IGNORED

Jimmy Greaves

cider-manc

Saw him score 2 against us at White Heart Lane late 60's in FA cup, top player unfortunate not to play in World Cup final. Met him at a couple of sportsmans diners always willing to chat. Autobiography a good read

Great bloke, get well mate.

First Div 1 game I ever saw was Spurs V Nottingham Forest in 1962. Forest scored the first and last goals but in between shipped 9! Greaves got 4 - probably the best English forward I have ever seen and I have been about a bit. After that game saw a few of the players come out of the ground and believe it or not Greaves and Maurice Norman got on a bus! Different world. Get well soon Jimmy.

He was the best goalscorer of his day. Deadly in front of goal and rarely missed a decent chance. I watched him regularly during his Spurs and West Ham days on MOTD. Like many top goalscorers he didn't do much else but always seemed to be in the right place and the right time.

The nearest City player in my time to have that same knack was Tony "tap-in" Thorpe.

The players of my boyhood are all ageing now and eventually passing on and should Greavsie not make it I for one will be very sad.

Sad news,a mate of mine was at a dinner at Exeter City last week and JG was the main speaker. He said he was on top form and a lovely bloke.

I don't think he has been well for a long time. Needs all the help he can get now.. and he's obviously in the right place for it. Loved the Saint & Greavsie show.

I don't think he has been well for a long time. Needs all the help he can get now.. and he's obviously in the right place for it. Loved the Saint & Greavsie show.

Was always better than football focus.

Archived