin on my garden fence than a pair of b****y unicorns. I would be extremely worried if I seen two unicorns on my fence, not for the sake of the unicorns but for the sake of my sanity. Aizoon, good on yer taking that injured robin to secret world. I've done that journey several times with injured birds. Also took my ex there once on an open day, so I suppose she can also be classed as an injured bird.

A1

And they look after hedgehogs. Bless!

Archived